Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat Shield around main cat.  (Read 2998 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Heat Shield around main cat.
« on: 09 June 2016, 19:56:34 »

The heat shield around the main cat on the 2.2 is loose, it's flapping about a fair bit.

Option A: Was thinking self tappers through the shield into the body? Anything to watch out for? Current bolt area is badly rusted, so would need to target fresh metal.

Option B: Remove heat shield completely, any side affects?

Thoughts?  :y

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Shield around main cat.
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2016, 20:00:34 »

Pretty sure I binned mine without any ill effects, you could whack a steel belt type thing round it to keep it on 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2016, 20:04:45 »

Sorry should clarify, it's the heat shield attached to the body of the car. Or partially in my case  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2016, 00:19:37 »

The heat shield around the main cat on the 2.2 is loose, it's flapping about a fair bit.

Option A: Was thinking self tappers through the shield into the body? Anything to watch out for? Current bolt area is badly rusted, so would need to target fresh metal.

Option A: ensure that the screw doesn't pull the carpet threads. And they don't work very well.

Option B: not that I've found. Quick, easy and effective.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2016, 07:32:25 »

Option A: ensure that the screw doesn't pull the carpet threads. And they don't work very well.

Seconded... Pull it off
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2016, 09:11:35 »

It'll fix itself..... eventually!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2016, 09:13:54 »

Ive used some of that epoxy metal putty stuff to basically bond an upside down bolt to where the old studs were, then slide heatshield up, and nut to hold in place.
Not much stress involved, so will do the job.  bit of a bodge but will work well enough

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2016, 13:11:32 »

Seconded... Pull it off

I'm liking that idea  :D

It'll fix itself..... eventually!  :D

By falling off?  ;D

Ive used some of that epoxy metal putty stuff to basically bond an upside down bolt to where the old studs were, then slide heatshield up, and nut to hold in place.
Not much stress involved, so will do the job.  bit of a bodge but will work well enough

Great suggestion, never thought of that. I might have a dig around to see what random bolts I have, see if I have anything suitable.

If not, I'll pull it off as being 2.2 it generates a lot less heat than the V6.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2016, 13:12:16 »

Out of interest Jimbob, which epoxy stuff did you use?

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2016, 14:12:54 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201041218566?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9046493&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-156022130226&adtype=pla&crdt=0

been handy for all sorts of jobs.  Seems good stuff.

Make a blob of the stuff, mould it round the bolt head, mould both bits to underside of car.  Stuck fine.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2016, 14:22:28 »

Not to be a grump, but epoxy softens with heat ::)

Either fix it properly, (but clear the floor inside first as two bloody great cable trays connect the two a pillars across the floor...)

Or remove it :y

Leaving it is a non option... over time you'll forget, and one day it will fall off... the car behind probably won't appreciate it when it does :-X

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2016, 14:24:13 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201041218566?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9046493&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-156022130226&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Make a blob of the stuff, mould it round the bolt head, mould both bits to underside of car.  Stuck fine.

'Tis useful stuff indeed .. I get mine from this link ... (nearly half your links price !)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abro-Steel-QuickSteel-Reinforced-Epoxy-Metal-Instant-Repair-Putty-Weld-2OZ-AS224-/131724543804

and find one of their suggestions "interesting" although I've not yet tried it ...

"To re-tap a worn thread, fill the hole with Abro Steel, treat the bolt or screw with WD40 and force it into the putty, wait 2-3 minutes and give the screw a half turn. Once the Abro Steel has hardened you can remove the screw to find a new thread."

:)

Edit ... following HKT's post may I add this from the tech spec ??

"Abro Steel is resistant to temperatures between -70ºC and +260ºC and, once cured, is impervious to most acids and solvents (including petrol and diesel). "

I've never had it soften on anything I've mended with it .. including the exhaust on the mower !!

« Last Edit: 10 June 2016, 14:26:05 by Entwood »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2016, 14:36:54 »

'Tis useful stuff indeed .. I get mine from this link ... (nearly half your links price !)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abro-Steel-QuickSteel-Reinforced-Epoxy-Metal-Instant-Repair-Putty-Weld-2OZ-AS224-/131724543804

and find one of their suggestions "interesting" although I've not yet tried it ...

"To re-tap a worn thread, fill the hole with Abro Steel, treat the bolt or screw with WD40 and force it into the putty, wait 2-3 minutes and give the screw a half turn. Once the Abro Steel has hardened you can remove the screw to find a new thread."

"Abro Steel is resistant to temperatures between -70ºC and +260ºC and, once cured, is impervious to most acids and solvents (including petrol and diesel). "

I've never had it soften on anything I've mended with it .. including the exhaust on the mower !!

Kin ell, Double Bond reborn   :y

Used to use that stuff for allsorts of things when at Binbrook  ;)
In fact, along with Araldite, that was what held Lightnings together in the last few years of service  :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2016, 14:39:35 »

Kin ell, Double Bond reborn   :y

Used to use that stuff for allsorts of things when at Binbrook  ;)
In fact, along with Araldite, that was what held Lightnings together in the last few years of service  :D

You forgot to mention speedtape .....  :)  .. Hercules fleet would have ceased to function without it !!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2016, 14:40:19 »

Yep, epoxy does soften with heat but, different epoxy will tolerate different levels of heat and that area won't see high levels so all good   :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.