Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't start, possibly starter motor  (Read 4464 times)

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • 2002 Omega 2.6V6 auto CDX
    • View Profile
Re: Won't start, possibly starter motor
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2017, 16:15:51 »

Battery was tested by the recovery guy as he tried to jump start it initially, he then used a tester to check the battery wasn't duff using a multi meter.

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2017, 16:17:29 »

We have tried jumping it during recovery and the recovery guy checked the battery using a multi meter.
I'll pull the other car up and retry. Anything is worth a go.

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2017, 16:36:24 »

Just tried it no luck, not even getting a click now.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2017, 17:53:11 »

Just tried it no luck, not even getting a click now.
Put a set jump leads on it and see what happens...

But first, follow this...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90619.0

... to the letter and report back exactly how healthy your battery is :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2017, 18:40:01 »

Will pop out tomorrow and get a multi meter. Thanks for the help, determined to have it back running this weekend

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2017, 16:31:31 »

Right good news, battery is fine, tested the voltage from the battery, all good, also the starter has a permanent live and a switch live when I turn the key, managed to get it fired up this morning by giving the starter a really good whack but it won't start on its own so have managed to get a new starter and the car is off to have it replaced, managed to get the bolts unattached that hold the starter in but the bugger won't come out without taking an engine mount off, luckily my cousin has a unit so its off down there shortly to have new starter put on so should be back on the road tomorrow, still a long way to go but I will take pics of it each time I do anything major, as doing a complete overhaul of the interior, leaving the exterior as is as it is a good condition on the exterior.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2017, 18:00:29 »

Well, at least you've saved a few quid not needing a battery... Starters on these are normally bombproof, but there's always an exception ::)

Job jobbed hopefully ;y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2017, 20:55:33 »

Its alive at long last, new starter and fired straight up, now on to sort the next problem. Thanks all for suggestions and advice.

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2017, 10:48:20 »

Just had the same problem on my 1999 2.5 CDX.

Over the past few months the starter would randomly not start at the first turn of the key. You could hear a loud click so I guessed the solenoid was playing up but it would fire up on the second or third turn of the key so it never left me stranded. So I decided to ignore it. :D The car battery is brand new and fully charged (regularly trickled charged using my CTEK battery charger/conditioner).

However, once the cold weather arrived this started to get worse untill a complete failure last week. No amount of key action would get it to fire. I tried the time honoured trick of hitting the solenoid/starter.....nothing. Luckily the car was stranded outside my house.

So, I replaced the starter and the engine now fires up as normal. Result. I guess 19 years service from the original starter is not bad :y

Replacing the starter was a bit of a pain (a good article in the maintenance section helps) as I am not as young as I used to be.

I have managed to loose one of the engine mount nuts into the sub-frame!!!! Anyone got any spares? Engine mount lower nut.

The big problem was getting the car off the street and onto my drive to do the work. It's a big car to tow and with no power steering. The wife was not happy!

Now my other Omega (1998, 2.5 Elite) is starting to play up with the exact problem. >:(

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 January 2017, 12:40:41 »

Yeah replacing the starter was by no means fun, luckily my cousin has a unit and tow truck so wasn't huge problem to move it. I don't know if I'm gonna regret buying it yet, got it back home and worked out the HBV has failed, I kind of guessed the rocker cover is leaking oil so got both of those still to sort, but I can't complain too much, iv set the total amount I'm using to get it through its MOT and as long as no new problems should go through without too much more money. Got both HBV and rocker cover gasket ordered and still spent less than £400 for the car and getting it sorted.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2017, 13:03:14 »

My 2000 2.5CDX estate had the same problem 2 months ago. I changed the starter before it failed completely thank God. Seems like the starter motor is bompproof. but the solenoid and contacts are not. I think I kept the old starter planning to clean the solenoid, but have not yet done so. I wasn't sure the solenoid was the fault until I replaced the starter.
i

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 January 2017, 11:10:51 »

Yep, I have also kept the old starter too with a view to refurbishing the solenoid.

Bet that never happens and the starter migrates to the back of the garage to join all the other unfinished "projects"  :y

I am now looking at changing the starter on my other Omega (it's just started to do the "click" thing). I really can't pluck up the courage to work under a car again until the weather gets better.

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2017, 23:49:30 »

Further to my previous post.

My second Omega (1998 2.5 Elite) died with a faulty starter motor this week. Turn the ignition on and "click", further attempts and still no go. (Battery is fully charged using a constant trickle charge using a CTEK charger/conditioner).

Over the last two weeks it had been getting progressively harder to start with a few "clicks" and non starts but it would eventually fire up. Then I had a complete non start no matter how many times the ignition switch was turned (again battery charge is good).

Luckily this time this happened on my drive but two failed starter motors within two weeks must be some sort of record?

However, with the knowledge of replacing a starter still fresh in my mind this one was done within a couple of hours. Result :y

And just in case, I did check the starter motor off the car and it was defective (as was the first one I took off my other Omega).

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 February 2017, 06:56:43 »

The last starter I fitted to a V6 was one I had salvaged from a car I had scrapped, but it was quite a fag to salvage it. I see they are available on e-bay for under £30, making the effort of salvage and storage dubious. Isn't it a joy running a mass produced car with used spares available at sensible prices, and having the internet to locate them!

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 February 2017, 11:28:13 »

I also have a good local independent motor factors but I agree that the internet has made sourcing parts much easier.

My main focus is now running and rebuilding two MG Maestro's. The parts availability is not that good now but ebay has been a invaluable.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.