Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Statins  (Read 4405 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Statins
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2019, 19:16:39 »

Been on statins for about 6 years with no issues. Where my weight has been creeping up & I had put on 3kg over the last 12 months I had worsening lower joint pain & my Type 2 diabetes control has been worse. I had over the last 6 months been cutting out carbohydrates like potatoes & rice, but could not face going without brown bread, but after being told if my weight & insulation resistance were not better controlled long term I would probably end up having to inject insulation, it was time to take action. Four weeks a go I started a very low calorie & carb diet which meant totally cutting out bread, but also eating plenty of protein so I don't lose muscle bulk. Within 3 days my lower joint pain had gone so there is obviously something in wheat that my body doesn't like that I was previously unaware of.

I've personally found it the easiest diet I've ever been on, where hunger is a dull ache rather than run out of short energy boosting carbohydrates cravings & in the 4 weeks, I've lost 5kg. Daily, it consists of meat, fish, eggs, nuts, non-root vegetables, salads & small quantities of lower sugar & carbohydrate fruits like strawberries, blackberries & blueberries. The only disadvantage I've found is where it contains less fibre I'm not so regular, so I'm now taking a Psyllium husk & Inulin fibre supplement which is helping. If you want a weekend alcoholic drink, high carbohydrate beer is out where it is made from malted barley & likewise cider from its high sugar content. Dry white & red wine are fine & where I like pint sized drinks, white wine & carbonated water is an acceptable substitute.

This is the book I found most useful for setting up a low carbohydrate diet: "The Real Meal Revolution by Professor John Noakes

and this one recommended by my diabetic nurse for fast safe weight loss: "The Fast 800" by Dr Michael Mosley.

and if in the future (I don't yet & I'm very happy with the current diet) if I want to make some very low carb bread (about 10g a slice) I've now got a couple of recipe books for this. The only thing is that wheat flour substitutes like almond flour are expensive, so you are looking at £3 a loaf in ingredients even when buying in reasonable bulk quantities.

Where there are two types of cholesterol, HDL is fine, it is LDL that is the problem & from what I've read, when on a low carb diet you can't make much of this. I've got a fasting blood test in November & will keep you posted on any improvements.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2019, 19:19:23 »

Been on statins for about 6 years with no issues. Where my weight has been creeping up & I had put on 3kg over the last 12 months I had worsening lower joint pain & my Type 2 diabetes control has been worse. I had over the last 6 months been cutting out carbohydrates like potatoes & rice, but could not face going without brown bread, but after being told if my weight & insulation resistance were not better controlled long term I would probably end up having to inject insulation, it was time to take action. Four weeks a go I started a very low calorie & carb diet which meant totally cutting out bread, but also eating plenty of protein so I don't lose muscle bulk. Within 3 days my lower joint pain had gone so there is obviously something in wheat that my body doesn't like that I was previously unaware of.

I've personally found it the easiest diet I've ever been on, where hunger is a dull ache rather than run out of short energy boosting carbohydrates cravings & in the 4 weeks, I've lost 5kg. Daily, it consists of meat, fish, eggs, nuts, non-root vegetables, salads & small quantities of lower sugar & carbohydrate fruits like strawberries, blackberries & blueberries. The only disadvantage I've found is where it contains less fibre I'm not so regular, so I'm now taking a Psyllium husk & Inulin fibre supplement which is helping. If you want a weekend alcoholic drink, high carbohydrate beer is out where it is made from malted barley & likewise cider from its high sugar content. Dry white & red wine are fine & where I like pint sized drinks, white wine & carbonated water is an acceptable substitute.

This is the book I found most useful for setting up a low carbohydrate diet: "The Real Meal Revolution by Professor John Noakes

and this one recommended by my diabetic nurse for fast safe weight loss: "The Fast 800" by Dr Michael Mosley.

and if in the future (I don't yet & I'm very happy with the current diet) if I want to make some very low carb bread (about 10g a slice) I've now got a couple of recipe books for this. The only thing is that wheat flour substitutes like almond flour are expensive, so you are looking at £3 a loaf in ingredients even when buying in reasonable bulk quantities.

Where there are two types of cholesterol, HDL is fine, it is LDL that is the problem & from what I've read, when on a low carb diet you can't make much of this. I've got a fasting blood test in November & will keep you posted on any improvements.

Gluten?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2019, 19:56:19 »

Possibly.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2019, 20:42:44 »

If so then you'll have had a double benefit as I assume you'd cut out beer too  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2019, 07:37:06 »

Possibly.

Yeah, all you hipsters are gluten intolerant these days..  :P ;)

My exes dad was on Statins - whichever variant they were gave him terrible aches & pains to the point he struggled doing what he enjoyed (restoring old motorbikes) so he stopped taking them. That was .. seven years ago, maybe, when we were still together.

He's no longer with us, sadly, due to a heart attack in his 50s a couple of years ago. So .. maybe consider taking them, Ste? (Ste? STEMO doesn't seem appropriate when I'm not ripping the piss and being serious for a change..)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2019, 09:00:01 »

If so then you'll have had a double benefit as I assume you'd cut out beer too  :y

Absolutely, only now drinking a few wines at the weekend.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2019, 11:01:58 »

Thanks, all. The doc is ringing later, so I'll get the actual figures then. I had a good read up on't internet and for every negative there is a positive. Isn't that always the way.

If he/she were to tell me that I could eat whatever shite I wanted to and the statins were a get out of jail free card, I'd be straight on them.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2019, 11:33:30 »

The doctor just rang. Total cholesterol, which ideally should be below 5, is 6.3, so she recommended statins. When I pushed her on my LDL (bad cholesterol) reading, which should be below 3, she told me it was 2.7.
These buggers try to get you to accept that anything over 5 for total cholesterol is bad and you should take statins, but I've read it's the LDL that counts. 'Eat healthier and we'll test you again in three months' she said. Yeah, right.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2019, 12:17:35 »

The doctor just rang. Total cholesterol, which ideally should be below 5, is 6.3, so she recommended statins. When I pushed her on my LDL (bad cholesterol) reading, which should be below 3, she told me it was 2.7.
These buggers try to get you to accept that anything over 5 for total cholesterol is bad and you should take statins, but I've read it's the LDL that counts. 'Eat healthier and we'll test you again in three months' she said. Yeah, right.
YOU already have salad on your kebab Uncle Stemo  :o
how much "healthier" can you get  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2019, 12:26:59 »

YOU already have salad on your kebab Uncle Stemo  :o
how much "healthier" can you get  :-\
Exactly, Dave  :y
Going for my flu jab soon, I'm getting my money's worth this week.  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2019, 12:30:37 »

I heard having a flu jab, you run the risk of then getting flu from the jab
or is that codswallop  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 20 September 2019, 12:38:53 »

It's codswallop. Some, who are weak and feeble anyway, may get a slight reaction to the dead flu virus in the jab, but not normally. Most people have no idea just how serious proper flu can be. Not walking about complaining you have flu, but bedridden and quite seriously ill.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 September 2019, 12:46:53 »

It's codswallop. Some, who are weak and feeble anyway, may get a slight reaction to the dead flu virus in the jab, but not normally. Most people have no idea just how serious proper flu can be. Not walking about complaining you have flu, but bedridden and quite seriously ill.
thanks for the Info  :y
so it stops proper man flu ,not just colds  ;D
when I get old, I'll consider it then*  :P

*If available with free postage via ebay.

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2019, 12:49:33 »

It's free for me at the surgery, but they refuse to refund my fuel costs to get there. Bastards, I'm a pensioner, me  :(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2019, 12:56:30 »

It's free for me at the surgery, but they refuse to refund my fuel costs to get there. Bastards, I'm a pensioner, me  :(
I'm not going to the Doctors  :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.