Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.  (Read 23577 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.
« on: 25 January 2020, 22:48:01 »

Next problem - I think I'm going to need a new gearbox. Anyone got a known good AR35 for sale. Please. For a 2001 3.0V6 Saloon Elite?

Symptoms are - a very clunky gear change when cold. It's been getting worse for a few months.  Then before Christmas, the 'clutch' started slipping.

It's Ok pulling away in 'D' and changes into 2nd and 3rd Ok. However, once you reach 30mph and lift off to maintain that speed, the revs start to rise even though you're not getting any faster. It'll go all the way up to 5000rpm and eventually "Gearbox Fault" comes up on the MID. aven't got Tech 2 to read trouble codes. Can they be blink tested?

If I lift off and coast I can stop the revs rising, and I don't get the error message. If I then floor it, it 'thumps' down into second, and then back into 3rd and it's ok ish. The fault only seems to occur when cold - once you've driven for perhaps 10 minutes it behaves normally. If the MID error has come on, turning the engine off and on again resets everything and it'll drive Ok.

I've tried putting the gearbox in 1, 2 and 3, and as far as I can tell so far it doesn't slip.

I've had the car up in the air, and checked the gearbox fluid level with the engine warm and running and topped the fluid up twice. Drove 2500 miles over Christmas and I thought that had cured it. But it hasn't. In the last week its got progressively worse and worse. AFAIK the box is original, so 20 years old with 280K miles on it, and probably on its original filter and oil.

I was going to try a filter and fluid change next, but from watching Youtube videos it doesn't sound like that's going to be the fault. If I'm going to have to get covered in ATF I'd rather it was only once not twice. So assuming no-one has any better ideas it's probably quickest to just swap the current gearbox out for a new known good box.

So anyone got a known good AR35 for sale? Please. :-*
« Last Edit: 25 January 2020, 22:49:33 by LC0112G »

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
Re: Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2020, 00:54:06 »

A friend's Omega 4L30E automatic gearbox moved gears in a strange way (hot and cold). We talked to several mechanics. Some said that they should dismantle the box and replace several parts, until we found a good professional, who indicated a garage with the Tech 1 scanner. The defect was just an oil pressure controlling solenoid. My suggestion is that you take your Omega in a garage with a scanner suitable for this gearbox. It may be a simple defect, as I reported above.
Powered by C30NE

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2020, 08:30:39 »

With that kind of mileage it isn't worth messing around with imo. Should be able to pick one up for £100 that's done half the miles.
New fluid and filter, bolt it in and forget about it for another 10 years or so.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2020, 13:19:35 »

£ 100 for an auto gearbox? Here manual gearboxes are still the majority in cars. An automatic gearbox in the same condition costs the equivalent of £ 500 on average. 
Powered by C30NE

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2020, 14:09:59 »

Only people who might have one is Robsey, or omegod.  I haven't. :'(
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2020, 15:12:34 »

7 or 8 years ago it was almost a case of struggling to give them away. The most I ever got for one was £100.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2020, 16:50:30 »

Given the other, as yet unresolved, electrical issues, I would be looking for another car :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2020, 20:27:22 »

With that kind of mileage it isn't worth messing around with imo. Should be able to pick one up for £100 that's done half the miles.
New fluid and filter, bolt it in and forget about it for another 10 years or so.

Yes that's the plan. I might be able to repair the gearbox, but I'd then be looking at box off one weekend, finding all the bits, fitting all the bits, and then box back on over another weekend. Minimum of 3 weekends work, and time is tight for me at the moment.

Where as old box off, and new box on could probably be done over a single weekend.

Will pop a "Wanted" ad on and hope Robsey or omegod can help out.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2020, 20:28:06 »

Given the other, as yet unresolved, electrical issues, I would be looking for another car :-X

I don't give up on electrical/electronic issues. It's my day job. :-)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2020, 21:25:40 »

I don't give up on electrical/electronic issues. It's my day job. :-)

I get that ... but sometimes it's easier to just draw a line under it & move on.   ;)

Last year my 451 Smart broke down .... it went to two 'experts' that tested/swapped various ECUs etc from my car to/from other bits. I wrote it off in the end & cut my losses and bought another.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2020, 21:42:15 »

If you are anywhere near Serek (SOS automotive, Huntingdon) he might have a gearbox and can fit it in a few hours - or sooner!

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2020, 22:17:04 »

I don't have an AR35 but an old OOF member locally has one that was allegedly refurbished sitting in his spares car, it's in Liverpool though
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2020, 22:19:47 »

I don't have an AR35 but an old OOF member locally has one that was allegedly refurbished sitting in his spares car, it's in Liverpool though
Hmmmm....Yeovil to Liverpool.......and back.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2020, 20:27:41 »

Thanks - I'll keep this in mind if I can't find anything closer. As STEMO implies a return trip to Liverpool is likely to cost close to £100 in fuel to go fetch.

By "sitting in his spares car" do you mean in "easily accessible in the boot" or is it still underneath and connected to the engine with exhaust pipes in the way? In other words would I also have to (help) get it off the car whilst I'm up there ?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2020, 22:23:14 »

An AR35 with 65000 ish miles, reconditioned by Daz with a sonax thrust bearing, new filters, new fluid and new gaskets went to Northern Ireland in the back of my old 3.2 along with a shed load of other bits .. all included in the price ...... I still wonder what happened to that car  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.