Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.  (Read 23613 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.
« Reply #30 on: 12 February 2020, 08:36:57 »

Every Elite I've had / still got (6) I've binned the wallowy self levelling springs and shocks. Did put all brand new GM self levelling on the first one but soon went to lower stiffer springs and shocks.

Seems to defeat the object of buying an Elite  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 February 2020, 13:42:13 »

Every Elite I've had / still got (6) I've binned the wallowy self levelling springs and shocks. Did put all brand new GM self levelling on the first one but soon went to lower stiffer springs and shocks.

Seems to defeat the object of buying an Elite  :-\

indeed.

Replacing the soft S/L rear springs with ordinary ones, whilst retaining the shocks gives the best of both systems.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 February 2020, 13:45:34 »

This is what I have done to mine and for me it gives a very nice compromise indeed. The rear shocks aren't going to last forever though and will need to be replaced with something else at some point.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 February 2020, 17:42:04 »

Whole purpose of the original purchase of an Elite Omega was to tow the caravan... so self levelling was a must .. absolutely no point in taking it off ... and the replacement also has self levelling .......   :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 February 2020, 18:40:49 »

Whole purpose of the original purchase of an Elite Omega was to tow the caravan... so self levelling was a must .. absolutely no point in taking it off ... and the replacement also has self levelling .......   :)

Likewise ....  :y

.... and if I'd wanted to drive a car that 'could handle' I'd have bought something other than an Omega.  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 February 2020, 19:05:12 »

.... and if I'd wanted to drive a car that 'could handle' I'd have bought something other than an Omega.  ::)
It's cheap, rwd, reasonably quick and good for donuts, which, sadly, makes it well wickid.

Best not to know where a favourite/fondly remembered car is now, as you invariably won't like the answer. :'(
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 February 2020, 19:18:40 »

It's cheap, rwd, reasonably quick and good for donuts, which, sadly, makes it well wickid.

Best not to know where a favourite/fondly remembered car is now, as you invariably won't like the answer. :'(

I knew where my Omega had gone as I got the bill from the recovery firm that had 'recovered & disposed off' the car I'd sold on a month or two before hand. I just emailed them a copy of the change of ownership from Swansea.  :y A short time later it was on eBay with just a dent in a rear door ....  ???

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 February 2020, 19:52:21 »

I don't use mine for towing but do like to keep it close to original spec, with minor mods to improve things to be the best Omega I could make it. Hence keeping the self levelling but getting rid of the silly soft Elite rear springs.
If I keep it long enough though, the rear dampers will need replacing at some point and I don't hold out much hope of sourcing a good pair of original dampers.
The bloke I bought Airfix 1 from was an ex Vauxhall mechanic and I gave him a lift home in the Omega. After about 100 yards he said "you've uprated the suspension on this haven't you ?".
When I told him the details of what I had done he said "they should have made them all like this. The Elites were a wallowy old bus, but this one feels really planted without being harsh."
It made spending far more on the car than its worth feel a bit more worthwhile.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 February 2020, 20:28:53 »

It made spending far more on the car than its worth feel a bit more worthwhile.

if your buying a car to filp and sell on then fair enough
but "spending far more on the car than its worth" is not relevant if you are keeping and using it
I see depreciation on a new car as much more of a problem
some people pay stupid amounts of interest to own new

some people buy brand new french cars on finance  :o   ;D :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 February 2020, 20:36:09 »

Those people need their heads looking at !
My Omega probably owes me near £2500 and has almost 190k on the clock. Ive had about 3 1/2 years out of it and will probably keep it for another year or two, so in the grand scheme of things its a cheap car imo. And more importantly, I really like it.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 February 2020, 21:02:24 »

Those people need their heads looking at !
My Omega probably owes me near £2500 and has almost 190k on the clock. Ive had about 3 1/2 years out of it and will probably keep it for another year or two, so in the grand scheme of things its a cheap car imo. And more importantly, I really like it.
Less than 2 quid a day then for the 3 1/2 years you have had it ,

the fact that you like it is the thing  :)

my Omega don't owe me anything (less than a grand to buy inc all the parts , nearly 2 years ),but I love driving it
I't can't go down in value  ;D and does what i want, in comfort .

£25,000 euro sh*t box , no thanks

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 February 2020, 21:42:41 »

Understand the point of the SL when towing, but to me the standard Elite suspension is lacking otherwise, a well balanced RWD car shouldn't wallow around bends (especially mid way through a bend) like an SL Elite does, it's not enjoyable to drive unless town driving and gives a lack of confidence in the chassis true ability.

...But each to thier own and if we were all the same it'd be a dull Planet.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 February 2020, 08:23:09 »

If you happen to find a low mileage one that's still attached to a 3.2 engine, i'd be interested in the engine to play with.
Or I'll keep in mind your quest if anything turns up.  I've tried chasing the MV6 bloke who had advertised an MOT failure on here, but have had no response.

Was going to suggest the same. I don't have anywhere to store a dead MV6, or anyway of moving it. However, if you end up with a whole car and don't want/need the gearbox....
The MV6 that is on here in cars for sale, is now on ebay. It has done nearly 300k so probably knackered, and MOT has run out so probably can't be test driven, far. But it's not far from me and I have a trailer...Also I am due to go to a VX breakers next week for a manual GB (the strongish one from a 2.2diesel) and I can ask if they have anything for you.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 February 2020, 19:45:25 »

If you happen to find a low mileage one that's still attached to a 3.2 engine, i'd be interested in the engine to play with.
Or I'll keep in mind your quest if anything turns up.  I've tried chasing the MV6 bloke who had advertised an MOT failure on here, but have had no response.

Was going to suggest the same. I don't have anywhere to store a dead MV6, or anyway of moving it. However, if you end up with a whole car and don't want/need the gearbox....

The MV6 that is on here in cars for sale, is now on ebay. It has done nearly 300k so probably knackered, and MOT has run out so probably can't be test driven, far. But it's not far from me and I have a trailer...Also I am due to go to a VX breakers next week for a manual GB (the strongish one from a 2.2diesel) and I can ask if they have anything for you.

If you could/would, that would be great. So far I've got a sniff of a few AR25's but no AR35's. I'm off on holi-bobs next week, but should have EMAIL assuming the French Hotel is up to scratch..

Also, need the LC rear shock top mount payment details. Have PM'ed you on the ABS site about it, but PM's are complicated there. PM me here if it's easier.

Cheers
Malcolm

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 February 2020, 20:01:51 »

but should have EMAIL assuming the French Hotel is up to scratch..

???  Does that mean you've now got a Smart phone?  ??? ???  ;) ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.