Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.  (Read 23571 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Think i'm gonna need a new Auto Gearbox.
« Reply #60 on: 19 March 2020, 12:35:11 »

Oops, I should have typed lb,s not kg,s. Don't suppose you have the means to weigh it ? Does it currently have fluid in or not, as that would make quite a difference ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 19 March 2020, 13:26:09 »

Picking it up is one thing, bench pressing it out whilst under the car is a very different prospect altogether ;)

True, but I've no real intension of trying to manually lift it at all if I can help it. With the LC I usually jack the front up, then the back, then the front etc whilst supporting the other end on wooden blocks. I do have a transmission cradle thingie that attaches to a trolley jack, but it's a bit unwieldy to use under a car on ramps/axle stands.

Oops, I should have typed lb,s not kg,s. Don't suppose you have the means to weigh it ? Does it currently have fluid in or not, as that would make quite a difference ?

I'll try and remember to bring the bathroom scales in tomorrow. AIUI it's got new filters, thrust washers and some oil in it. Will obviously need the level checking once it's in the car but it's sealed up quite well at the moment so I'd prefer to avoid getting covered in ATF until/unless it's absolutely necessary. Even so, if there is 2L of ATF in it, that's only going to add 2Kg/4.4Lbs to the overall weight, which in the overall scheme of things weighing more than 20Kg isn't that relevant.   

I've also got a V6 3.0L Auto engine sat here (needs a bottom end rebuild). Might weigh that too just for giggles.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 19 March 2020, 13:37:13 »

I've also got a V6 3.0L Auto engine sat here (needs a bottom end rebuild). Might weigh that too just for giggles.

bench press that first to bulk yourself up a bit before you tackle the gearbox  ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 23 March 2020, 10:06:08 »

That went well - Not. >:(

Caught a dose of the squits on Friday (ok too much information) so spent most of Friday and Saturday staring at my rapidly diminishing stockpile of bog roll and generally feeling very sorry for myself.

Felt a lot better on Sunday but decided heavy work best avoided, so set about cutting down a Hyacynth bush in the garden. Half way though I tweaked my back. I 'kin hate gardening. I'm now self medicating on the three Ol's - Ibruprofen-ol, Cocodamol, and Alcohol. Doses are variable depending on the pain.

STEMO

« Reply #64 on: 23 March 2020, 11:28:11 »

That went well - Not. >:(

Caught a dose of the squits on Friday (ok too much information) so spent most of Friday and Saturday staring at my rapidly diminishing stockpile of bog roll and generally feeling very sorry for myself.

Felt a lot better on Sunday but decided heavy work best avoided, so set about cutting down a Hyacynth bush in the garden. Half way though I tweaked my back. I 'kin hate gardening. I'm now self medicating on the three Ol's - Ibruprofen-ol, Cocodamol, and Alcohol. Doses are variable depending on the pain.
Dr Steve says "Malcolm, you are getting too old and tetchy for all this physical stuff. Hire a gardener and get rid of the ancient Vauxhall. Try to cut down on the painkillers but keep taking the alcohol".

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 23 March 2020, 17:26:17 »

Failed to measure the weight of the gearbox today. I can't get it to balance on the digital scales and give a sensible reading. It is well in excess of 25kg though, and that's without the torque converter fitted. Will bring in another set of analogue scales tomorrow that will hopefully do the job.

The Torque converter weighs in at 12.2Kg on it's own, so I think 40Kg isn't going to be too far off the mark.

I'm off to sit outside a bottle of Rioja now  :D

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 23 March 2020, 20:16:29 »

I'd guess 52 kg , I remember being very surprised at the weight when I removed one !
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 23 March 2020, 20:55:08 »

Ive carried a few and with torque converter and full of fluid, they are kin heavy.
I spent a sunday afternoon removing one in the pissing rain which was exhausting. I had to take it to work that night to be collected to go up to the mad stokie. Had to lift it into the hatch of my mk3 Cavalier. Only just managed it before the old trembling knees gave way.
That was the moment I decided to stop dismantling Omegas, as I was getting past it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 23 March 2020, 21:20:39 »

Ive carried a few and with torque converter and full of fluid, they are kin heavy.
I spent a sunday afternoon removing one in the pissing rain which was exhausting. I had to take it to work that night to be collected to go up to the mad stokie. Had to lift it into the hatch of my mk3 Cavalier. Only just managed it before the old trembling knees gave way.
That was the moment I decided to stop dismantling Omegas, as I was getting cold and wet...
Mouse...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 23 March 2020, 21:30:18 »

Just old,burnt out and oppsed. You will get there one day young man.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 30 March 2020, 23:19:41 »

So, tomorrow is the big day, assuming the rozzers don't arrest me on my exercise walk to the workshop.

Been there tonight, and got the car up on ramps/concrete blocks. Had a quick shuftie underneath, and.....

Does the exhaust actually have to come off? Sure there is a bracket that fixes the exhaust to the gearbox, but it looks like if I disconnect that bracket the gearbox will come out from between the exhaust pipes. with them still in place.

Opel didn't actually make it easier than the normal clusterf*ck did they?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 30 March 2020, 23:41:59 »

If you actually want to remove the box, then yes, you need to remove both cats... ;D

It's only four bolts and a few rubber blocks after all ::)

Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 31 March 2020, 00:08:34 »

If you actually want to remove the box, then yes, you need to remove both cats... ;D

It's only four bolts and a few rubber blocks after all ::)

Bugga.

The exhaust looks pretty rusty, particularly the bolts. I can see things being a bit stubborn, and perhaps likely to shear off.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 31 March 2020, 07:30:15 »

I didn’t need to take the exhaust off on my estate. Can’t advise on the saloon.  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 31 March 2020, 08:51:04 »

When Daz replaced mine about 10 years ago on my old 2.5 he removed both cats complete and then with some considerable effort got it out using a gearbox jack as we hired the services of a local workshops 4 poster.

Best of luck with it...not a pleasant job
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.