Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand brake  (Read 5801 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Hand brake
« Reply #30 on: 17 July 2017, 22:23:08 »

My hand brake is electric, don't need adjusting.  ::)

I really, really like the auto hold to stop it rolling back and day to day driving.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 July 2017, 22:36:59 »

I really, really like the auto hold to stop it rolling back and day to day driving.

You're in for an expensive surprise. Extensive use of the auto hold will bring it about sooner rather than later.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 July 2017, 22:46:28 »

You're in for an expensive surprise. Extensive use of the auto hold will bring it about sooner rather than later.

Ahh yes, but don't forget the DPF will also explode, all glow plugs go bang, turbo failure, injectors and so on.

The negativity on all stuff new is staggering  ;D

It's there to be used, if it fails it fails I'll just replace them.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2017, 22:58:54 »

Ahh yes, but don't forget the DPF will also explode, all glow plugs go bang, turbo failure, injectors and so on.

The problem is that they fail ON. Then the only way to move the car is on skates(which the customer ALWAYS refuse to pay for) or to completely dismantle the rear calipers(which the recovery provider won't pay for, and the receiving garage won't reassemble)

Electric handbrake are a complicated solution to a problem that didn't exist. DPFs aren't a long term solution to the particulate problem, a slightly different issue.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2017, 23:01:21 »

'Hold' on a Merc is a seperate thing from the hand/parking brake. Anyway, that's what your left foot is for  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2017, 23:24:11 »

Electric handbrake are a complicated solution to a problem that didn't exist. DPFs aren't a long term solution to the particulate problem, a slightly different issue the wrong fuel.

FTFY.  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 July 2017, 09:41:47 »

The problem is that they fail ON. Then the only way to move the car is on skates(which the customer ALWAYS refuse to pay for) or to completely dismantle the rear calipers(which the recovery provider won't pay for, and the receiving garage won't reassemble)

Electric handbrake are a complicated solution to a problem that didn't exist. DPFs aren't a long term solution to the particulate problem, a slightly different issue.
As a frequent of buyer of old Omegas I have bought a couple with poor handbrakes, which on stripping down proved to have the linings torn off the brake shoes. I imagine this to have been caused by the handbrake having been left on for too long, like months, the linings having stuck to the drums, and only having let go when the driver applied lots of torque.
Years ago a friend with a Mini tried this, but the rear wheels simply dragged behind the driven front wheels. On a RWD Omega the driver can apply rear torque.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2017, 09:47:59 »

'Hold' on a Merc is a seperate thing from the hand/parking brake. Anyway, that's what your left foot is for  :y

It is on the VAGs to, applies brake pressure via the ABS unit  :y

The best electric handbrakes use a remote actuator which pulls a standard cable assemble, some others have a motor on the calliper which can fail with interesting results!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 July 2017, 10:08:58 »

It is on the VAGs to, applies brake pressure via the ABS unit  :y

The best electric handbrakes use a remote actuator which pulls a standard cable assemble, some others have a motor on the calliper which can fail with interesting results!

How does this work exactly? I thought they basically work on a screw mechanism and 'push' the pad into the disc?

When I come to change the rear pads, via VAGCOM I need to activate and 'wind back' the calliper, then I can push it in.

Does the electric part not just push the calliper?

They don't appear that expensive, so I'll continue to use auto-hold  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-VW-Passat-CC-1-4-1-8-2-0-3-6-TDI-TSI-Rear-Wheel-Parking-Brake-Caliper-6-Torx-/252765395463?fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3ACC&hash=item3ad9fdda07:g:r~MAAOSwvKtY-2VJ

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 July 2017, 10:12:49 »

So hill assist works via the hydraulic circuit, it applies brake fluid pressure to actuate the pistons as the hold capability is much greater and its faster to apply and release.

The handbrake is separate and uses either a motor on the calliper (craper system!) or a remote actuator with a cable to the caliper (the better setup).

If you have the calliper mounted motor then the handbrake slack is taken up by the motor position, to replace pads you have to get the motor to wind back.

On the remote cable system its generally just a standard wind back tool needed.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 July 2017, 10:20:36 »

So hill assist works via the hydraulic circuit, it applies brake fluid pressure to actuate the pistons as the hold capability is much greater and its faster to apply and release.

The handbrake is separate and uses either a motor on the calliper (craper system!) or a remote actuator with a cable to the caliper (the better setup).

If you have the calliper mounted motor then the handbrake slack is taken up by the motor position, to replace pads you have to get the motor to wind back.

On the remote cable system its generally just a standard wind back tool needed.

Yes this is my setup I think, reading this also confirms when I park and flip the switch outside the car a buzz can be heard as the motor spins. But with auto-hold there is no noise.  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 July 2017, 12:06:54 »

I suspect that you could manually wind them back if you removed the motor and found a suitable socket to attach to the calliper drive (not tried it but it does look possible)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 July 2017, 15:42:07 »

The screw part that you wind back on mechanical rather than electric handbrake calipers is simply the self adjuster... keeps the handbrake within tolerance regardless of pad wear ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 July 2017, 18:18:50 »

That's why the dear lord invented Park.

But I do press my button occasionally to keep the motors and cables moving.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #44 on: 19 July 2017, 10:05:10 »

That's why the dear lord invented Park.

But I do press my button occasionally to keep the motors and cables moving.

Does the Jag not automatically apply the handbrake when you turn the ignition off? How poverty..  :P ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.