Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Merc 2 battery question.  (Read 4510 times)

STEMO

Re: Merc 2 battery question.
« Reply #30 on: 16 July 2017, 17:26:12 »

Well....if I get five years out of a battery....then have to fork out c.£80 for a new one..that's ok with me. Beats the f**k out of farting around with chargers and stuff  ;D
I suppose people who hang on to their cars for ten years or more will have this mindset, but as I've never held on to one for more than four years, it's someone else's problem.

I wish I was wealthy :'(
Wealthy enough to buy a merc, I only own a frugal 1.4 astra.  :(

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2017, 17:43:41 »

Well....if I get five years out of a battery....then have to fork out c.£80 for a new one..that's ok with me. Beats the f**k out of farting around with chargers and stuff  ;D
I suppose people who hang on to their cars for ten years or more will have this mindset, but as I've never held on to one for more than four years, it's someone else's problem.

Wealthy enough to buy a merc, I only own a frugal 1.4 astra.  :(

And if you'd looked after your battery....you could be running about in a merc too with the savings  :D :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 July 2017, 17:59:44 »

Its not a question of it going flat, it's a matter of keeping it in tip top condition, the wifes Astra, for example, the battery is 10 years old and still going strong because I keep it conditioned.

Ah I see, Fair enough, each to their own.  :y

For me, for a saving of £18-20 per year I couldn't be ar$ed with the effort. Then again, I am a member of the "throw away generation" so that's to be expected  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 July 2017, 18:13:41 »

And you are not on a non-elastic pension, Jimmy!  :(

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 July 2017, 18:19:01 »

Also, TB, if you use a conditioning/maintaining charger - the Halfords "smart" charger, for example, you can potentially (no pun intended!) confuse the ECU because it pulse-charges, and they don't like it up 'em!  :(

Ron.
Some chargers are designed to be used whilst still connected to the car. Most smartchargers fall into this category, but check instructions.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 July 2017, 18:23:47 »

I found my Omegas are good for about 3.5-4 weeks without usage (or charging), much beyond, and you run the risk of not being able to start.

HOWEVER. As with most battery technologies, its completely shags them to leave them in a semi discharged condition for any period.

Hence, I do use a charger when appropriate.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 July 2017, 18:27:38 »

And you are not on a non-elastic pension, Jimmy!  :(

Ron.

Very true. I'm on the new scheme where they retire you about 4 days post-mortem  ;D

Anyway, I thought that all you lot retired at 53 on a final salary pension scheme? It's what everyone else my age seems to believe ::)
« Last Edit: 16 July 2017, 18:29:23 by jimmy944 »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2017, 19:25:31 »

Also, TB, if you use a conditioning/maintaining charger - the Halfords "smart" charger, for example, you can potentially (no pun intended!) confuse the ECU because it pulse-charges, and they don't like it up 'em!  :(

Ron.
Some chargers are designed to be used whilst still connected to the car. Most smartchargers fall into this category, but check instructions.

Yes, TB, I would expect some of the more modern ones are safe to use whilst the battery is still connected, but the Halford ones in particular specifically advise against this practice and as some Oofers may be a little impecunious (like me!) and would have earlier models, I was only doing my Oof duty and offering a caveat.  :y

Ron.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 July 2017, 06:50:19 »

Ron.

Yes, TB, I would expect some of the more modern ones are safe to use whilst the battery is still connected, but the Halford ones in particular specifically advise against this practice and as some Oofers may be a little impecunious (like me!) and would have earlier models, I was only doing my Oof duty and offering a caveat.  :y

Ron.

You get what you pay for.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 July 2017, 17:11:13 »

Ron.

Ron.
The Halfords SmartCharge 200 won't harm after you've used it a couple of times....  ....mainly because you've already blown the power transistors in it. A proper PoS from a reliability standpoint.  Generally cheaper to buy from Ring direct (though every bit as unreliable still).  It really is a nasty charger.

The more upmarket Ring ones, as sold at Halfords, specifically state you can charge on the vehicle. This is what I use.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 July 2017, 17:41:03 »

Thanks for that, TB. My Halfords one is quite old and is definitly contra-indicated for on-vehicle charging. It's actually in a safe place now, so I cannot easily check the model number!  :-[

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 July 2017, 17:53:30 »

Thanks for that, TB. My Halfords one is quite old and is definitly contra-indicated for on-vehicle charging. It's actually in a safe place now, so I cannot easily check the model number!  :-[

Ron.
Sure its a Smart Charger, not just an Automatic Charger (that by its nature must have battery removed)?
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 July 2017, 18:12:48 »

I'm only going by the label; what do I know!  ???

Ron.

P.S. No, I ain't sure.....or am I?

P.P.S. Yesterday I was undeciden: now I'm not so sure!

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 July 2017, 20:26:14 »

Ron.

Ron.
The Halfords SmartCharge 200 won't harm after you've used it a couple of times....  ....mainly because you've already blown the power transistors in it. A proper PoS from a reliability standpoint.  Generally cheaper to buy from Ring direct (though every bit as unreliable still).  It really is a nasty charger.

The more upmarket Ring ones, as sold at Halfords, specifically state you can charge on the vehicle. This is what I use.

I use an upmarket Ring, served me well, recovered a couple of neighbours batteries that seemed cream crackered.
I like red cars

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 July 2017, 13:21:31 »

STMO is as wealthy as an Arab oil sheik. The sort who drive their brand new Range Rover in the desert and leave it there once it runs out of petrol. ::)

The Astra, presented in the most unfortunate shade of green known to man, will soon be history.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.