Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Airport parking - what are people thinking?  (Read 5630 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Airport parking - what are people thinking?
« on: 19 July 2017, 00:36:03 »

It's the second biggest purchase most people ever make, why would you hand it over to a bunch of randoms?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-40647886?SThisFB

It boggles the mind! I wasn't even really comfortable handing the Desmond over to the official Heathrow Meet & Greet, that said the look on the guy's face was priceless (it had just been used for a dozen or so tip runs and was minging inside).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Airport parking - what are people thinking?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2017, 01:31:57 »

I told you so... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2017, 09:48:39 »

These days (now I'm not a £30 taxi fare away) I tend to park in the Heathrow Business for T2/3 - it's only a five minute shuttle bus ride to the terminal and the price is fairly reasonable*

*not that I'm paying, normally ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2017, 10:06:53 »

I think airport parking is a modern day scam. I remember years ago "saving" money with off site parking at Manchester. Took a speedo reading on the Carlton and it had done 115 miles when we went to collect it. I remember arriving in the dark down a lane. Our car was in a pack of others so tightly parked you couldnt walk between them.  Mix up over dates.
After that we used on site or friends drop off.
Over here we use offsite parking at Malaga . About 40 pounds for a fortnight and they wash your car included.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2017, 10:16:43 »

Even the more 'reputable' firms here will potentially use your car as a shuttle for ferrying drivers back and forth. Very few of their drivers actually have any driving ability either,wheel spinning away from the forecourts before you've even crossed the road... :o

After seven months working the forecourts, I would never entertain parking off site :-X

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2017, 10:45:16 »

Last time I parked at Heathrow the b@stards wanted £11.30, for 2 hours of parking.  >:(

That said the T2 short stay car park was gadget rich, pop your number plate into the machine and it will remind you were you parked.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2017, 11:14:40 »

After seven months working the forecourts, I would never entertain parking off site :-X

Yup, totally agree. Again I love Birmingham for this. Just booked parking for our upcoming holiday. 11 days was £70 for a flexible booking (no cost to change car) and I can be out of the car, through security and ordering a pint in All Bar One in less than 20mins  8)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2017, 11:18:59 »

Last time I parked at Heathrow the b@stards wanted £11.30, for 2 hours of parking.  >:(

That said the T2 short stay car park was gadget rich, pop your number plate into the machine and it will remind you were you parked.
Prebook and you can park there for the week for about £80 iirc.

Also, at Gatwick, you can park in the long stay for two hours for free, and both only five minutes from the Terminals, so if you're meeting a flight it's cheaper than the short stay and less stressful than arguing with the marshals... if you get in and find the flight is substantially delayed, use most of the two hours, then drive the car to the opposite carpark and get another two free hours :D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2017, 11:25:49 »

^^Now that's a good tip :y

I wish Heathrow did the same, especially when I am picking the missus up from one of her trips and she is slightly delayed.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2017, 11:33:36 »

^^Now that's a good tip :y

I wish Heathrow did the same, especially when I am picking the missus up from one of her trips and she is slightly delayed.

Previously I parked outside Heathrow say near the Esso garage, waited for person I was picking up to land. They would  message me when at drop off. I'd then drive in and go to drop off and pick them up.  :)

Works fine for one of the wife's cousins, but harder when it's a family of 5 you need to pick up.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2017, 11:37:52 »

Then either plan your journey better or suffer the cost ::)

You live near enough to be able to leave once you have a confirmed landing time... aim to arrive as the plane touches down and you'll never pay more than an hour ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2017, 11:46:49 »

Prebook and you can park there for the week for about £80 iirc.

Also, at Gatwick, you can park in the long stay for two hours for free, and both only five minutes from the Terminals, so if you're meeting a flight it's cheaper than the short stay and less stressful than arguing with the marshals... if you get in and find the flight is substantially delayed, use most of the two hours, then drive the car to the opposite carpark and get another two free hours :D

Interesting, as I'm collecting family from the North Terminal tomorrow evening.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2017, 12:03:14 »

You live near enough to be able to leave once you have a confirmed landing time... aim to arrive as the plane touches down and you'll never pay more than an hour ;)

True but the amount of time it takes to hand over the plane to ground staff, as well as the transfer from airside to the front of the terminal varies a lot.  I try to time it perfectly because you do not want to p-off a jet-lagged, pre-menopausal woman who has been awake for 18 hours and standing on her feet for most of it.  Sometimes she is delayed and I have to literally circle the block, which if you know heathrow can be a pig.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2017, 12:07:21 »

True but the amount of time it takes to hand over the plane to ground staff, as well as the transfer from airside to the front of the terminal varies a lot.  I try to time it perfectly because you do not want to p-off a jet-lagged, pre-menopausal woman who has been awake for 18 hours and standing on her feet for most of it.  Sometimes she is delayed and I have to literally circle the block, which if you know heathrow can be a pig.

Also factor in varying time on M3 due to road works, I find that if I aim to arrive just after they land, it's not too long to be parked up around the corner and just nip into the drop off when they are ready

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2017, 12:19:29 »

A big difference between working on a plane and sitting in one... Sure she appreciates being met with her favourite Starbucks and a hug followed by a stroll to the car in the car park rather than trying to find you on the forecourt ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.