Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: With this little fellow removed, it's working as it should again  (Read 3016 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile

With it in place I couldn't switch it off. :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

Go on then I'll bite.What couldn't you switch off? and why did you need to switch off whatever it is that you couldn't?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

Go on then I'll bite.What couldn't you switch off? and why did you need to switch off whatever it is that you couldn't?

It's off an 'appliance' that women use, Mr Baza.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile

It is a top secret device fitted by a MI5 agent to listen in to Optie's dodgy dealings. ::) ::) :D ;)

Any connections to "women's appliance" is purely to keep you off the scent! :P :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

.......not the sort of appliance they use for reaching orgasm. I should add. :)

Just for clarification. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

It is a top secret device fitted by a MI5 agent to listen in to Optie's dodgy dealings. ::) ::) :D ;)

Any connections to "women's appliance" is purely to keep you off the scent! :P :P

I know of no men who would use this 'appliance' Lizzie. Well, not admit to it anyway. :) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Ahh. Hunts. The Lucas of the electronics industry. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile

Well , whatever its off....it looks old and the appliance must be old too....stop being tight and buy a new one ... whatever it is... :y :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

The appliance dates from the mid-thirties. It is beautifully over-engineered and will probably last for 1000 years.

Although a functional object it is gayly* decorated in the art deco fashion of the period.

It cost around £14 in 1934.

*......when gay went you were happy rather than a queer. :)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile

Ok, my best guess is an electric range cooker...... :-\

Carnt think of anything else that may have been available back then wot uses leccy.....that women use....

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

Ok, my best guess is an electric range cooker...... :-\

Carnt think of anything else that may have been available back then wot uses leccy.....that women use....

Good guess but no. It was handed down to Mrs Opti by her grandmother. People had more of a 'make do and mend' attitude back in the thirties.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile

A good old fashioned wireless, when they were really a wireless with valves galore and with a glorious warm smell.......ah those were lovely days!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

A good old fashioned wireless, when they were really a wireless with valves galore and with a glorious warm smell.......ah those were lovely days!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Nope.....not a wireless be it made of bakelite or something else. :)

It weighs about 10 KG and measures about 18 inches by 10 inches. Bought mainly by middle class women because of the cost. It saved their fingers.

The clues are there. :-* :-*

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile

It weighs about 10 KG and measures about 18 inches by 10 inches. Bought mainly by middle class women because of the cost. It saved their fingers.

With those clues.....i'll go for sewing machine.... :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

Give this man a prize. :y

Yep...a Singer sewing machine from the thirties. The picture is of some sort of diode or capacitor that had failed which meant that the machine would not stop unless the plug was pulled out.

It was located in the foot pedal next to a  type of ceramic brick. Anyway, the internet said to to remove it and all would be well again.

It was. Not sure why it was there in the first place. :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile

Yep...a Singer sewing machine from the thirties. The picture is of some sort of diode or capacitor that had failed which meant that the machine would not stop unless the plug was pulled out.

It was located in the foot pedal next to a  type of ceramic brick. Anyway, the internet said to to remove it and all would be well again.

Yes  :y :)

Its a capacitor...and may have gone short circuit.....hence why you could turn it off... :-\
Removing it may make it work again....but I would suggest you replace it with another capacitor the same value....or it might lead to a demise of the sewing machine.....it must be there for a reason.... :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

I wouldn't have guessed that even had it been in the right section!A sewing machine...how very avant garde of you,I still have a wooden "mushroom" that my mother used to use when darning socks :D :D I kid you not!!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

Yes  :y :)

Its a capacitor...and may have gone short circuit.....hence why you could turn it off... :-\
Removing it may make it work again....but I would suggest you replace it with another capacitor the same value....or it might lead to a demise of the sewing machine.....it must be there for a reason.... :y
[/quote

I'm wondering if the diode/capacitor was not originally part of the sewing machine in the thirties.

Perhaps it was added at a later date 50s/60s to stop interference with other electrical good like the television.

Just a thought.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile

I wouldn't have guessed that even had it been in the right section!A sewing machine...how very avant garde of you,I still have a wooden "mushroom" that my mother used to use when darning socks :D :D I kid you not!!
[/highlight]

Nostalgia. :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

Depends on your point of view of course.It's either nostalgia or a case of the amount of rubbish I keep because I can't be bothered to throw it all out ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

[/highlight]

Nostalgia. :y

My Mum (79 tomorrow) still has her Mum's mushroom too

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile

Its a capacitor.used to stop the footswitch slightly sparking when you relase the pedal.helps the switch last longer than it would without it ( although if its lasted this long it should soldier on for a few more yesrs

STEMO

It will have been across the switch to stop it arcing.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

They were indeed days of make do and mend.Darning socks,patching trousers and wearing "hand me downs" of older brothers.Glad I had no older sisters or who knows what I'd have grown up wearing :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile

Tee hee - that could have changed your life forever!  ;D

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Its a capacitor.used to stop the footswitch slightly sparking when you relase the pedal.helps the switch last longer than it would without it ( although if its lasted this long it should soldier on for a few more yesrs

Also to prevent radio interference, so if it starts taking out the TV or radio it might be worth getting another.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile

Might I suggest you replace it with this:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/01uf-275v-x2-rfi-metallised-polypropylene-capacitor-n69cn

Its self-healing properties should mean that it will never go shortcircuit in service, so it ought to last even longer and will keep you free from RFI, too!  :y 8)

Ron.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.