Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford 1.6 Tdci fuel filter change  (Read 2477 times)

Lincs Robert

Ford 1.6 Tdci fuel filter change
« on: 25 August 2017, 20:28:04 »

Hi,

I'm looking to change the fuel filter under the bonnet on the Mondeo. The filter is quite a large metal jobless and has a couple of click on connectors. Seems the system needs priming afterwards and Ford done have a priming pump - you have to use an external bulb, which I don't have.

Does anyone have experience of this, same as the 1.6 Hdi engine. Could I just turn the ignition on/off several times before starting?

Thanks - Rob

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Ford 1.6 Tdci fuel filter change
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2017, 21:17:59 »

I think it'll self bleed Robert.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2017, 22:24:19 »

Hi,

I'm looking to change the fuel filter under the bonnet on the Mondeo. The filter is quite a large metal jobless and has a couple of click on connectors. Seems the system needs priming afterwards and Ford done have a priming pump - you have to use an external bulb, which I don't have.

Does anyone have experience of this, same as the 1.6 Hdi engine. Could I just turn the ignition on/off several times before starting?

Thanks - Rob

If you don't have the primer bulb on top of the engine under the tdci stamped cover then its probably got a lift pump intank so as already  said ignition on off a few times

Hold up!
If it's later model with metal filter then the top cover has a primer button built in (the top is reused on the metal filater type)
« Last Edit: 25 August 2017, 22:26:44 by henryd »
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2017, 22:39:15 »

Having had a Google its seems the ford type filter top doesnt have the primer button that its cousins from frogland do so would suggest intank lift pump
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2017, 09:55:56 »

Ignition on and you should just be able to make out the sound of the pump running, let it run until.it times out (30 seconds or so), repeat a few times.and the it should just start

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2017, 17:09:48 »

I seem to recall, that when the fuel filter was changed on my 1.6 TD Mondeo.....the blokey that changed just cranked it over till it started.....tho he did have a booster pack on the battery whilst doing so......so no priming needed it seems  :y
and probably the advice of just turning the ignition on a few times would likely have to same effect  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2017, 17:24:35 »

He's a bloody Muppet then!

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2017, 17:37:55 »

As are most "mechanics" but that's they way of things in garages.....only cranked for about 10secs or so before it started  ;)

Bout to get stung again....as cba.....breaking at 30-40 ish is uneven.....and breaking at 70 produces steering wheel shudder....I reckon its warped disks.....not had that on a car for a long time.....but maybe Ford disks aren't as thick as other makes  :-\

Lincs Robert

« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2017, 20:32:04 »

As are most "mechanics" but that's they way of things in garages.....only cranked for about 10secs or so before it started  ;)

Bout to get stung again....as cba.....breaking at 30-40 ish is uneven.....and breaking at 70 produces steering wheel shudder....I reckon its warped disks.....not had that on a car for a long time.....but maybe Ford disks aren't as thick as other makes  :-\

I had Brembos on my last Mondy, which was a 2.5T 5 cyl. I think GSF have them on offer this weekend.  :y This one was a Lex lease car in its life before me - I got hold of the full parts history - had new Motocraft discs/pads fitted just before the end of the lease.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2017, 19:05:17 »

I seem to recall, that when the fuel filter was changed on my 1.6 TD Mondeo.....the blokey that changed just cranked it over till it started.....tho he did have a booster pack on the battery whilst doing so......so no priming needed it seems  :y
and probably the advice of just turning the ignition on a few times would likely have to same effect  :y

I chickened out in the end, after reading horror stories on the Ford forum.  :(
I had a spot of luck though, popped into my local Ford dealer on Saturday morning with said filter - said I needed help & could I book it in for them to change. They offered to do it there & then for me whilst I waited  :y. It all worked out nicely in the end .......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2017, 23:02:25 »

These modern engines need priming via software, I've done a fuel filter change on the VW. 5 screws and sub 5 mins to change the filter, once new one is in I had to activate the pump via software and run it for 3 mins to bleed air out.

Started on button afterwards, picks up better low down now. Apparently fuel filters every 60k, mine had done 30k, could feel the difference.

VCDS/VAGCOM does come in very handy....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2017, 08:09:30 »

These modern engines need priming via software, I've done a fuel filter change on the VW. 5 screws and sub 5 mins to change the filter, once new one is in I had to activate the pump via software and run it for 3 mins to bleed air out.

Started on button afterwards, picks up better low down now. Apparently fuel filters every 60k, mine had done 30k, could feel the difference.

What a truly shit system!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2017, 08:15:57 »

Seen most diesels need to be primed via software? Unlike old 1.9's and non common rails were ignition off/on works.

Why is this any different to BMW diesels or Vauxhalls lumps? All still need priming.  :-\

Also a damn site nicer job than Omega fuel filter  :)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 08:17:48 by tunnie »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2017, 10:00:58 »

Seen most diesels need to be primed via software? Unlike old 1.9's and non common rails were ignition off/on works.

Why is this any different to BMW diesels or Vauxhalls lumps? All still need priming.  :-\

Most common rails can be primed with ignition.  Its older systems that generally need priming/bleeding.  Having to need access to dealer level equipment - i.e., more than a simple service reset tool - to do basic servicing is unacceptable in this day and age.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2017, 10:05:19 »

Most common rails can be primed with ignition.  Its older systems that generally need priming/bleeding.  Having to need access to dealer level equipment - i.e., more than a simple service reset tool - to do basic servicing is unacceptable in this day and age.

Given electric hand brakes, no dip stick engines, not even an engine temp gauge on a BMW 235i....

It's a fact of life sadly now, also given Hybrids appear to be the new diesel I doubt you will be able to access the spark plugs in a few years. Without having to strip half the engine down.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.