Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computing advice please  (Read 4685 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Computing advice please
« on: 12 September 2017, 23:50:59 »

As we are planning an extended trip to visit family in Australia/New Zealand later this year, I am thinking about purchasing a 10" tablet ( too big / too small ?? ) to take instead of having to lug a laptop around with me. Whilst I know a reasonable amount about desktop and laptop computers I know little about tablets, which until now I have considered as overgrown phones ... :)

Any advice on models/makes to avoid, or recommendations on those to consider, as well as any other advice you consider relevant would be gratefully accepted.

Budget is up to around £400 (ish), I "think" a minimum of 32 Gb storage as I intend to back up cameras to the device, and wifi/4g connectivity for communication back to UK are the points that have come to mind so far ... unless you know different !!

Ta muchly, Nige

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Computing advice please
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2017, 07:43:12 »

What do you need it to do? Photo editing or just web browsing and email?

What do you want to use it for primarily?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2017, 08:14:27 »

My pair have a couple of Galaxy Tab A's which get serious hammer and are standing up well to it.

They seem pretty good to be honest, more than enough processing grunt to do what they want and reasonably robust plus, not stupidly expensive so worth a look.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2017, 08:55:44 »

Windows or Android would be my question question to you, which is reinvent to the question already asked "What do you want to do with it"

If Android OS then you will be totally relying on loading Apps to get things done, lots of them some good some poor, if Windows ie Win10, then pretty much anything you currently use on your Laptop can be loaded and used on your Tablet.

10" is a good screen size, not too small for viewing, would help if it had external monitor source or HDMI out, so it could be used on a bigger Screen / TV when on your travels.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2017, 09:43:58 »

The 4G connectivity requirement would narrow things down a bit. Whereas most have WiFi, many tablets do not have a slot for a SIM card. At least not the last time I looked.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 10:23:50 »

The 4G connectivity requirement would narrow things down a bit. Whereas most have WiFi, many tablets do not have a slot for a SIM card. At least not the last time I looked.

I know that the Ipad is available with sim capability but not sure of any others :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 10:51:57 »

TBH, small pocket size Mini WiFi Hotspot Routers are so cheap and rieliable now, just wack a Sim in them and away you go. I dont think I would bother paying for the extra expense of having a Tablet with 4G connectivity on board, plus it just something else that will eat up the Tablets battery.

Plus pretty much every modern mobile phone these does can be put into WiFi Hotspot mode, even if its an old Windows or Android phone laying around in the cupboard..

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 15:51:30 »

Tab A can be had with sim card slot

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2017, 16:14:29 »

Tab A can be had with sim card slot

I've got aTab A, can't fault it.
I like red cars

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2017, 18:16:26 »

I'll go with Zirk on the 4G bit, don't bother with it, if you cannot connect to wifi, put your mobile in hotspot mode and use your phones data connection  :y Saves paying for another sim  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2017, 21:04:01 »

I'll go with Zirk on the 4G bit, don't bother with it, if you cannot connect to wifi, put your mobile in hotspot mode and use your phones data connection  :y Saves paying for another sim  ;)

I agree,thats what I do when in the tin tent,my phone on hotspot will run all the kids and wifey tablets,gets warm though ! :y
other rides 

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2017, 22:33:23 »

I agree,thats what I do when in the tin tent,my phone on hotspot will run all the kids and wifey tablets,gets warm though ! :y

That might make sense as I intend to buy a local PAYG sim in both Aus and NZ ... seems to be cheaper than using roaming charges !!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2017, 23:28:48 »

That might make sense as I intend to buy a local PAYG sim in both Aus and NZ ... seems to be cheaper than using roaming charges !!

Not sure what sims cost in the Antipodes but I planned to do this in the States a couple of years ago and was shocked how expensive PAYG sims were compared to here!  :o  :-\

Happily free wifi seems to be much more common in foreign fields than in dear old Blighty.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2017, 23:53:47 »

Depends what numbers you're likely to be calling... With Three (like home) there are no roaming charges in either Aus or NZ so comps to/from U.K. Are free (plus data) but calls to Aus/NZ are pricey.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2017, 11:06:19 »

I have Android tablets, I have a couple of Windows tablets, and I have a gayPad.

Which did I take on holiday? Yup, the gayPad. It met my needs of videos on the plane, and email/web whilst away. Windows would have been my 2nd choice, but its horses for courses.

I bought my gayPad after a holiday where Mrs TB's gayPad "just worked" and a previous Android tablet I had taken was frequently in the "almost, but not quite" state of needing so much faffage.

Be aware, most non SIM capable tablets (or all OS types) cannot do GPS, as they are missing the hardware.  Now its unlikely you'll be shoving a bloody great tablet on your windscreen for directions, but GPS is used for so much else - finding local restaurants, geotagging photos taken with device, and so on.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2017, 11:18:27 »

Be aware, most non SIM capable tablets (or all OS types) cannot do GPS, as they are missing the hardware.  Now its unlikely you'll be shoving a bloody great tablet on your windscreen for directions, but GPS is used for so much else - finding local restaurants, geotagging photos taken with device, and so on.

I have a Tesco Hudl 2 which dosn't have a sim, but has GPS.  ;)

It's been a handy little machine especially for trips, but sadly the battery is now knackered.  I think Tesco have discontinued the Hudl?  :-\

The annoying thing with it though (and I assume this is true for all Android tablets) is that it dosn't like you using webpages and tries to get you to use apps instead, which are often shite.  ::) 
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 11:21:39 by Sir Tigger QC »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2017, 13:23:37 »

That's a setting.

Again, all our android tablets have GPS with most having no SIM capability.

Plus they all just work, perfectly and at a fraction of the price of a gaypad
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 13:48:18 by Fuse 19 »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2017, 15:54:06 »

We all know that TuBy is a secret Apple Fan Boy though ;) :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2017, 16:10:26 »

Thanks for all the thoughts .. very helpful.

Not now looking for 4G as I'll do the tethering thing, and given the limited size of hard drives I'll take a USB external HD with me for photo backups.

going by the comments made, and some T'internet searching, I'm starting to think of either

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6837806

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7397400

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7596555

any thoughts from anyone ?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2017, 09:18:09 »

Thanks for all the thoughts .. very helpful.

Not now looking for 4G as I'll do the tethering thing, and given the limited size of hard drives I'll take a USB external HD with me for photo backups.

going by the comments made, and some T'internet searching, I'm starting to think of either

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6837806

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7397400

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7596555

any thoughts from anyone ?

I'd still go for a Samsung Tab A, you get what you pay for.
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2017, 09:34:26 »

You've also not stated yet what you need it to do?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2017, 09:45:56 »

You've also not stated yet what you need it to do?

Yes he has.  ::)  General internetting and storing photos.  ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2017, 09:56:10 »

Not now looking for 4G as I'll do the tethering thing,

If you mean tethering on a UK mobile, that could be expensive unless you have something like 3 Mobile's Feel At Home that allows you to use data abroad as if you were in the UK. Speaking about the 3 Mobile specifically, their Feel At Home facility is a) rather slow, and b) doesn't allow tethering outside the UK (unless they have changed this in the last 3 month).

If you mean getting a local sim and using that, then shouldn't be a problem but don't forget to enquire about tethering at time of purchase, it isn't a universal facility.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2017, 10:00:52 »

Saw mention for photo backups, that it's it.  :-\

Another vote here for a Samsung Tablet, although I'd push the boat out and get Tab-S rather than Tab-A personally.

But either would fit all the needs suggested  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2017, 10:01:39 »

Not now looking for 4G as I'll do the tethering thing,

If you mean tethering on a UK mobile, that could be expensive unless you have something like 3 Mobile's Feel At Home that allows you to use data abroad as if you were in the UK. Speaking about the 3 Mobile specifically, their Feel At Home facility is a) rather slow, and b) doesn't allow tethering outside the UK (unless they have changed this in the last 3 month).

If you mean getting a local sim and using that, then shouldn't be a problem but don't forget to enquire about tethering at time of purchase, it isn't a universal facility.

Tethering is easily spotted to, many providers have this in the small print that this is not allowed as it burns through data very quickly.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2017, 10:14:38 »

I suspect that free wifi is more common in hotels and cafes etc in Oz/NZ than it is here in the UK, which makes tethering pointless anyway.   ;)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2017, 20:16:11 »

If you are backing up photos you might need a usb for cards from larger cameras so some sort of adaptor required which ever way you go.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2017, 20:25:03 »

Thanks for all the views .... I'm looking more at a win 10 system as a mini-laptop system rather than an overgrown mobile phone Android system. Also starting to head towards a 2-in-1 system with detachable keyboard for the same reasons.

Even though on holiday, I will still need to do a little updating of some club websites I run, some secretary type work for the clubs, etc, etc, which I find easier to do with a "real" keyboard rather than an onscreen one. Use of Office and Filezilla being the tools of choice, and I have no idea if Filezilla works with Android, although I know there are Office look-a-likes for Android

Wifi access should be pretty reasonable for much of the trip as staying with Brother in Law in Aus and Son in NZ for much of the time, so able to logon to their wifi, but it might get a little more difficult whilst we do the NZ road trip in a campervan, which is when tethering on a local SIM card in the mobile is the basic idea.

I could do all I want with the present laptop, but it is large and heavy, and a 10" tablet seems to be a light, useful size to take instead, especially with a detachable keyboard so all the screen is visible and not half-covered by the keyboard app.

Still well open to suggestions.. is my "desire" for win 10 wrong ?? Are Android apps as good as Office ?? Does Filezilla work on Android ??

Many thanks again .. Nige

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2017, 20:26:38 »

If you are backing up photos you might need a usb for cards from larger cameras so some sort of adaptor required which ever way you go.

Already have adaptors for both cameras that plug into USB ports, so as long as the tablet has 2 USB ports, or 1 USB and an SD Reader, I can transfer from card to external drive ... :)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2017, 20:31:53 »

Already have adaptors for both cameras that plug into USB ports, so as long as the tablet has 2 USB ports, or 1 USB and an SD Reader, I can transfer from card to external drive ... :)

It is exactly that requirement that can create an issue - there are adaptor fixes for some but not all tablet types.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 September 2017, 20:49:56 »

It's been a handy little machine especially for trips, but sadly the battery is now knackered.  I think Tesco have discontinued the Hudl? 

Here go sir tiggers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-100-Genuine-Battery-for-Tesco-Hudl-2-1st-Class-Free-Delivery-500-SOLD-/111780112925

Easy to change. Just pop the back cover off, or consult oootube.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2017, 20:52:30 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2017, 22:58:55 »

It's been a handy little machine especially for trips, but sadly the battery is now knackered.  I think Tesco have discontinued the Hudl? 

Here go sir tiggers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-100-Genuine-Battery-for-Tesco-Hudl-2-1st-Class-Free-Delivery-500-SOLD-/111780112925

Easy to change. Just pop the back cover off, or consult oootube.

Nice! Thanks bg!  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 September 2017, 10:03:19 »

My last Windows tablet cost £49, no idea what brand. Tesco often have similar for around £60-70 under the Connect brand (as well as Android devices under same brand).

Let me boot it up and find out spec.  I only really use it for car diags and drone FPV stuff.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 September 2017, 10:14:04 »

LOL, mine is made by Connect ;D.

Connect 10
Atom Z3735G 1.33GHz
1Gb Ram
30Gb Solid State Storage
Micro SD slot (not sure on max size card)
Full size USB type A socket
Micro USB
HDMI out (looks like it might need adapter)
The charger is a round pin type, NOT a standard micro USB. Not actually tried if it will charge over micro USB.
Has Bluetooth and wifi, obviously. A bluetooth keyboard will likely be much cheaper than the keyboard dock supposedly available for this device.

Whilst things like Photoshop and Fusion 360 clearly will kill it, as a general purpose device, its quite usable performance wise.

I also have an Acer Windows Tablet, but don't use, because the screen is too small, and keeps resetting to its native resolution that is too high for the screen size.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 September 2017, 10:16:28 »

That's a setting.

Again, all our android tablets have GPS with most having no SIM capability.

A lot of the unbranded ones lack the GPS hardware if it doesn't have the cellular modem, due to the reliance on AGPS.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 September 2017, 19:44:33 »

Thanks for all the views .... I'm looking more at a win 10 system as a mini-laptop system rather than an overgrown mobile phone Android system. Also starting to head towards a 2-in-1 system with detachable keyboard for the same reasons.

Even though on holiday, I will still need to do a little updating of some club websites I run, some secretary type work for the clubs, etc, etc, which I find easier to do with a "real" keyboard rather than an onscreen one. Use of Office and Filezilla being the tools of choice, and I have no idea if Filezilla works with Android, although I know there are Office look-a-likes for Android

Wifi access should be pretty reasonable for much of the trip as staying with Brother in Law in Aus and Son in NZ for much of the time, so able to logon to their wifi, but it might get a little more difficult whilst we do the NZ road trip in a campervan, which is when tethering on a local SIM card in the mobile is the basic idea.

I could do all I want with the present laptop, but it is large and heavy, and a 10" tablet seems to be a light, useful size to take instead, especially with a detachable keyboard so all the screen is visible and not half-covered by the keyboard app.

Still well open to suggestions.. is my "desire" for win 10 wrong ?? Are Android apps as good as Office ?? Does Filezilla work on Android ??

Many thanks again .. Nige

If you use 3 here there are no extra charges abroad,maybe worth a look as NZ is covered
other rides 

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 September 2017, 20:01:15 »

If you use 3 here there are no extra charges abroad,maybe worth a look as NZ is covered

When I was last abroad (June), 3 mobile would not allow me to tether any other device and use the data. I could only use it on the phone itself.

Unless they have changed their policy (and I haven't seen anything in the media that would suggest they have), this would help entwood.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2017, 20:55:24 »

I thought the 30Gb limit dropped to 12Gb if you tethered :-\

Might only be PAYG though :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 September 2017, 09:28:27 »

Even in Euroland, "free" data roaming is capped by most operators, due to the costs involved.  Buying a local SIM is always going to work better if you need to use mobile data.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.