Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiator change  (Read 1182 times)

powerslinky

Radiator change
« on: 17 September 2017, 07:46:45 »

Along with Bigron , we both will have to have a new rad for our 2.6 omegas.

I've had a quick search for a "how to" on here  . . .but nothing found ( probably is   but I cant find it  :()

Question is ,  are there gearbox oil cooler pipes to be disconnected when doing a rad change?  I know (obviously) there are several coolant pipes to come off as well as disconnecting the electrical connections to the rad switches etc.

But is the gearbox fluid cooler part of the rad or a separate item that does not need to be touched?

Any advice greatly appriciated . . .TIA  :y

powerslinky

Re: Radiator change
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2017, 09:01:08 »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2017, 10:04:18 »

On a 2.6 the ATF cooler is a stand alone unit. Pipes run over the O/S of the rad and just undo with a Torx bolt (similar to AC pipes the other side).

I think my last one took about 25 minutes to get out, 20 mins to swap everything over and 30 mins to fit. All times include tea and not rushing.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2017, 10:17:36 »

Really need to try and source a radiator that has the fixing points for the external autobox oil cooler if you can.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2017, 10:20:29 »

Really need to try and source a radiator that has the fixing points for the external autobox oil cooler if you can.

How can you tell from an Ebay ad? They all seem to claim compatibility with manual and auto.

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2017, 10:24:04 »

On a 2.6 the ATF cooler is a stand alone unit. Pipes run over the O/S of the rad and just undo with a Torx bolt (similar to AC pipes the other side).

I think my last one took about 25 minutes to get out, 20 mins to swap everything over and 30 mins to fit. All times include tea and not rushing.

LD, you make it sound SO easy! Considering how long it took me to sort my screenwasher pump, I reckon I would need to set aside a weekend at least, especially as my bodge with epoxy resin has entombed the radiator end of the top hose!
I need to try to rescue that hose as it seems they are as rare as hens' teeth now.   :(

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2017, 10:32:28 »

Yes, you need to disconnect the ATF cooler.

There are 2 possible rad types for v6, depending on coolant pipe layout. Make sure you order right one.

I did both my Omegas last year, one about this time, other in the middle of winter.  In daylight, its about an hour if you've done before. In the dark under torchlight, it took me about double that, as its not always easy to see whats catching.

Its "easy" but "fiddly" in places. One of those jobs where I wish I had tunnie hands ;D

If this is first attempt, give yourself the whole day, so you don't have to rush. Hopefully, 2 in a day is easily achievable, as next one will be so much easier.

The new rad will have integrated ATF cooler.  Keep using the external one though, just put plastic bungs in the integrated cooler holes to keep shit out.
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2017, 11:56:23 »

You can use the radiator with the built in cooler, or the one listed fo a manual with the ext cooler.
I changed mine to the built in cooler, seems to run 5' cooler than with the ext cooler, I've. Got an ext cooler, somewhere in hoof'land stores, and a radiator that's got a locating tag broken. Don't know if Serek got one in the other hoof'land stores. :y
Hoof'land storeman.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2017, 21:23:27 »

My old 2.2  automatic omega had a external oil cooler fitted to what I think was the wrong radiator because the external oil cooler was bolted to the top of the rad but the bottom fixings were secured to the rad by plastic cable ties...the rad was new and replaced by the previous owner and that had a oil cooler incorporated into the rad running down the right hand side so I took that off and replaced it with the proper 2,2 rad...I do not know which omega that rad fitted would it have been for a v6 ?????
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.