Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Porous wheel  (Read 3293 times)

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
Porous wheel
« on: 23 September 2017, 23:54:58 »

Right, slightly different type of help required this time.
I have a friend who has a rather unique historic car and one of its rear wheels had gone badly porous, to the point of can't be properly repaired. So is there a way to seal it so it won't leak air? There must be some sort of epoxy repair these days?
Whilst she can afford to have a new one made, the originality of the car is important. The car does not run competitively any more so the wheel isn't under a lot of stress, just needs to not leak air?
Anyone know of an answer? Preferably near Cheltenham but she will travel for a fix the keeps the original wheel on the car.
Al
If it aint broken, you aint trying hard enough

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Porous wheel
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2017, 00:03:32 »

What car, what wheel? 
The repair would be only cosmetic, not structural, surely?
Any chance of a picture?

Ron.

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2017, 00:28:29 »

Sorry, not my car so can't give details until I get the OK from the owner.
Like I said, doesn't need to be exactly race quality, just enough to hold the air in for demo runs. It can be resealed as often as needed cost wise, but logistically the liner it lasts the better.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2017, 08:14:52 »

Surely an innertube would be the easiest option ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2017, 08:22:37 »

Surely an innertube would be the easiest option ?
If that isn't safe or legal on a Micra, how can it be on a race car?

Plenty on materials on the market to seal it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2017, 09:09:23 »

Surely if the car in question is only being used for demonstration runs then an innertube would be acceptable,assuming it's being trailered to a track/other venue for these demo runs?Obviously if it's being used on the road then that would alter the situation depending on legality.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2017, 09:42:57 »

Surely if the car in question is only being used for demonstration runs then an innertube would be acceptable,assuming it's being trailered to a track/other venue for these demo runs?Obviously if it's being used on the road then that would alter the situation depending on legality.
Demo runs imply a performance level... and if track use, then I would argue that it should be of a higher standard than a bodge as the loadings are far higher than regular road use... :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2017, 09:46:14 »

So she can afford a new wheel, but doesn't want to buy one as it will "ruin the originality",

If they can build an original spitfire from just a bulkhead they find in France, 

Then replacing a wheel, isn't a problem, unless she's, an oof'er that only use's original parts. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2017, 14:13:04 »

So she can afford a new wheel, but doesn't want to buy one as it will "ruin the originality",

If they can build an original spitfire from just a bulkhead they find in France, 

Then replacing a wheel, isn't a problem, unless she's, an oof'er that only use's original parts. ;D

Originality is very important to her, she is going to get a new wheel made I think but she wants the old one to still hold air so the car can be driven on it. It sometimes goes up a hill climb at speed, other times it's just a gentle drive to show the car to the crowd, for those gentle runs she would like the original wheel on the car add the car is currently still unmodified from when it was raced in the 60's.
I haven't tried the minefield that is google yet, I was hoping someone on here would know if it is even possible to seal a porous wheel, a full permanent repair isn't possible as the wheel is porous all over. If the answer is it can't run on it then that's fine, but she would still like to have it sat on display for the weekend without it going flat as that looks bad. I doubt they make a tube wide enough
It isn't an area I have any expertise in, I do think it's a lost cause, but she would like to know for sure.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2017, 14:24:47 »

Without any details of the wheel, we can only piss in the wind... but an epoxy or rubberised coating from bead to bead would clearly seal it and not be seen from the outside ::)

A question for the metalurgists... at what point does a porous wheel become brittle?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2017, 14:28:18 »

Are you talking rim or tyre here when you say wheel?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2017, 14:33:07 »

Demo runs imply a performance level... and if track use, then I would argue that it should be of a higher standard than a bodge as the loadings are far higher than regular road use... :-\

Looking on the web, it would appear that some "performance" inner tubes are available for motorsport purposes and these can be used with tubeless tyres. For example, below is a link to Avon Motorsport website which details the use of tubes in tubeless tyres (towards the bottom of the page). Maybe worth contacting a contacting them to see what they have to say. Presumably Avon wouldn't be mentioning their use if they didn't consider it safe to do so.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/resource-centre/tube-fitment

As correctly pointed out, this may not alter the insurance/road legality of using such a tube.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2017, 14:41:14 »

Stick a tube in it ran a Ford Mexico for years with porous alloys , easy option.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2017, 14:51:36 »

Stick a tube in it ran a Ford Mexico for years with porous alloys , easy option.
My Dad was nearly killed and a toddler was killed in a pile up on the A11 several years ago because some one thought that would be a good idea to fit a tube to a tubeless tyre, so excuse me for poopooing the suggestion.

al brown

• alton, hants
    • Rusty 97 3l estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2017, 14:58:52 »

Exactly, it needs to be safe even if it's never going to go more that 30 and always behind a safely rail. The car is to valuable to wreck so if it needs a new wheel to be driven on the so be it. Still wants the original wheel to hold air so it can sit on it on display though. There must be some way to do that, I'll have to google it and see.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2017, 15:01:17 by al brown »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.