Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The derv has gone. Petrol superiority has been restored.  (Read 5802 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: The derv has gone. Petrol superiority has been restored.
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2017, 14:21:53 »

The most economical drivers aim for 5.0 for braking or the lack of it. 5.0 for cruise and constant speed. And 5.0 for being gentle with the pedal on the right. ::)

I managed 4.9 for the 'braking bit' :)

.. and just my luck I'll be stuck behind them. ::)

I always remember the Transit van versus Clarkson in some decent car around Nurburgring. Admittedly he didn't know the track too well shit. 

FTFY ;)

On any motorway you'll see the derv drivers sat in the inside lane with cruise set to 56 MPH. Fingers tightly gripping the wheel, a thousand yard stare in the eyes.

The more deranged amongst them refuse to go home until they match the manufactures official economy figures. ;) ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2017, 14:27:44 »

Can not see any point in having a prestige car with a diesel engine .

You're in a very small minority, as trying to buy a used one with a petrol engine will prove

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2017, 14:44:16 »

You're in a very small minority, as trying to buy a used one with a petrol engine will prove

I can agree with you there :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2017, 16:55:09 »

t means you can use it as your daily driver for 8+years when doing 25k miles a year without bankrupting yourself on fuel  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2017, 17:20:01 »

Good report.  :y

I think XF/XJ is only real choice post 3.2, although I’m looking at 2010 plate XF-S examples. If the fox deal goes through.

But for now 3.2 will do, really beginning to love the 3.2. Now the 2.2 has gone which it’s now becoming that special car!

It pains me to say it, Mr Tunnie, but even with a diesel lump under the bonnet you won't go far wrong with the new XF. :y

Christ Opti,it must have pained you to say that :o :o ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2017, 18:15:37 »

Yes, the dreaded derv has been banished but in some respects I actually quite liked it. Economy being one......

....but it's the 516 lb ft of 'stump pulling' torque that makes the car so effortlessly fast. Car is quiet and refined when cruising.

Pretty much says it all.   :y  I sense that your resilience is weakening, and with good reason.  :)

The diesel economy means that you can do monster miles on a steady run without hitting your wallet too hard. It means that you can take a drive out with the family without constantly watching the fuel gauge and worrying about the fuel cost. All of them are plenty quick enough but the big engines are surprisingly quick.
Our current 3.0d has a 0-60mph time of 4.7 seconds and I've been told that they will pull constantly all the way up to the limiter (70mph) on the A40 after a late-shift.... but I can't confirm that personally.  ::)  Although not great by any means compared to the two litre diesels of any chosen manufacturer, it will still return 50mpg on a run so not too shabby. The mid range grunt makes it quicker mid range than its petrol equivalent (even the M version ) so what's not to like.  :)
Luxurious, fast and economical, it is possible after all.  :y ( Unless you're TB, who manages to defy economy in an economical vehicle )  ;) ;D
Where it can't compete is in the sound sector, that lovely sound the 5.0 XFR makes when it takes off might just make it worth it.  :)
« Last Edit: 15 November 2017, 18:27:48 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 November 2017, 18:32:25 »

Yes, the dreaded derv has been banished but in some respects I actually quite liked it. Economy being one......

....but it's the 516 lb ft of 'stump pulling' torque that makes the car so effortlessly fast. Car is quiet and refined when cruising.

Pretty much says it all.   :y I sense that your resilience is weakening, and with good reason.  :)

The diesel economy means that you can do monster miles on a steady run without hitting your wallet too hard. It means that you can take a drive out with the family without constantly watching the fuel gauge and worrying about the fuel cost. All of them are plenty quick enough but the big engines are surprisingly quick.
Our current 3.0d has a 0-60mph time of 4.7 seconds and I've been told that they will pull constantly all the way up to the limiter (70mph) on the A40 after a late-shift.... but I can't confirm that personally.  ::)  Although not great by any means compared to the two litre diesels of any chosen manufacturer, it will still return 50mpg on a run so not too shabby. The mid range grunt makes it quicker mid range than its petrol equivalent (even the M version ) so what's not to like.  :)
Luxurious, fast and economical, it is possible after all.  :y ( Unless you're TB, who manages to defy economy in an economical vehicle )  ;) ;D
Where it can't compete is in the sound sector, that lovely sound the 5.0 XFR makes when it takes off might just make it worth it.  :)

Er.....not really. ;)

I'd still rather eat coal than buy a diesel with my own money. I merely suggested that for anybody choosing a car run on narrow boat fuel then the new Jaguar XF is worthy of consideration. :y

Long live petrol. ;) :D :D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 November 2017, 18:40:15 »

Don't know about elsewhere but round here diesel is now 5p per litre dearer than ordinary unleaded so that take a bit of the edge off the economy side of things,not much I grant you but some anyway.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2017, 18:42:09 »

Don't know about elsewhere but round here diesel is now 5p per litre dearer than ordinary unleaded so that take a bit of the edge off the economy side of things,not much I grant you but some anyway.

I also think that diesel cars become more expensive to repair as they age.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 15 November 2017, 18:54:21 »

I don’t think that reall comes into the equation now, Opti. Modern Petrol and diesel cars are, more or less, bulletproof in the engine department. In fact, if it wasn’t for MOT and servicing, I doubt many of them would see the inside of a garage at all.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 November 2017, 19:01:57 »

Er.....not really. ;)

I'd still rather eat coal than buy a diesel with my own money. I merely suggested that for anybody choosing a car run on narrow boat fuel then the new Jaguar XF is worthy of consideration. :y

Long live petrol. ;) :D :D

I am genuinely considering the XF as a replacement for the Omega in the future so thanks for the write up.  :y Not sure yet whether to keep it sensible and look for a late'ish 2.2/2.0 or do what I usually do and go for the non-sensible option.  ::)
I would dearly love one like yours, if only for the noise  :) , but I would kick myself soon after due to the lack of economy.
I had never looked at the XF before but I've been looking recently and I am genuinely surprised at the reasonable prices that you can get a two year old XF diesel for. You get an awful lot of car for sensible money.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 November 2017, 19:04:26 »

I don’t think that reall comes into the equation now, Opti. Modern Petrol and diesel cars are, more or less, bulletproof in the engine department. In fact, if it wasn’t for MOT and servicing, I doubt many of them would see the inside of a garage at all.

Meanwhile, back in the real world............

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 November 2017, 19:20:14 »

Fatty admins XJ will be one to watch, 12 months of his driving is about same as 10 years normal driving.  ;D

So if his survives a year, it’s a good sign.  :D

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 15 November 2017, 19:56:00 »

Most people change their cars every five to eight years, so there shouldn’t be a problem. If you want to hang on to an aging rust bucket however........... ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 November 2017, 19:58:39 »

Most people change their cars every five to eight years, so there shouldn’t be a problem. If you want to hang on to an aging rust bucket however........... ::)

Forty years from now the Omega could fall into this bracket. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.