Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifi usb dongle  (Read 1317 times)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Wifi usb dongle
« on: 21 November 2017, 16:56:00 »

My new ISP router has turned up.. :y Its probably crap coz its from an ISP.

However I note its a dual band router....

So if I was buy a 5Ghz dual band usb dongle, would I notice much performance increase?  :-\

I might probably be less hampered by other 2.4Ghz networks surrounding me, if I used the 5Ghz  :-\

Thoughts?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi usb dongle
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2017, 19:41:22 »

Don't bother with usb.

Replace the wifi card in the lappy instead, *if* you really want 5GHz.

The intel ones supporting AC are arounf £25 delivered
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2017, 00:39:00 »

Why not usb? and don't think I could replace the wifi in the notebook as its probably built in.....

Not many peeps around here maybe using 5Gbz thats why i thought maybe a good idea  :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2017, 10:06:02 »

Unless you want a 6" aerial sticking up from the side of your laptop, the signal capturing ability of the microscopic antenna in a USB dongle will probably negate any benefit you might have had - especially considering 2.4GHz goes through walls/floors etc much better than 5GHz does.

However, these are good cards:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALFA-Network-AWUS036AC-Alfa/dp/B00LLBQLNW/
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALFA-Network-AWUS051NH-V2-Detachable/dp/B00REZPU3G/

(Great for nefarious activities, too.)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2017, 15:26:40 »

Why not usb? and don't think I could replace the wifi in the notebook as its probably built in.....

Not many peeps around here maybe using 5Gbz thats why i thought maybe a good idea  :-\
The WiFi antenna in the USB is a small compromise antenna designed to fit inside for portability (probably a PCB printed design type), where as the Lappy will have a tailor made design which is normally designed for the antenna cable to run around the Screen Lid making so much more sensitive to Receive and Transmit the WiFi Signal, you may need to check your device is compatible with a 5Ghz type.

5Ghz may give you a shorter signal range in a bigger House, if it was me first thing I would be doing is checking what channels are being used by what on your existing 2.4Ghz set up first, theres plenty of Apps out there which will do this. 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2017, 17:10:22 »

Also worth bearing in mind that, if you change the adaptor inside the laptop, its existing antenna might not work too well at 5 GHz. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2017, 17:14:10 »

The WiFi antenna in the USB is a small compromise antenna designed to fit inside for portability (probably a PCB printed design type), where as the Lappy will have a tailor made design which is normally designed for the antenna cable to run around the Screen Lid making so much more sensitive to Receive and Transmit the WiFi Signal, you may need to check your device is compatible with a 5Ghz type.

5Ghz may give you a shorter signal range in a bigger House, if it was me first thing I would be doing is checking what channels are being used by what on your existing 2.4Ghz set up first, theres plenty of Apps out there which will do this.

I would only use it on my notebook, which usually sits 10 feet away from the router in the same room, everything else would stay on 2.4Ghz. For the kit connected upstairs, they use powerline adaptors.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2017, 18:25:43 »

You will not get a satisfactory result consistently.

I've yet to see a truly built in wifi adapter on a laptop/netbook, they all plug into mini PCIe slots.  Frequently in the RAM access panel (which may be under keyboard).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2017, 18:27:02 »

Also worth bearing in mind that, if you change the adaptor inside the laptop, its existing antenna might not work too well at 5 GHz. ;)
I don't think they tune the antennas that well for 2.4GHz either.

IME, I've never had issues changing a 2.4GHz card out for a 2.4/5GHz card and reuse existing antennas.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.