Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone watching.......  (Read 7339 times)

STEMO

Is anyone watching.......
« on: 22 April 2018, 19:36:15 »

......In at the deep end? HMS Queen Elizabeth sea trials tonight in part two. It's one fickin big boat.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone watching.......
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2018, 19:39:50 »

Yet still only two thirds the Nimitz class!

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2018, 19:42:25 »

What struck me, Chris, was the age of the junior crew members (some of them making their first trip to sea). They look like frightened school kids but, I'll bet, by the time it's ready for action, they'll be.......well, ready for action.  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2018, 21:03:26 »

Guessing only poor hard up pensioners, can afford to watch it, not on my 5  channels.
Hoof'land storeman.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2018, 21:06:45 »

Been lucky enough to see these “in the metal” twice; once in Hong Kong and once in San Diego. Awe-inspiring both times! :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2018, 21:17:11 »

Been lucky enough to see these “in the metal” twice; once in Hong Kong and once in San Diego. Awe-inspiring both times! :y

I went round the USS Nimitz in a boat when it was anchored off Portsmouth when I was a kid with my dad, it was frickin huge  :o

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2018, 21:21:22 »

Guessing only poor hard up pensioners, can afford to watch it, not on my 5  channels.
I'll keep it simple for the..........simple. It's on number 2, that's the one between 1 and 3.  :)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2018, 21:41:35 »

I'll keep it simple for the..........simple. It's on number 2, that's the one between 1 and 3.  :)

Radio 2 it is then. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2018, 21:44:39 »

Yep been watching this-at last a decent programme worth watching.A lot of state of the art stuff and a crew of only 700 where the Americans have crews in the thousands.I was surprised that the upper deck guns they test fired on tonights episode aren't radar guided or something instead of being "hand held" as it were and aimed seemingly by eye.First thing I thought when they said she went to sea with 200 civilian workers aboard for finishing work was "Shades of Prince of Wales when she sailed with Hood to find Bismark" but no doubt plenty of ships have sailed with "civvies" on board.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2018, 21:51:56 »

Yep been watching this-at last a decent programme worth watching.A lot of state of the art stuff and a crew of only 700 where the Americans have crews in the thousands.I was surprised that the upper deck guns they test fired on tonights episode aren't radar guided or something instead of being "hand held" as it were and aimed seemingly by eye.First thing I thought when they said she went to sea with 200 civilian workers aboard for finishing work was "Shades of Prince of Wales when she sailed with Hood to find Bismark" but no doubt plenty of ships have sailed with "civvies" on board.
It's a fickin floating disaster area, nothing works.  ;D Put out of action for weeks by a stray lobster pot. Hope Vlad wasn't watching, he might go for it with a whole string of pots.  ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2018, 07:49:52 »

Is it only us that'd invest all that time,effort and money in building an aircraft carrier and not have any actual aircraft to put on it?Pretty much like building a battleship without the guns.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2018, 09:41:00 »

Is it only us that'd invest all that time,effort and money in building an aircraft carrier and not have any actual aircraft to put on it?Pretty much like building a battleship without the guns.

I could lend them a glider if they want...

Oh, hang on. BAE says it'll cost another £100Bn for the glider winch option. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2018, 10:17:42 »

What struck me, Chris, was the age of the junior crew members (some of them making their first trip to sea). They look like frightened school kids but, I'll bet, by the time it's ready for action, they'll be.......well, ready for action.  :)

Do you find that police officers are looking younger these days?. ::) ::) ::)

I'm the same age as Ms.Dick.........which is an ironic name for a woman who prefers something other than dick. :)
« Last Edit: 23 April 2018, 10:19:24 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2018, 11:31:20 »

Do you find that police officers are looking younger these days?. ::) ::) ::)

I'm the same age as Ms.Dick.........which is an ironic name for a woman who prefers something other than dick. :)
I can't really say, I haven't seen a police officer for a couple of years.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2018, 12:24:58 »

The UK has taken delivery of 14 F35Bs so far and they are still all in the US as the pilots are being trained there at the moment. The carrier landing and take-off trials will start this year. The pilot skills required for carrier operations are more demanding than virtually any other type of flying, so at about $100m an aircraft taking their time to get them fully operational is perfectly reasonable. :y :y :y

The UK going for the VTOL version with the carrier having no catapults or arrestor gear is also sensible considering the size of our defence budget and the amount of additional training required for this type of operations. :y :y :y Russian carrier attrition rates shows what happens if you don't have sufficient regular training, where they lost two aircraft in carrier accidents during their short Syrian deployment. :-[ :-[ :-[
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.