Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CV boot clip question  (Read 1452 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
CV boot clip question
« on: 27 June 2020, 17:54:05 »

Changed the front pads on the bingo today and noticed a fair bit of axle grease on the drivers side had escaped. Found that the outer CV boot is fine but the metal clip has broken so has no tension, thereby allowing the escape.

No problem, fresh clips and a tool to fit them with are on order. But, looking at the CV joint casing, I was expecting there to be a groove  that the clip sits in to stop the rubber boot slipping off when you wind some lock on the steering. But the casing is smooth.

Do the clips do up tight enough to just hold the boot against the casing and stop it sliding off, or am I missing a trick?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: CV boot clip question
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2020, 18:00:33 »

It must just rely on being tight enough ....

could you not have just used a cable tie?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2020, 18:13:35 »

I had a browse round online, as I considered jubilee clips and zip ties, both of which which I have on hand.

Consensus seemed to be that you couldn't get a zip tie tight enough to hold it (if there had been a groove and a corresponding ring on the inside of the boot I would have given it a go), and there isn't enough clearance around the other components on the hub for a jubilee clip's grub screw to rotate.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2020, 18:33:34 »

fair does ....  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2020, 20:00:35 »

I don't know what you mean by a bingo. I have changed gaiters on a Meriva and an Astra and managed well enough with cable clips. Is the bingo particularly demanding?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2020, 20:36:41 »

I don't know what you mean by a bingo. I have changed gaiters on a Meriva and an Astra and managed well enough with cable clips. Is the bingo particularly demanding?
Well, it's French if that counts...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2020, 20:39:54 »

Sorry Terry, I was referring to our Citroen Berlingo.

It's a particularly horrible vehicle, but not overly demanding in the suspension and drive train department.  ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2020, 22:09:29 »

Sorry Terry, I was referring to our Citroen Berlingo.

It's a particularly horrible vehicle, but not overly demanding in the suspension and drive train department.  ;D
A Citroen! That takes me back 40 years, to when I had a young family. I bought a CX family estate, and drove my family, plus my parents, on several holdays, in UK and France. Car was big, comfortable, fast and reliable.
It had an annoying design fault.  It took a minute of cranking to restart a hot engine after a 20 minute shut down. most embarrassing on the Isle of Wight ferry. Eventually I did cure it, it involved soldering the carburretor float chamber needle valve.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2020, 22:26:58 »

Ours has a number of annoying design features. Chief among which are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever say in, and that includes several ride on lawn mowers and at least one Ryanair plane seat.

It also has a semi automatic gearbox that's so dim whitted it's borderline dangerous. This has been all the more noticeable of late due to the number of lycra clad morons riding children's toys around the local roads since the bat flu struck, mostly very slowly with much wobbling.  ::)

But. It was free, and it is unparalleled when it comes to moving loads of cr@p from one place to another. So far it's saved us a solid couple of grand in skips, and so far, touch wood, it's been very reliable.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2020, 22:31:51 by Viral_Jim »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2020, 14:33:44 »

Ours has a number of annoying design features. Chief among which are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever say in, and that includes several ride on lawn mowers and at least one Ryanair plane seat.

It also has a semi automatic gearbox that's so dim whitted it's borderline dangerous. This has been all the more noticeable of late due to the number of lycra clad morons riding children's toys around the local roads since the bat flu struck, mostly very slowly with much wobbling.  ::)

But. It was free,and it is unparalleled when it comes to moving loads of cr@p from one place to another. So far it's saved us a solid couple of grand in skips, and so far, touch wood, it's been very reliable.
At that price you cannot grumble, good that it has turned out to be useful and reliable. My CX was cheap, quirky, useful and reliable. I eventually sold it to a friend running a taxi business, who got many more years out of it. I replaced it with a Peugeot 504 family estate, again cheap and big, but lacking power steering so a handful to drive fast.
In those days,cars had coil ignition and carburretors, worked perfectly well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.