Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 2929 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Hong Kong
« on: 30 June 2020, 23:06:15 »

China have now passed a new law in regard to Hong Kong by 160 odd votes to 0. This has brought widespread condemnation which I'm sure will cause the Chinese no end of sleepless nights...…...not!! The text of the new law was kept secret until after the voting had taken place :D :D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020, 23:21:54 »

Is it potential life in prison for violation?

I wonder if Europe will protest
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 23:33:18 »

Protest at what exactly?

China doesn't answer to any meaningful agencies :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2020, 06:32:55 »

Protest at what exactly?

China doesn't answer to any meaningful agencies :-X

Why should it, it's there train set, there rules, we gave it back 23 years ago.
Hoof'land storeman.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2020, 10:46:12 »

YLM 😄😃😀
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2020, 11:02:39 »

As far as I can see, the law isn't any more powerful/draconian than what the US has in place, but everyone has to get more excited because its china.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2020, 11:20:10 »

The result may be that many of the wealthy / wealth generating Hong Kong residents leave, and thus cause severe damage to the economy of Hong Knog, and to a lesser extent the overal Chinese economy.
I think the UK Govt. may allow some of them to come here,although it would be madness to allow a free for all, for the 7.5 million of them.
It may have been acceptable before B Liar gave a "come one come all" signal to Europe and swelled the UK population to bursting point, but wouldnt be practical now.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2020, 12:19:05 »

The only way to stop China doing anything is to not buy anything/stop using companies operating with Chinese money and given as that is fundamentally impossible on a global level, it's not going to happen.

The other thing that might just do it is to stop sending them materials. Although this would mean effectively shutting down several economies around the world.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2020, 12:25:10 »

I intend to make a bit of an effort to avoid buying Chinese made stuff from now on. Not entirely possible I know, but if we all made a bit of an effort we might just stop them from buying the world.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2020, 12:32:42 »

If one good thing comes out of Covid, it might be that the Western world takes a clearer eyed view of communist China.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2020, 12:35:47 »

I intend to make a bit of an effort to avoid buying Chinese made stuff from now on. Not entirely possible I know, but if we all made a bit of an effort we might just stop them from buying the world.
Too late. They already own most of Africa, the Caribbean, Central America and effectively Australia given that most of their exports are to China.

And the countries they don't own, they sell to and effectively control either by buying up companies or flooding markets and smothering local producers.

The difficulty is that we have to pay alot more for decent stuff because fewer producers make things, and even then the chances are the items are made in China (albeit with strict quality control... this being the primary difference between the genuine items and knocked off tat).

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2020, 17:27:02 »

Too late. They already own most of Africa, the Caribbean, Central America and effectively Australia given that most of their exports are to China.

And the countries they don't own, they sell to and effectively control either by buying up companies or flooding markets and smothering local producers.

The difficulty is that we have to pay alot more for decent stuff because fewer producers make things, and even then the chances are the items are made in China (albeit with strict quality control... this being the primary difference between the genuine items and knocked off tat).

Yup and 2nded,.  I've started my own rebellion, I'm not buying their food. :D
Hoof'land storeman.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2020, 19:18:16 »

Read it today that Boris is offering up to three million HK Chinese entry here for five years. After another year, they can apply for UK citizenship. Don't know how that's going to work and where the hell will we put them all. ;D Sorry, can't do links. :-[

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2020, 20:22:19 »

Read it today that Boris is offering up to three million HK Chinese entry here for five years. After another year, they can apply for UK citizenship. Don't know how that's going to work and where the hell will we put them all. ;D Sorry, can't do links. :-[
Glasgow, with the rest of them  :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2020, 21:09:06 »

They have all had the right to apply for the last 23 years !! All part of the "deal" when the agreement with China over the lease of HK ended.

The only thing that has changed is that the original limits on British National Overseas Passport holders in Hong Kong who were granted special status in the 1980s, gave them restricted rights and they were only entitled to visa-free access to the UK for six months. Those time limits have changed, and they are now able to come to the UK for five years, and after a further year, they will be able to apply for citizenship.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good (but untrue) headline .....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.