Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windfall  (Read 1557 times)

STEMO

Windfall
« on: 23 July 2018, 15:52:52 »

I worked for Vauxhall motors in Ellesmere Port for about 8 months in the early seventies. During this time, I paid into a company pension. Today I received a letter informing me that this pension would now pay out.
I can take a lump sum of £38.80, the first 25% being tax free, but the remaining 75% being subject to income tax, which the pension company, Abbey Life, will deduct.
Or...I can take an annual pension of £1.94. This may be subject to income tax, depending on my personal circumstances.
They advise me to contact an independent financial advisor before making a decision.

What would you do?  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Windfall
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2018, 16:00:11 »

I worked for Vauxhall motors in Ellesmere Port for about 8 months in the early seventies. During this time, I paid into a company pension. Today I received a letter informing me that this pension would now pay out.
I can take a lump sum of £38.80, the first 25% being tax free, but the remaining 75% being subject to income tax, which the pension company, Abbey Life, will deduct.
Or...I can take an annual pension of £1.94. This may be subject to income tax, depending on my personal circumstances.
They advise me to contact an independent financial advisor before making a decision.

What would you do?  ;D

Surprise, surprise........take the £38.80 and run!! ;D ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2018, 16:03:44 »

What would you do?  ;D

About £33 after tax...I could put half a tank of diesel in with that.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2018, 16:07:03 »

What would you do?  ;D

About £33 after tax...I could put half a tank of diesel in with that.  :)

;D ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2018, 16:32:38 »

Transfer the lot into your other provider.
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2018, 16:34:26 »

Now you made it public, expect begging letters and friends and family, who you have not seen in years to appear  :(

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2018, 16:41:37 »

Now you made it public, expect begging letters and friends and family, who you have not seen in years to appear  :(
I don't have any friends and most of my family moved...during the night. Hard to fathom why, really. :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2018, 17:29:28 »

Take the £1.94 per annum, as you said in another thread that you come from a family that has enjoyed longevity!  ;)

As the amount is so small, you might not have to pay tax on it, so after 17 years you'll be in profit!  :)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2018, 18:08:49 »

Consider taking the £1.94 as that is a 5% return. Ask them if you get a guaranteed payment length, say you are looking for 5 years as a minimum and is there any annual inflation escalation, while keeping a straight face and taking in a deeply serious voice,  but she might have to discuss it with her boss before she gets back to you. ;D ;D ;D

If she suggests that you are taking the pee, tell her, well your letter started it. ;D ;D ;D

So, then take the mighty lump sump and look to buy an open market annuity with it. ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

2boxerdogs

« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2018, 18:27:06 »

Spend it wisely 😀😁😂

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2018, 19:12:06 »

Take the lump sum and you might actually be able to buy some shoes that fit you properly :-*

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2018, 19:23:33 »

What would you do?  ;D

How did you achieve that, at a car plant in Liverpool in the 70's.
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2018, 19:27:16 »

Must've been a strike breaker :D :D :D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2018, 19:45:15 »

Steve, I think given the variety of advice offered, you should consult your financial adviser, ignore him, and then buy another Omega with the £38.80. ::) :y

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2018, 19:51:19 »

Steve, I think given the variety of advice offered, you should consult your financial adviser, ignore him, and then buy another Omega with the £38.80. ::) :y
I'd need an estate, and it would have to be a facelift. I might have to put a tenner towards the payout. :-\
But, yes, worth considering.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.