Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Car shopping  (Read 34767 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Car shopping
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2018, 12:47:00 »

The ashtray was full.  ;)

Not had a ciggy since 1980. Although I have been known to partake in the twisted extra long roll your own variety.

If it's good enough for Elon Musk....... :)

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2018, 12:54:03 »

Right. And how does the price they are asking compare to what they gave you for trade in?

Ah...yes. Most dealer were offering around £23500 as a P/X.

Jaguar Watford offered £25000......I knew there was a 'reason' in there somewhere. :)

They then put it up for sale at £29995.
Now on sale at under £24K. Hmmmm. I think that's a lot of car for the money, although buying is only the first instalment on cars like that. For someone like me, who refuses to get his hands dirty, services, maintenance and road fund license would probably make my eyes water.
It all comes down to two things for me: How much am I willing to pay for the stupid grin on my face, and living with the frustration of never really being able to open the taps. I dropped my lad in Bradford this morning, 33 miles each way on M1 and M62. Took me best part of an hour each way. Ford anglia or 5 litre jag would have made no difference.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2018, 13:02:40 »

Right. And how does the price they are asking compare to what they gave you for trade in?

Jaguar Watford offered £25000......I knew there was a 'reason' in there somewhere. :)

Now on sale at under £24K. Hmmmm. I think that's a lot of car for the money, although buying is only the first instalment on cars like that. For someone like me, who refuses to get his hands dirty, services, maintenance and road fund license would probably make my eyes water.
It all comes down to two things for me: How much am I willing to pay for the stupid grin on my face, and living with the frustration of never really being able to open the taps. I dropped my lad in Bradford this morning, 33 miles each way on M1 and M62. Took me best part of an hour each way. Ford anglia or 5 litre jag would have made no difference.

You have a point, up to a point......

Tyres, brakes, etc..etc... are all expensive consumables.

But....... using the Jaguar 3+ service plan it only cost £199 for a small and less than £300 for a major service.

Insurance is £300 P/A and road tax is the same as the mighty Signum......about £11 a week.

Let's not add depreciation to the cost equation because I don't 'do sensible' very well. :)

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2018, 13:05:11 »

You have a point, up to a point......

Tyres, brakes, etc..etc... are all expensive consumables.

But....... using the Jaguar 3+ service plan it only cost £199 for a small and less than £300 for a major service.

Insurance is £300 P/A and road tax is the same as the mighty Signum......about £11 a week.

Let's not add depreciation to the cost equation because I don't 'do sensible' very well. :)
And the bit about crawling everywhere at 50 mph?

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2018, 13:08:48 »

My astra is much faster on the M1 than almost anything else. On the way back this morning, I could tell a few beemers and audis thought my Vauxhall to be an upstart. But the couldn't keep up with me. Why, I wonder? ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 September 2018, 13:24:42 »

Speaking of 'elderly' Indian cars I notice my old Tata has resurfaced. This time in desirable Preston. :)

Strange as I told it to Jaguar Watford. ???

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808239795248

The advert says it has had 4 owners.  Which number owner were you M'lud?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 September 2018, 13:33:08 »

Speaking of 'elderly' Indian cars I notice my old Tata has resurfaced. This time in desirable Preston. :)

Strange as I told it to Jaguar Watford. ???

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808239795248

The advert says it has had 4 owners.  Which number owner were you M'lud?  ???

According to the log book the first owner was a doctor. I was number 2, which suggests people do not keep their cars for very long.

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 08 September 2018, 13:35:30 »

Come on, gits, you never asked me why my astra was the fastest car on the M1.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 September 2018, 13:37:21 »

My astra is much faster on the M1 than almost anything else. On the way back this morning, I could tell a few beemers and audis thought my Vauxhall to be an upstart. But the couldn't keep up with me. Why, I wonder? ::)

Perhaps I'm odd but I always thought your Astra estate was a good looking car. A proper engine and a less offensive colour and it could have been a keeper.

Much the same with the Tunnie Passat. Nice looking coupe let down by the Massey Ferguson engine. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 September 2018, 13:39:30 »

Come on, gits, you never asked me why my astra was the fastest car on the M1.  ;D

I assumed it was part and parcel of a 'delusional personality' :)

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 08 September 2018, 13:39:57 »

Perhaps I'm odd but I always thought your Astra estate was a good looking car. A proper engine and a less offensive colour and it could have been a keeper.

Much the same with the Tunnie Passat. Nice looking coupe let down by the Massey Ferguson engine. :)
Mine is a keeper, suits me perfectly.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 September 2018, 14:28:57 »

Steady on! VAG cars aren't anything like that reliable. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 September 2018, 16:02:19 »

Jury's well and truely out on what to go for.

Need
Decent size
Decent comfort
Decent performance
Decent economy
Decent reliability
Decent Age & Mileage

Searching £10-15K, but wanting to spend in the middle of that bracket
Define decent ::)

Buy an approved used Avensis from a main dealer and build a relationship with them and call it done :y

E Class would be my personal choice, top of your budget should reach a 3 year old 220.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2018, 16:06:56 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 September 2018, 16:38:20 »

Oh,I'm not so sure,my Touareg has just clicked 160k and in the three years I've owned its only had servicing,no repairs
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 September 2018, 16:57:54 »

Oh,I'm not so sure,my Touareg has just clicked 160k and in the three years I've owned its only had servicing,no repairs
Yes, but it's basically a Porsche :D
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.