Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dad! There's a red light on the dash!  (Read 3579 times)

KillerWatt

Re: Dad! There's a red light on the dash!
« Reply #30 on: 12 June 2009, 20:32:14 »

Not quite....you are liable for any damage YOUR car causes...
So a TWOC'r hits my parked car up the jacksie at 70mph, which then causes my car to go through the neighbours front room and end up kiling them....and I'm responsible because I didn't put the handbrake on?

Get f**king real  ;D ;D

Liability ends up with the schmuck who wasn't paying attention in my world.

Ultimate liability yes but, the insurance companies are known to go knock for knock on the costs of such incidents
They like to try it on for sure, but if you're in the right then you need to stand up for youself and not take any crap.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 June 2009, 21:06:35 »

Not quite....you are liable for any damage YOUR car causes...
So a TWOC'r hits my parked car up the jacksie at 70mph, which then causes my car to go through the neighbours front room and end up kiling them....and I'm responsible because I didn't put the handbrake on?

Get f**king real  ;D ;D

Liability ends up with the schmuck who wasn't paying attention in my world.

Ultimate liability yes but, the insurance companies are known to go knock for knock on the costs of such incidents
They like to try it on for sure, but if you're in the right then you need to stand up for youself and not take any crap.

Insurance will do anything to get out of paying out...

YOU didnt apply parking brake, as taught no driving test, and likely demanded in car's handbook.

Yes its the bloke who hit's you car's fault, but they turn round and say if your handbrake was on, your car wouldnt have gone so far, and Joe would still be alive.

Tenuous I know, and agree, but also possible.  >:(

Same on motorway pileups, if you dont leave enough stopping distance, then someone goes up the back of you, you hit car in front.  they claim off your insurance, who try and claim it back and so on.

'In your World' - It aint that one that counts  :'(
« Last Edit: 12 June 2009, 21:07:44 by jimbob »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 12 June 2009, 21:40:30 »

And I do drive manuals as well.
It's the parking pawl that gets snapped, loose metal in the box, not good!

The parking pawl being a little key about 4mm across that slots into the output shaft IIRC. Not much to hold 1800 Kg of car.

Also, using Park as a brake means there is a load of torque on the drivetrain. I have a theory that this can distort the rubber doughnut coupling on the end of the propshaft. There is certainly vibration from the drivetrain on my car in the morning if it's left on my slightly sloping driveway in "P". I now ensure the handbrake is holding the car in "N" before putting it into "P" and no problems recently.Kevin

Good detail..and convincing theory which I do the same always.. :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.