Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3018261 times)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #9195 on: 20 December 2014, 16:24:44 »

I replaced both the battery clamps with very good quality ICE gold plated type which bolt onto the terminals a damn sight better than the standard clamps from factory, so they aint an issue..

The alternator is working fine and dandy, as said (but seems it keeps getting missed) that this has been happening for some time regardless of time of day or year... its not something that has just startedas the weather has changed so using more of the electrical systems in the car i.e. the heater blower, demister etc... this happens at anytime day or night.... usually overnight...

I'll get to the bottom of it, with or without the ignorant sarcastic smart arse comments... :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #9196 on: 20 December 2014, 16:42:21 »

Follow the guide to the letter. It includes where and how to look for stray currents.

Obvious culprit is a sticky delay relay or possibly a faulty Ice component. Which Tilda also mention.

Ignore the tone and take the advice as it's given

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: 20 December 2014, 16:53:46 »

I have followed the post to the letter, I know how to fault find on a car... Iv been doing it for many many years... This fault that is on mine is intermittent.... the car can be OK for days sometimes weeks, then suddenly the battery just goes flat. Can be overnight or during the day....

I did suspect a faulty ICE component, the amplifiers provide the biggest current drain, I disconnected them at first port of call, the battery still drains...

However - the battery today has been OK overnight, we shall see what tomorrow brings...

Al - I wasn't 'having a go' at you, but maybe the patronising way that was written in the post. I was looking for an answer not a smart arse comment about things being used more at this time of year... Im more than capable of finding an electrical fault on a car, when the fault is there... when its intermittent, it is usually by chance that it is resolved...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: 20 December 2014, 17:30:49 »

very good quality ICE gold plated type
Generally, you want both parts of any given connector to be the same material, in order to stop an insulator building up due to a chemical reaction.

That's why, for eg, in your home, your leads' connectors should match the amp/speaker material. Gold plated is far from ideal if the other side of the connector isn't.

HTH for future ref :y

So in the case of lead acid battery connctors, the last thing you want is gold plated. Marketing over reality  :'(.

That's not to say GM ones are perfect.  Esp not the ones on 2.2 petrols, that all seem to be poorly crimped.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: 20 December 2014, 17:31:36 »

Drove the Silver Bullet to work yesterday. Ran out of coolant and oil. Oppps.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: 20 December 2014, 17:45:10 »

I have followed the post to the letter, I know how to fault find on a car... Iv been doing it for many many years... This fault that is on mine is intermittent.... the car can be OK for days sometimes weeks, then suddenly the battery just goes flat. Can be overnight or during the day....

I did suspect a faulty ICE component, the amplifiers provide the biggest current drain, I disconnected them at first port of call, the battery still drains...

However - the battery today has been OK overnight, we shall see what tomorrow brings...

Al - I wasn't 'having a go' at you, but maybe the patronising way that was written in the post. I was looking for an answer not a smart arse comment about things being used more at this time of year... Im more than capable of finding an electrical fault on a car, when the fault is there... when its intermittent, it is usually by chance that it is resolved...
Don't know if it is the cause on your car but.... the ignition switch keeps various auxiliary circuits live until you pull the key from the ignition and the centre of the switch pops out. Lots of people have had the switch get sticky and found that the centre wasn't popping out, the interior lights, radio and computer display stayed lit and their battery would go flat overnight.

Intermittent too..........

I think there might be a guide somewhere about how to clean and lubricate the switch.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: 20 December 2014, 18:23:09 »

Thanks for the advice folks, the ignition switch fully switches off .... if that can be understood LOL

The battery posts was fully cleaned before the new battery connectors was fitted, I did see that the positive cable running to the aux fuse box thats in the square box under the bonnet was corroded (gone green) so that got replaced with a better piece - albeit not new - but a better conditioned wire... The alternator etc..has had what is called the big three upgrade for the wiring so the alternator is working at best efficiency for the ICE system that is installed... A brand new earth clamp and lead was fitted for the engine block as I suspected the engine block to chassis cable may have either broken down or corroded internally...

As said, its intermittent... I could go out to it today and run it without a problem, could go to it tomorrow without a problem - come Monday it'll be dead.... I'll keep at it until its either solved or scrapped LOL

Thanks for the suggestions...

Maybe make a new thread instead of clogging this up....?
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #9202 on: 20 December 2014, 18:39:53 »

Drove the Silver Bullet to work yesterday. Ran out of coolant and oil. Oppps.
Do you fancy a 3.0 Astra g manual saloon to match TBE? ::)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: 20 December 2014, 21:32:00 »

Thanks for the advice folks, the ignition switch fully switches off .... if that can be understood LOL

The battery posts was fully cleaned before the new battery connectors was fitted, I did see that the positive cable running to the aux fuse box thats in the square box under the bonnet was corroded (gone green) so that got replaced with a better piece - albeit not new - but a better conditioned wire... The alternator etc..has had what is called the big three upgrade for the wiring so the alternator is working at best efficiency for the ICE system that is installed... A brand new earth clamp and lead was fitted for the engine block as I suspected the engine block to chassis cable may have either broken down or corroded internally...

As said, its intermittent... I could go out to it today and run it without a problem, could go to it tomorrow without a problem - come Monday it'll be dead.... I'll keep at it until its either solved or scrapped LOL

Thanks for the suggestions...

Maybe make a new thread instead of clogging this up....?

:y I have a amp meter which can measure very low current (clamp on type) pulling fuses till the current drops shows which circuit is playing up, if its playing up when your checking that is.

omega3000

« Reply #9204 on: 21 December 2014, 15:12:19 »

Soldered a broken aerial wire .... radio working a treat now  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #9205 on: 21 December 2014, 16:25:22 »

Thought it was about time I put the cars I'm not using on charge..

M3 unlocked fine and the Optimate went on, plus it started last week so I reckon I'm good there.
RX8 next.. Battery reads 2.8V on the Lidl trickle charger.. Never seen a 12v battery read that low! Guess that's well and truly beyond saving..
Omega next.. Battery reads 2.0v, another record low. Oops! Wonder if the battery warranty covers obvious neglect!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: 21 December 2014, 18:37:31 »

Whilst out and about in Bicester, I noticed the amount of green mould on the Battlebus' sunroof, so when I got it home, I thought I ought to wash it.

Then I looked at TBE, and it was filthy, so washed that as well.  The poor Bullet then looked a bit sorry, so did that one as well.

It was bloomin' freezing out there, the wind had a nasty bite :(
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #9207 on: 21 December 2014, 18:55:22 »

Might spend a couple of days next week giving my two a going over :-X

Silver one hasn't been washed for two months, and white one had a cloth run over it when it rained a month ago to stop it looking sooo abandoned, but need to shift the stringy green stuff from the window rubbers  :-[ :-X

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: 22 December 2014, 15:27:06 »

Speedo cluster out, fitted new blubs, then took it alll out again as forgot to plug in mid.  :o
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #9209 on: 22 December 2014, 15:42:02 »

Speedo cluster out, fitted new blubs, then took it alll out again as forgot to plug in mid.  :o
Got that t shirt ;D

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.