Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind deflectors  (Read 3730 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Wind deflectors
« on: 14 September 2015, 11:58:17 »

Anyone fitted wind deflectors to the front side windows ? Are they any good ?  Anyone got a link to a supplier of them , only ones i can see are ones from overseas about £30 :-\
Omegatitis

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Wind deflectors
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2015, 12:16:49 »

Most on here dont appear to like them...clim air  do them for around £56..and heko do them.....but i think that they dont just clip in as the channel is not deep enough on an omega face lift so they have to be glued in place....and bearing in mind that doing 70mph it would have to be good glue adhesive to keep them from flying off and doing god knows what damage to other vehicles....i would like to fit them on mine but because they need gluing in place it has put me off,just in case they do fly out. :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2015, 12:22:53 »

This was asked before some time ago, and I can answer similar to how I answered that OOFer...

If you're after them for stylistic reasons alone, then read no further. No idea where you can get them from, but I'm sure someone will be along soon  :y

If it's because of their aerodynamic properties then.... You'll find the design of the Omega (and any car post about mid 80s) is intended to sculpt the air as best it can around the shell, leaving as clean a 'slipstream' as possible. The Omega in particular manages 0.29, which was top of the class back in 1994. Turbulent air is the cause of drag, same as carrying a folded bedsheet vs carrying by dragging it behind you. Little whisp from the door mirrors, some in the engine bay, bits kicking from the wheels, and then a dollop behind the bootlid.

Case 1
Fit deflectors and you're tripping the air from the side of the car, and causing the entire side of the vehicle to become turbulent. OK, so it's causing 'poorer fuel economy' boo hoo, etc, we all run fat old V6/other barges that aren't ever going to be a Prius, but nevertheless, you're actually causing air to jump from the side of the car. Consider a rowing boat with the oars angled a bit to as to generate force - that's what you're doing.

Case 2
there's varying pressure across thr whole bodyshell. That's probbaly unsurprising to most who read this. One are that is common on vehicles is just after the A-pillar. This is where the air pouring off the screen flows round the side. Hold a baking tray under a tap and the water doesn't run down immediately, it flows off in an arc. Same physics. So it's potentially that if you fit deflectors you're inserting this in an area of low pressure, where there's very little airflow, and consequently zero impact on the cars aero, and therefore, no poiint in fitting them, as you're not deflecting any air, as there's no air to deflect  :)

Note: as you drive down the road in the rain. there's a portion of near-static droplets, and above that, a curtain or sheet of free-flowing water, almost like a stream. Guess where the near-stationary air and the fast-flowing air is on that.  :)

That's why, when you lower the window a tad on a fast-moving vehicle, you don't get blasted with 70mph wind - in fact, there's a slight draught which pulls fag smoke/last night's curry out. Yup, area of low pressure doing that. Open the window further and further, and then you get a massive gust blowing your face off - that's the high pressure zone coming into play  :)

And it's the low pressure zone that the deflector is in. So either
a) little real-world benefit - the deflector isn't able to do anything, any more than if it were on the back seat.
b) Worse than no benefit - you're effectively widening the a-pillar, enlarging that low-pressure zone, but at the expense of mucked up aero over the whole bodyside.

As I say, if it's a style thing, worry not, help yourself. But just so long as you know that they're not actually doing anything good, you're not saving 1p every mile or anything. Bit like mudflaps, they cut a bit of grime off the sills, sure, but probably add up to a few quid in fuel every year, too.  :y

EDIT: someone was along soon! hehe  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2015, 12:28:44 »

You know when its raining and you want to open the window for what ever reason and the rain all runs into the car off the roof ect >:( Just that really and i thought they looked pretty good too  :) Dont fancy gluing them but there is some good self adhesive strips you can buy like gorilla tape  :-\
Omegatitis

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2015, 12:31:53 »

Bring back Quarterlights!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2015, 12:32:39 »

Yep in my case it was a styling thing and i like to drive with a window slightly open..(yep i know thats what air con is for ) but in the rain you cant realy have window open as the rain comes in,,,,So after a lot of consideration decided not to fit them....But hey I didnt know that mudflaps can cause less m.p.g...but i suppose thinking about that they would because of the air drag...so i have learnt something else today..lol...Anyway it is down to individual preference ,so if you like them,then fit them. :y

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2015, 12:34:29 »

You know when its raining and you want to open the window for what ever reason and the rain all runs into the car off the roof ect >:( Just that really and i thought they looked pretty good too  :) Dont fancy gluing them but there is some good self adhesive strips you can buy like gorilla tape  :-\
Had them on my Orlando for just reason, worked a treat. I bought the hero ones and they were secured by 3M tape.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2015, 13:00:24 »

Had them on my Orlando for just reason, worked a treat. I bought the hero ones and they were secured by 3M tape.

Will have a look for those  :)

Dont go above 50 mph so they wont rip off  :P
Omegatitis

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2015, 13:12:47 »

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2015, 13:23:50 »

You mean like these

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=132313.0

Yeah , can you get them off the car and post them  :) ;D
Omegatitis

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2015, 13:36:09 »

They seem to be popular in Japan as you always see them fitted to Jap imports.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2015, 13:45:01 »

41,90 €   posted for the fronts from HEKO  :) 30 notes  :y
Omegatitis

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2015, 13:45:40 »

Will have a look for those  :)

Dont go above 50 mph so they wont rip off  :P
Heko.....fickin gaypad thinks it knows what I mean better than I do...... ;D

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2015, 13:46:46 »

I think I got mine from Poland, about ten days delivery.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2015, 19:28:07 »

Yeah these are from Czermno Poland  :)
Omegatitis

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2015, 22:21:21 »

have set of those in stock  :y :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2015, 22:27:05 »

have set of those in stock  :y :y

Keep them for me serek please  :) Need to pay you a visit soon anyway , will ring you .
Omegatitis

kevin xf

• Oxford
    • omega 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2015, 10:01:31 »

Hi lads   ive bought some heko deflectors  not fitted them yet... what glue will i need to get? and how do i stop the window going back down as soon as  it hits the pllastic?   thanks   :y

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2015, 10:20:32 »

I used them in my orlando, so may be different, but they came with 3M tape and a peel off paper at the top. Bit awkward to actuall get them in once you've revealed the sticky stuff, but mine were ok.
I never used them as wind deflectors as such, I like to open my window a touch and they kept the rain off the door switches.

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2015, 10:29:34 »

Hi lads   ive bought some heko deflectors  not fitted them yet... what glue will i need to get? and how do i stop the window going back down as soon as  it hits the pllastic?   thanks   :y
That's the automatic safety cut off... Integral to the motor iirc :y

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2015, 10:31:41 »

That's the automatic safety cut off... Integral to the motor iirc :y
The Windows don't hit anything, the deflectors I got slotted up into the groove at the top. Window sat alongside them.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.