Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance, ANPR. I think I might be sick  (Read 4819 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Insurance, ANPR. I think I might be sick
« on: 20 November 2015, 20:23:03 »

I came over to the UK for a month to help with funerals and associated stuff and drove around in our Corsa thinking it was insured.

It now comes to light that the MIL opened the insurance renewal and thought it was for her road mobility scooter which she doesn't use in the winter so just tucked it away.    :-[  Our fault for not diarying it out.

Now I drove it up to Scarborough from Leicester via the A46, A1, A64 and back plus around Scarborough. Please tell me that we haven't between us picked up a zillion ANPR recordings and subsequent persecution prosecution. How does it work please? How long does it take?  Serious question from an otherwise law abiding citizen possibly soon to be reduced to bicycling. :'( :'( :'(
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance, ANPR. I think I might be sick
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2015, 20:26:20 »

I think you will be fine, the Police have to catch you in the car. There are ANPR cameras around but on speed cameras they are used for speed monitoring, calculating the average. It may ping alerts for insurance or MOT but the police would need to find you and stop you.

Often on these police programs, they catch drivers who have been going about for years without anything. MOT, tax etc.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2015, 20:29:08 »

Yep. Otherwise, they've got 14 days to deliver a NIP to the registered keeper, but I think it's only speed they can prosecute for after the event.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2015, 20:44:44 »

For almost a year SWMBO had her car insured on the wrong registration number ...... my fault too I suppose for not checking the details properly, I'd insured a Mondeo somewhere  ??? ....... the car had been up & down the country too

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2015, 20:46:21 »

If its taxed and not on the MID, the Registered Keeper will be getting a warning letter and or fine from the DVLA soon.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2015, 20:54:59 »

Well it is taxed  but no insurance from 5th Nov (how fitting) till today!

How much is the fine likely to be ?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2015, 21:01:15 »

Relax. All the criminals hide out on the Costa del Crime, you'll just be another statistic.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2015, 21:02:43 »

I reckon nothing will be said, especially if it's only just run out. Plenty of insurers are probably slow at updating the MID, so I reckon they'll leave it a few weeks before pulling people.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2015, 21:58:46 »

100 quid or 50 if paid early, no payment tends to go into prosecution, but as Kevin says you have a few weeks if not a month before they send it out. 

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2015, 23:10:15 »

MID can take up to 14 days to update at the best of times ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2015, 23:51:53 »

I think that ANPR cameras primarily look for untaxed cars as they're more interested in revenue than road safety!  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2015, 01:16:54 »

I think that ANPR cameras primarily look for untaxed cars as they're more interested in revenue than road safety!  ::)
+1  :y

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2015, 15:58:23 »

No they don't!

Anpr cameras primarily look at no insurance, travelling criminals, disqualified drivers. They can pick up none taxed vehicles but we rarely do anything with them now as its a DVLA issue. If we stop a no tax we fill in a CLE2/8 form and just waz it off to DVLA.

If you pass a camera and you've 'No Insurance' you physically have to be stopped by the police to get 'booked' & have your wheels seized.

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2015, 19:05:11 »

No they don't!

Anpr cameras primarily look at no insurance, travelling criminals, disqualified drivers. They can pick up none taxed vehicles but we rarely do anything with them now as its a DVLA issue. If we stop a no tax we fill in a CLE2/8 form and just waz it off to DVLA.

If you pass a camera and you've 'No Insurance' you physically have to be stopped by the police to get 'booked' & have your wheels seized.
In this case thats not what happened to the OP, so his alright.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2015, 12:53:53 »

100 quid or 50 if paid early, no payment tends to go into prosecution, but as Kevin says you have a few weeks if not a month before they send it out.
Just to add then, the DVLA fine I'm talking about, is not reliant on the car being picked up by ANPR Camera, but more from DVLA records Tax Data vs MID Data, ie, cars taxed but is not showing up the MID, therefore either 'Insurance Co has screwed up' or 'its probably not Insured', but as said there is a breathing space period before that letter goes out.

If your Insurance ran out on the 5th, but is back up and running again a few days back, you've not had a bump, stopped by Plod or unknowingly written off a load of people standing at a Bus Stop etc, then you should be fine, or more to the point, got away with it, so just put it down to experience.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2015, 16:28:14 »

Zirk I don't get where ya coming from???

What fine will DVLA give you???

DVLA only give out fines for no Tax as far as I'm aware, they can't give fines for no insurance as it is an endorsable offence (i.e. points on your license).

There's no way that they can match up tax data vs MID data because MID doesn't take into consideration fleet policies / traders / etc. where one policy lists 'any vehicle in the policyholders posession'.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2015, 17:43:14 »

Zirk I don't get where ya coming from???

What fine will DVLA give you???

DVLA only give out fines for no Tax as far as I'm aware, they can't give fines for no insurance as it is an endorsable offence (i.e. points on your license).

There's no way that they can match up tax data vs MID data because MID doesn't take into consideration fleet policies / traders / etc. where one policy lists 'any vehicle in the policyholders posession'.
Its not a fine for say 'driving without Insurance' its a fine for not having Insurance in place whilst the vehicle is Taxed (the info is grabbed from the MID and DVLA vehicle tax records).

It come into force a few years back and is part  of the Tax it or Sorn it policy, from memory its called something like Continuous Insurance Enforcement.

The vehicle could be parked up on Private Property, Off Road etc, but if its Taxed it needs to be Insured other wise it gets picked up on the system (eventually) and a fine gets issued to the RK. Only exception is if the vehicle is Sorn'd or registered as 'in the trade'.

EDIT, here you go - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
« Last Edit: 22 November 2015, 17:53:39 by zirk »

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2015, 18:07:41 »

Don't see how that can be enforced accurately, as like I say company, fleet & traders never show on MID and its always out of date, (well it is when I ring em up  ::) ::) ::) ) i know Aviva have recently had problems, Admiral multi-car sometimes doesn't show up additional cars, and one insurer who has recently been taken over doesn't have any policys showing on MID. That and countless numbers of cock-ups by insurers putting wrong digits down it'll be a minefield. I'd be surprised if it 50% accurate.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2015, 18:10:04 »

Oh Crikey. and it cost £70 extra to renew over the phone.  :'(

I have just had a look at that link and our car is showing as insured on MID so it was updated pretty quickly.

If you don't hear anymore assume we were lucky. If we are unlucky I will let you know and by how much! ::)

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2015, 18:13:00 »

Don't see how that can be enforced accurately, as like I say company, fleet & traders never show on MID and its always out of date, (well it is when I ring em up  ::) ::) ::) ) i know Aviva have recently had problems, Admiral multi-car sometimes doesn't show up additional cars, and one insurer who has recently been taken over doesn't have any policys showing on MID. That and countless numbers of cock-ups by insurers putting wrong digits down it'll be a minefield. I'd be surprised if it 50% accurate.
So..if ANPR is linked to MID, and you admit that MID is shite, then 50% of the motorists you tug could well be perfectly legal, but if they can't prove that, you take their car?

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2015, 18:29:32 »

So..if ANPR is linked to MID, and you admit that MID is shite, then 50% of the motorists you tug could well be perfectly legal, but if they can't prove that, you take their car?

Nope because we ring their insurer  :y :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2015, 18:37:20 »

Are these phone lines really manned 24/7, even over the holidays?

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2015, 18:41:50 »

Nope!

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2015, 18:44:38 »

Nope!
Then I wanna speak to the Chief Constable. Have you got his number handy?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2015, 18:51:07 »

Out of interest Jasonm, how many times do or have you come across a 'Blocked File' when looking up vehicle index's

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2015, 18:57:46 »

Nope!
Then I wanna speak to the Chief Constable. Have you got his number handy?

999  ;D ;D ;D

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2015, 19:00:03 »

Out of interest Jasonm, how many times do or have you come across a 'Blocked File' when looking up vehicle index's

Not very often
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.