Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega tyres: what's the cheapest?  (Read 4808 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Omega tyres: what's the cheapest?
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2015, 21:35:07 »

Speaking of tyres, the 2.2 needs a set of boots soon. I really like the Kumho KU31's on there now, but I know some here are not keen  ::)

Found some online, £59 a corner delivered.

Anyone had experience of these people?

http://www.oponeo.co.uk

They are fine. Slow to ship, but otherwise ok.

Cheers  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2015, 21:37:39 »

Speaking of tyres, the 2.2 needs a set of boots soon. I really like the Kumho KU31's on there now, but I know some here are not keen  ::)

Don't forget most fitters will charge £15+ per tyre....

WIM wanted £81 a corner for KU31 :(

Might try my local garage here. See what they charge for fitting only.

As I've got some KU39s I want moving from an old set of Elite alloys to a newer style set.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 November 2015, 09:26:10 »

Mr The Bear,

I am currently running four Michelin HX better known as the spare wheel tyre as fitted from the factory. Have to say very chuffed with them, plenty of grip in all weathers. No, they're not up there with the old Enduros, Kuhmo etc... but I'm paying on average £20-30 online auctions, with a local tyre place that will fit two tyres for £15 cash in hand. I only buy brand new/7mm ones.

Like yourselg, I'd like to get some goodyears etc, spend £100 a corner, or whatever is the best tyre for the Omega there is, however, that's not happening at the mo, and I've found this to be the very cheapest way of getting a brand name for next to nothing.  :) You'll just need some 15" rims is the only catch.

The best bit for you is 15s will help accelerations times!!!  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2015, 10:35:37 »

Mr The Bear,

I am currently running four Michelin HX better known as the spare wheel tyre as fitted from the factory. Have to say very chuffed with them, plenty of grip in all weathers. No, they're not up there with the old Enduros, Kuhmo etc... but I'm paying on average £20-30 online auctions, with a local tyre place that will fit two tyres for £15 cash in hand. I only buy brand new/7mm ones.

Like yourselg, I'd like to get some goodyears etc, spend £100 a corner, or whatever is the best tyre for the Omega there is, however, that's not happening at the mo, and I've found this to be the very cheapest way of getting a brand name for next to nothing.  :) You'll just need some 15" rims is the only catch.

Aren't these going to be out of date? Tyres don't last forever
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2015, 10:50:04 »

True, but not seen any signs of any cracking, or dryness, I have carefully examined them all. As well, they've been in the relative dryness of a boot, not exposed to UV weather etc for 10-20 years. Or, to put it another way, we're all driving around with one of these tyres in our boots, which we're presumably happy with driving on in the event of a puncture.

Perhaps it comes in the same bracket as fitting a second hand ignition barrel -  a move which some were dead against when I did it  - my point at the time being everyone here is running with a second hand ignition barrel unless they choose to fit a brand new one before every journey. I've got a used, bald tyre in the back yard which is probably half the age of the Michelins I have fitted. It is cracked and clearly unuseable, even were it not for the lack of tread, but this was in daily use for years. The Michelins in comparison due to their storage are like new.

As potential point - does anyone know what Omegas were fitted with from the factory? I know 80s Vauxhall often came with Uniroyals, and of course the spare we know was a Michelin, and FLs seem to have Firestone or Dunlop - but were the road wheels similarly equipped? Just in case Webby wanted to try and get a set for the super Vx-accurate 0-60 test  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2015, 11:30:48 »

Already covered on page 47536 of his 0-60 thread... ::)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2015, 11:40:23 »

Already covered on page 47536 of his 0-60 thread... ::)

Meow  ;D

Saucer of milk for Al  :D :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2015, 11:43:43 »

Well I still love you, Webby  :)  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2015, 18:01:06 »

As I've got some KU39s I want moving from an old set of Elite alloys to a newer style set.
Which isn't massively off the £59 + fitting (+ delivery?) you are paying.

Some fitters seem to desperately struggle balancing Omega wheels. No idea why Omegas seem so fussy.  Before monkeynuts in town learnt the error of his ways, I'd drive all the way to WIM just for balancing, as nobody could get it right.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2015, 18:02:12 »

Mr The Bear,

Hopefully not ones from Omega spare wheels, as they are not suitable for regular use...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 November 2015, 21:50:38 »

Which isn't massively off the £59 + fitting (+ delivery?) you are paying.

Some fitters seem to desperately struggle balancing Omega wheels. No idea why Omegas seem so fussy.  Before monkeynuts in town learnt the error of his ways, I'd drive all the way to WIM just for balancing, as nobody could get it right.

It was £59 delivered. I might by 2. Wait a month then buy 2 more, spread the cost.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2015, 22:49:24 »

Well I still love you, Webby  :)  :D

lol cheers mate :):):)

the originals we've concluded were Michelin ps2's or ps3's I believe. some pennies needed first though  :'(
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.