Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircon (good time of year for this one)  (Read 1703 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Aircon (good time of year for this one)
« Reply #15 on: 19 November 2007, 18:11:51 »

I believe that it is now "illegal" to just replenish an air-con system .. it has to have a pressure check for leaks first .. environmental pollution and all that .....

I had mine done for £40 last spring at a tyre place in Swindon ... Imperial Tyres ... very impressed.

They took temperature readings before and after, pressure tested then drained and refilled.  

Been working a dream ever since

:)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 November 2007, 20:49:45 »

I believe that it is now "illegal" to just replenish an air-con system .. it has to have a pressure check for leaks first .. environmental pollution and all that .....

We'd better take all those cans of R134a from the shelves of Halfords if that was the case. IMHO it's illegal to knowingly fill a leaky system with refrigerant.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2007, 20:52:25 »

We'd better take all those cans of R134a from the shelves of Halfords if that was the case. IMHO it's illegal to knowingly fill a leaky system with refrigerant.

Are they legal anyway ??  :)

http://www.allpartsautomotive.co.uk/allparts/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=16197

(OK .. I know they probably are ... but with halfrauds .. who knows ??  :) )

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 November 2007, 22:59:36 »

They're a waste of time anyway, IME. Only experience i've had of one the canister didn't appear to have enough pressure to transfer gas into the system. Press the trigger and nothing happened. In any case, it's essential that the system contains the correct quantity of refrigerant and that can only be achieved by vacuuming it out and adding a measured quantity.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2007, 23:16:04 »

They're a waste of time anyway, IME. Only experience i've had of one the canister didn't appear to have enough pressure to transfer gas into the system. Press the trigger and nothing happened. In any case, it's essential that the system contains the correct quantity of refrigerant and that can only be achieved by vacuuming it out and adding a measured quantity.

Kevin

Whilst I agree completely with you that the A/C sysytem is supposed to have its meaured kilo-ish(?) of refrigerant, I realised earlier this year that mine wasn't getting anything like as cold as it should be. I had a couple of cans of R134a that I'd bought in Wall Mart a couple of years back, so, as I already had them I'd nothing to lose so put a can into the sytem. So far, so good! The A/C runs nice & cold when required.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 November 2007, 08:53:17 »

It is illegal to knowingly refill a leaking system.

As I have said in the past, and many have said in this thread, a proper vac and regas is the only real way forward.

Incidentally, the A/C should be serviced every couple of years by doing this and replacing the receiver / dryer.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.