Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking wheel nut problem  (Read 10127 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Locking wheel nut problem
« Reply #30 on: 07 December 2017, 13:10:02 »

Should I try the scrappie for ordinary bolts, or are Vx prices sensible?

Ron.

New ones are about a quid. No need to go to a dealer. Your decision.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 December 2017, 13:47:00 »

As mentioned above, I have found alloy wheels, with their steel centres, rusted hard on the hubs. I tried kicking them, hitting them with hammers, to no avail. Only way I could shift them was to leave the wheel nuts half a turn loose, then go for a 2 mile drive; that never failed. Steel wheels were no trouble. Once off, a good wire brushing of the hubs, and some grease, ensured I could get the wheels off next time.

Large dead blow hammer works every time.
Just don't do that on a customer's car fitted with Irmscher wheels, else you might piss them off a bit when you've mangled their chocolate wheels (or use 4x2).

With crap wheels like the Irmscher ones, such as Sportstars, or even softer, MFL MV6 wheels, terry paget's idea works best...   ...though 2 miles is excessive, I do half the length of my drive, accelerating and braking briskly :y.  Only once have I had to do it more than once.

As Nick W says, when the wheel is off, clean up mating surfaces, and smear a bit of quality coppaslip, such as the Molyslip stuff (not the shite like carplan), and problem permenently solved :)
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 December 2017, 13:47:31 »

Ron.

Ron, I may have some spares buried somewhere in my shed. Will try and have a look over the weekend and let you know.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2017, 13:48:56 »

Ron.
Available anywhere, even use from breakers here.

If not coming off a broekn Omega, just check length is right...   ...yes, I've driven off with bolts that were too long in one of mine  :-[  ;D
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2017, 14:22:42 »

As mentioned above, I have found alloy wheels, with their steel centres, rusted hard on the hubs. I tried kicking them, hitting them with hammers, to no avail. Only way I could shift them was to leave the wheel nuts half a turn loose, then go for a 2 mile drive; that never failed. Steel wheels were no trouble. Once off, a good wire brushing of the hubs, and some grease, ensured I could get the wheels off next time.

Large dead blow hammer works every time.
Just don't do that on a customer's car fitted with Irmscher wheels, else you might piss them off a bit when you've mangled their chocolate wheels (or use 4x2).

With crap wheels like the Irmscher ones, such as Sportstars, or even softer, MFL MV6 wheels, terry paget's idea works best...   ...though 2 miles is excessive, I do half the length of my drive, accelerating and braking briskly :y.  Only once have I had to do it more than once.

As Nick W says, when the wheel is off, clean up mating surfaces, and smear a bit of quality coppaslip, such as the Molyslip stuff (not the shite like carplan), and problem permenently solved :)

Genuinely never had any irmschers in but point taken  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 December 2017, 16:29:49 »

My sister has gone to Dorset today to bury a 100 year old chum, The Mokka has 19" wheels, but 5 screw fitting like the Omega. I imagine an Omega wheel would not fit, but I suppose it might, as long as it did not foul the brake caliper. Does anybody know?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 December 2017, 22:36:48 »

My sister came round yesterday with her car, and I intended to replace her locking wheel nuts with 4 Omega straight wheel screws - no chance, The Mokka uses nuts, not screws, and in the box containing the LWNRT were no simple nuts, so I could not replace the locking nuts with simple nuts. So next time she gets a puncture, she will again have to phone the AA and let them recover her and car to a tyre shop, and good luck to her.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2017, 18:33:25 »

Pcd is different on the newer generation of 5 stud vauxhalls, too, sadly. 5 x 120 rings a bell.  :(
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 December 2017, 13:59:58 »

Pcd is different on the newer generation of 5 stud vauxhalls, too, sadly. 5 x 120 rings a bell.  :(
Certainly the case with the Insignia... wheel nuts are 21 (iirc)mm too :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 December 2017, 15:29:28 »

My sister has asked me to get her a spare wheel. From what you say old Vx wheels will not fit, Must it be a new wheel from a Vx dealer?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 December 2017, 15:54:00 »

My sister has asked me to get her a spare wheel. From what you say old Vx wheels will not fit, Must it be a new wheel from a Vx dealer?

Check that there is actually a space to keep it in before you buy one. That will determine whether you can use an ordinary steel wheel of a similar size(off a Corsa for instance) or need an appropriate space saver. It's also worth checking that you can actually fit one of the proper wheels in the boot.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 December 2017, 07:52:01 »

Check that there is actually a space to keep it in before you buy one. That will determine whether you can use an ordinary steel wheel of a similar size(off a Corsa for instance) or need an appropriate space saver. It's also worth checking that you can actually fit one of the proper wheels in the boot.
Thank you. Very good advice there. I guess that means getting the car to my place, jacking it up, taking a wheel off, and putting it in the space in the boot floor, if space there be.

I regard this change of policy on spare wheels as a retrogade step, a silly fashion that will soon revert to the age old system of providing a spare wheel and tools to fit it with every new car.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 December 2017, 09:41:25 »

Got to agree with you there.Although I'm not a fan of space savers either at least they're better than that stupid can of foam[or whatever it is].Bigger wheel/tyre combinations are I think partly to blame+cost saving to manufacturer+weight saving to claim better mpg to appease the tree huggers.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 December 2017, 10:56:10 »

I regard this change of policy on spare wheels as a retrogade step, a silly fashion that will soon revert to the age old system of providing a spare wheel and tools to fit it with every new car.

Don't hold your breath: the sheer size of modern wheels, combined with the need to cram all sorts of crap in the spaces previously used for a spare, the costs and weight involved(both seem trival to us, but aren't to manufacturers) guarantee that finding a spare wheel in a new car will be a rare occurrence.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 December 2017, 18:07:31 »

Don't hold your breath: the sheer size of modern wheels, combined with the need to cram all sorts of crap in the spaces previously used for a spare, the costs and weight involved(both seem trival to us, but aren't to manufacturers) guarantee that finding a spare wheel in a new car will be a rare occurrence.
I fear you could be right. I blame it all on the alloy wheel. Car wheels are best made from 2 steel pressings welded together; cheap, light, strong. Alloy wheels are in every way inferior, but some people think they look nicer, so they get bigger, the tyres skinnier and the ride harsher. Alloy wheels are more likely to stick on the hubs, harder to change, more expensive, and more prone to damage. They are purely fashion items.

All my Senators came on steel wheels. All my Omegas came on alloy wheels, with steel spares.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.