Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Think its Misfiring dont fully know  (Read 2130 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Think its Misfiring dont fully know
« on: 19 July 2006, 21:58:45 »

Hiya Everyone Wondered if someone could shed some light on my problems.

I have a W reg 2000 2.0l 16v CD (Omega of course) LPG Converted
I am wondering if i have a missfire,

My Car Feels Lumpy when driving it used to be smooth as a babys bum.

When At idle or driving the gear stick vibrates if this make any difference or is that normal.

I have just changed the Spark Plugs and the old ones had oil on them so i know its a rocker gasget change. which i need to do. Bought the Gasget just need to fit it.

I am thinging i need to change the Leads and Dis Pack, but want to make sure it is before i do, And its not say the wheel balance or alignment.

The ICV has been totally Cleaned out so its not that.

I am going to sound daft here but what would you class as an Engine MissFiring ?

It does play up on gas from time to time I put my foot down and it Bucks and Kangeroos I know On Gas it will play up if there are any faults. Its Fine On Petrol apart from the lumpyness and vibration.

Thanks Any Help Would be greatly Welcome.

Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
Re: Think its Misfiring dont fully know
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2006, 22:18:46 »

i would concentrate on the petrol side of things first.

Have you checked the condition on the plugs? Are there any vacuum leaks? are all the pipes connected where they should be? Have you disturned any wiring whilst doing the IACV cleanout?

Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2006, 23:04:26 »

dont think there are any vacuum leaks i have checked the vacuum pipes and they all seam ok

it was lumpy before i cleaned the ICV but all the wiring should be ok.

The Plugs Are brand new only put them in on sunday thinking it cud be one of the causes, as you are ment to change the plugs ore often on LPG as it burns hotter giving the plugs a harder time or so i have read lol

To be truthfull the petrol side of things is not  bad apart from the lumpyness which seamed to kick in after about 5-10 mins or so now it is all the time but i only really knowtis it at speed. thats why i thought Dis Pack becuse it had gotten hot. but could be wrong i am more often than not :)

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2006, 23:04:39 »

Right - gas is harder to ignite - what is it like on petrol - if it is dodgy shove some injector cleaner through and run on Optimax (cleaning agents that work).

If it is fine on petrol I would fix the oil leak and replace both plugs and leads  - use original or NGK plugs.

If it is dodgy on petrol as well do the above first.

Now if it is OK on gas now, great, failing that you may need a DIS pack

archermk

• Roundabout City, Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2006, 06:27:42 »

My Car Feels Lumpy when driving it used to be smooth as a babys bum.

When At idle or driving the gear stick vibrates if this make any difference or is that normal.

It does play up on gas from time to time I put my foot down and it Bucks and Kangeroos I know On Gas it will play up if there are any faults. Its Fine On Petrol apart from the lumpyness and vibration.

Hi there, sounds like a similar problem to mine some weeks ago (but on a V6, so slightly different conditions under the bonnet). LPG tests the high-tension system more than petrol, so progressive faults will show up first on LPG, but eventually start to show on petrol. A breakdown in the DIS, leads or plugs can be a progressive failure, but not always. What is lumpiness and vibration today (on petrol) will be misfiring under load tomorrow then complete failure later. As a start I would suggest that you change the HT leads, firstly because its far easier than the DIS, and secondly because it seems to be a slighlty more common failure. If that doesn't work, then do the DIS.

And when you fix the problem, please let us all know what it was.

Regards
J

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2006, 16:46:58 »

been thinking about the slight lumpyness of the car Could the Timing belt have anything to do with it as i did have the Water pump replaced and they had to remove the timing belt to do this if it was not replaced correctly cud this cause lumpyness ?

Craig
Mod's

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2006, 16:50:12 »

Lumpyness from past experience with mine has been related to blocked breather pipes.

When you cleaned the ICV did you also clean the throttle body as there is a small drilling on the side that can cause idle problems.

The smaller breather pipe on the left handside of the rocker cover runs to the throttle body, this is the one that get blocked if your not so lucky.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2006, 16:57:13 by nixoro »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2006, 17:10:07 »

been thinking about the slight lumpyness of the car Could the Timing belt have anything to do with it as i did have the Water pump replaced and they had to remove the timing belt to do this if it was not replaced correctly cud this cause lumpyness ?

Craig

How long ago was the Cambelt kit replaced as they can become slack. this can also affect the running.

Was the timing belt kit replaced when they did the waterpump?
« Last Edit: 20 July 2006, 17:11:32 by nixoro »

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2006, 17:27:05 »

would seem a bit silly to do the waterpump and not the belt.

Chck also that the tensioner was replaced at the same time. Usually the belt is good for well over 40k, its the tensioner that fails.

If the timing was out a notch, it could cause rough running.
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2006, 17:27:23 »

The timing belt kit was changed at 60,000 miles and I bought the Car with 62,000 on the clock and changed the Water Pump at 64,000 miles so i am guessing the belt was tightened when the water pump was replaced.

Craig
Mod's
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.