Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 8365 times)

STMO123

Re: Help please
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2006, 19:47:45 »

If it's locking and unlocking I wouldn't go to the trouble of replacing the battery, it was just me clutching at straws as usual....

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2006, 20:10:14 »

If it's locking and unlocking I wouldn't go to the trouble of replacing the battery, it was just me clutching at straws as usual....

Not sure - I've had a spare key that would lock/unlock remotely but wouldn't start the car. It needed re-programmed.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2006, 20:17:44 »

The remote c/l has nothing to do with immobiliser. Immboliser transponder is not powered by batteries.

If it was immobiliser, the eml flashes.

My initial gut reaction was crank sensor, though this tend to go a bit intermittent initially.

31 is 'no rpm signal' - which is normal if engine isn't running. Not to say it isn't a cranksensor though, as ecu hasn't detected a signal.
Grumpy old man

Dai Fish

• Rhondda Valleys, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2006, 20:44:58 »

it sure is a straing one, I don't think I have read about a crank sensor going quite like this before, are there any other tests I can do to confirm its this.

I guess its a trip to Vauxhall's wonderful over priced parts dept in the morning, just hope they have one in stock

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 July 2006, 21:11:49 »

And there is more than one type, just to make it harder  >:(

Laidback will probably be able to tell you what type yours is.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2006, 21:12:27 »

Have you checked for fuel and sparks?
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 July 2006, 00:15:41 »

When cranking the engine does the eml flash? If so then immobiliser is still active (iirc)

Check there is fuel pressure at the schraeder valve, just visible at the back of the plennum.

Otherwise I would go with crank sensor. Code 31 is crank sensor related but it is always present when engine is stopped.

summat

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 July 2006, 08:14:06 »

Probably a daft question, but have you checked the batteries in your key fob. As far as I understand, the transponder in the fob has got to be able to 'talk' to the immobiliser.

Hmm, not convinced on this - the immobiliser chip on anything this new *should* (ok, there may be exceptions) be powered by the EM field from the immobiliser pickup around the ignition switch/barrel. Batteries in the fob are just for the RCL function.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #23 on: 15 July 2006, 10:23:10 »

i still stand that it may be immobilisor - if theres a problem the em management light will flash very very quickly - this is exactly wat i experienced. Although its possible crank sensor.  :-/

MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 July 2006, 16:45:19 »

Someone with a problem like this eventually found a problem with the fuel supply - either fuel pump relay, fuse or fuel pump itself.

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 July 2006, 16:57:48 »

Someone with a problem like this eventually found a problem with the fuel supply - either fuel pump relay, fuse or fuel pump itself.

Had that problem with SWMBO cavalier a few years ago, got the multi meter on the power lead connections to the fuel pump, no volts found that the relay was duff.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2006, 16:58:10 by salty »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 July 2006, 23:12:05 »

Sounds exactly like crank sensor to me.  :)

I can start another debate off with this, but a code 31 (as opposed to 19) means your crank sensor is dead.

No worries, easy job.  :)

You will need the later "round edged" sensor.

Buy one here. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRANK-CRANKSHAFT-SENSOR-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-NEW_W0QQitemZ4595936678QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10404QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FAR cheaper than Vauxhall and you can do this job yourself in under half an hour.
The Administrator.

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 July 2006, 23:22:57 »

Before you go rushing off to the Vauxhall Parts department I think I would check a few basics first. Have we got a spark at the plugs? Have we got fuel at the pump? Can we here the pump running? Have you checked for a blown fuse? On a large fuel injected car they flood very quickly once the engine won’t start and its doing lots of cranking, has it now flooded? Remove and clean the plugs.

I would run through the "basic car wont start routine" before moving onto the more technical things. You may well have a Crank Sensor problem but I would check the simple things first. If you don’t you'll likely end up wasting time and money on unnecessary parts. Do what the RAC do, basics first.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 July 2006, 09:46:44 »

Yep, I second that.  Basic first is alway good.

On my Omega (2.5V6) I had an issue where sometimes the engine would take a lot of turning over prior to starting.  When I replaced the battery I also checked all the relays and extra fuses in the engine compartment.  I think that one of them must have been slightly loose as now it starts on the button :) (not wishing to temp fate so better touch some wood) :-?

Fuel pump relay is a favourite but I, personally, would go with the crank sensor suggestion.  Normally, you do experieance the sensor "breaking down" but a total sudden failure is not unknown.................

HTH
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Dai Fish

• Rhondda Valleys, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 July 2006, 10:23:32 »

Hi sorry I have not got back before now but hurt myself doing the paperclip test (I have just had back surgery) and was laid up all yesterday, many thanks for all the replys guys.

Ok I checked for fuel when it would not start first of all and as far as I can tell everything is as it should be except it wont start so Crank sensor has to be favorite from the replys I have had so will order one first thing in the morning and let you know how I get on once I recieve it.

Again many thanks

Dai
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.