Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 8375 times)

Dai Fish

• Rhondda Valleys, South Wales
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #30 on: 16 July 2006, 10:44:47 »

One more thing is there a guide to changing the sensor or can anyone give me a rough idea

Many thanks again

Dai

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2006, 18:51:03 »

Before you go rushing off to the Vauxhall Parts department I think I would check a few basics first. Have we got a spark at the plugs? Have we got fuel at the pump? Can we here the pump running? Have you checked for a blown fuse? On a large fuel injected car they flood very quickly once the engine won’t start and its doing lots of cranking, has it now flooded? Remove and clean the plugs.

I would run through the "basic car wont start routine" before moving onto the more technical things. You may well have a Crank Sensor problem but I would check the simple things first. If you don’t you'll likely end up wasting time and money on unnecessary parts. Do what the RAC do, basics first.

I agree doing basic fault finding is a good way forward.....but if i remember correctly if the ecu detects a prob with the crank (real or duff sensor) it shuts the fuel pump off.....hence why it wont start.
So you wont hear the fuel pump running or get any fuel being pumped

Cheers

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 July 2006, 20:35:45 »

I think it cuts the sparks as well - certainly when my crank sensor died at around 90mph, it was an engine cut, not a cough/splutter of fuel cut.

Also, code 31 is normal for car thats not running (code 31 = no rpm signal, which there wouldn't be is engine wasn't running), code 19 is usually a sign of a failing sensor (19 = invalid signal)

It could be a failed crank sensor (completely failed), but worth checking the basics :)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 July 2006, 21:57:21 »

If when the engine is being crankced the ECU light flashes then its immobiliser, I suspect its not flashing and simply not starting.

In this case it would be the crank sensor as favourite, code 31 is the key here (and not 19).

It will be the round pin connector type.

As for the your part of Wales, I realy must take a trip down there sometime, some of my family come from the Rhonda (Ystrad - Tintagel Terrace), I keep promising myself I will pop down and take some pics.

Dai Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 July 2006, 22:30:12 »

Many thanks again for the replys, I did as many of the basic checks as I was able and I have a nephew who works as a fitter at a Vauxhall garage and he spoke to the top guy for the Diagnostics and he says exactly the same as you guys that it is a dead crank sensor so I will order one in the morning and hope that will sort it out.

Still would like to know if there are any tips for changing it on the site please

Mark if you want some photos you only have to ask mate I live five mins from there and would take some for you no problem, it would be my pleasure after all the help you have given me in the last 12 months

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2006, 08:24:05 »

I will take a few pics tonight and do a maintenance guide. :)

The Administrator.

Dai Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2006, 10:06:44 »

Many thanks Laidback

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 July 2006, 14:37:32 »

just come in on the end of this,

and funnily enougth when the wife went off in the omega this morning (98 2.5) it turned over but no spark. She tried again, nothing. tried a third time and bingo fired up and drove just fine.

so I am a little worried now. are there any more tell tale signs that this sensor is ending its life.

mine has done 101,000 miles and about to embark on a 2 week holiday in cornwall at the end of august. will be doing a full service on the girl before I go, but as I say I now feel somewhat uneasy.

bernie 400
On driveway: Blue 2.5 Reflection, Black 406(boring) & Ascona 400 (will be in Rothmans, oh yes!)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17 July 2006, 14:44:41 »

Remember that Women are an impatient breed and rarely let it turn over for long!

Bernie400

• cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 17 July 2006, 14:48:11 »

good point, well made  ;D
On driveway: Blue 2.5 Reflection, Black 406(boring) & Ascona 400 (will be in Rothmans, oh yes!)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 July 2006, 16:35:10 »

and funnily enougth when the wife went off in the omega this morning (98 2.5) it turned over but no spark. She tried again, nothing. tried a third time and bingo fired up and drove just fine.

so I am a little worried now. are there any more tell tale signs that this sensor is ending its life.

mine has done 101,000 miles and about to embark on a 2 week holiday in cornwall at the end of august. will be doing a full service on the girl before I go, but as I say I now feel somewhat uneasy.

bernie 400
Check it by starting engine and doing paperclip test (see FAQ). If engine isn't running, you'll get a 31 (no rpm signal) anyway, so must have engine running...
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 July 2006, 16:59:09 »

bernie 400
Check it by starting engine and doing paperclip test (see FAQ). If engine isn't running, you'll get a 31 (no rpm signal) anyway, so must have engine running...

Not necessarily my car the paperclip test only works with the ignition turned so the dash lights are on, I tried it with the engine on and it didn't work. I guess it depends on year of the car.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 July 2006, 17:04:15 »

You have to remember that the fuel pump doesnt run unless the engine is cranking and hence why the V6 tends to take a little longer to start.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 July 2006, 17:08:34 »

Not necessarily my car the paperclip test only works with the ignition turned so the dash lights are on, I tried it with the engine on and it didn't work. I guess it depends on year of the car.
Is yours a 4 pot? v6 works with engine on :)
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 July 2006, 17:14:11 »

Is yours a 4 pot? v6 works with engine on :)

Yeah that will be why then apologies for duff info, still learning something new each day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.