Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wife wants a 7 seater  (Read 3310 times)

Black cxd v6

• Germany
    • View Profile
Wife wants a 7 seater
« on: 06 July 2009, 21:50:21 »

Wife wants a 7 seater. Looking to spend 3 to 4k but not too old any suggestions?
And she wants and auto

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Wife wants a 7 seater
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2009, 21:56:58 »

Been there done that

Tried a Focus Cmax...good car, shite engines
Tried a Citroen - feel like there gonna fall apart, about as ergonomic as chicken vindaloo
Ford Galaxy, Vw Sharon and Seat Alhambra are all basicaly the same, trouble is they are a van with extra seats.....and feel like on. The Ford aain has shite engines
Mitsubishi Grandis - Pretty good, just dont look at the running costs!

I got a Zafira - good all round but lack room in the boot if using all 7 seats (as most do)...other wise fine

Monza

• Bungay, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2009, 22:19:20 »

Had a Zafira 2.2,not bad, but to be honest, I have the same if not more space in mt Mig and the driving position is far better. I have not driven an MPV that I like the driving position in. Have you looked at a V90 or V70 with a seven seat conversion, I know they are in the boot, but it depends on how often you need the other two seats. From a saftey point of view I would not want to use the rear two seats in any MPV anyway, just to close to the rear for an impactQ 8-) 
Past Drives: 16 Monzas, 1 x VW W8 4motion, 1 lotus Carlton, 1 Carlton GSI, 1 Omega Evolution, 1 Vectra 2.5V6, 2 Omega MV6s, 4 Cavaliers plus 131 others over the years!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2009, 22:29:49 »

Had a Zafira 2.2,not bad, but to be honest, I have the same if not more space in mt Mig and the driving position is far better. I have not driven an MPV that I like the driving position in. Have you looked at a V90 or V70 with a seven seat conversion, I know they are in the boot, but it depends on how often you need the other two seats. From a saftey point of view I would not want to use the rear two seats in any MPV anyway, just to close to the rear for an impactQ 8-) 

Have you ever seen any of the safety/test videos of where crash-test-dummies are sat rearward facing in the boot area of an estate? I wouldn't want any of my kids (not that they'd fit anymore) sat in them! :o

Gareth Lewis

• Glossop, Derbyshire
  • eCommerce and Website Design & Implementation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2009, 23:33:06 »

Have you ever seen any of the safety/test videos of where crash-test-dummies are sat rearward facing in the boot area of an estate? I wouldn't want any of my kids (not that they'd fit anymore) sat in them! :o

... but the mother-in-law and wife is OK then?
[size=11]Website: www.online-selling.co.uk
Successful Website Solutions
eCommerce and Website Design, Management & Implementation[/b]
[/size]

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2009, 23:33:41 »

Stick a couple of seats in the boot of your Omega  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2009, 00:10:42 »

SEVEN seats? My my, we have been busy. :-)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2009, 00:49:08 »

Been there done that

Tried a Citroen - feel like there gonna fall apart, about as ergonomic as chicken vindalooFord Galaxy, Vw Sharon and Seat Alhambra are all basicaly the same, trouble is they are a van with extra seats.....and feel like on. The Ford aain has shite engines

I got a Zafira - good all round but lack room in the boot if using all 7 seats (as most do)...other wise fine

Far far better than the Zafira, gets bonus points for not being a Vauxhall, as they are still in business.. :P :P :P

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2009, 08:18:18 »

Been there done that

Tried a Citroen - feel like there gonna fall apart, about as ergonomic as chicken vindalooFord Galaxy, Vw Sharon and Seat Alhambra are all basicaly the same, trouble is they are a van with extra seats.....and feel like on. The Ford aain has shite engines

Far far better than the Zafira, gets bonus points for not being a Vauxhall, as they are still in business.. :P :P :P

Got to be honest, the Citroen was the worst of the lot and not something I could have faced driving 100 mile a day in. The diesel lump was pretty poor to.

And this was about the first time I have ever been out a tried so many different manufacturers!

Black cxd v6

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2009, 18:53:45 »

She has scene a Kia Sedona. The 2.9 diesel auto, Looks bigger but Van like. Anyone drove or had one?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2009, 19:11:05 »

I had a Citroen Picasso thing in France a couple of years back. Went OK, no hassles going a 300+m trip to Verona, then same back again a couple of days later. 2.0HDi, wasn't going to win any races, but far quicker than the family hatchbacks who fancied their chances. Build quality was OK - this was a hire car, and fully in one piece.  Definately not the 'cleverest' MPV made though, not by a long shot.  Trouble with it, shared by Renault scenic, zafira, c-max and so on, they are just too small to make it worthwhile imho.

Galaxy isn't bad, big enough to carry off the MPV thing, like the 'real' one, the Espace.  As MDTM said though, Ford do make some crap engines though.

Grumpy old man

Mack

• North Wiltshire
    • Audi A6 Le Mans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2009, 20:16:41 »

We've got a Zafira - looked at Touran's etc. but was most impressed with the Zafira. Would avoid a 1.6 as too slow, but diesels and 1.8 up are good. The rear seats are OK for big people for short journeys, just don't expect to carry anything when 7up - need a big MPV for that. It even goes around corners OK....

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2009, 10:46:22 »

toyota previa, chrysler grand voyager?
I get a real sence of horror at the mention of anything french esp Renault or citroen, but have noticed some unlikely drivers "cracking on" boy racer style in a picasso, quite often with blue rinse. They do seem to shift. No excuse for owning one though.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2009, 00:42:01 »

toyota previa, chrysler grand voyager?
I get a real sence of horror at the mention of anything french esp Renault or citroen, but have noticed some unlikely drivers "cracking on" boy racer style in a picasso, quite often with blue rinse. They do seem to shift. No excuse for owning one though.

Mine is semi auto and and can crack on, now that I have learned how to get the best of it, only had it 2 years........ :-[ :-[ :-[

nick v6

• Omega Baron
  • walsall / west midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2009, 10:19:45 »

i had a renault espace
there good cars with plenty of room
they do a grand espace which has a bigger boot boot all seats move around so you can get an even bigger boot space if needed
just need to tax the tank now:)

omegaman2

• Omega Knight
  • Kilsyth, Glasgow G65
  • cruise , tints, shinbuster,advanced drinking test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2009, 12:00:51 »

what abaout a kia carens
remainder of 7 year warrenty
diesel engine
7 seats
chaep to buy
dieseldonicely

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2009, 12:34:32 »

borowed a mates kia sedona last year for a week.
must admit i was pretty impressed with it  :y

big enough for a party in there and plenty of toys to play with too  :y

pretty nippy for its size and not too bad on the diesel  but don't expect to rally it or chase people down b roads  :y

it was a manual though so not sure about the auto.

he has had it 3 years now and has never had to get his hands dirty with it  :y

at the end of the day, do you need 7 seats some or all of the time ?

Vmax

• Waterlooville, Hampshire.
  • Missing life on two wheels :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2009, 14:34:14 »

My colleague has a 1.9 diesel Galaxy - 190,000 trouble free miles!  :y
Keep Calm And Carry On.......

bigboykarl

• barnsley/london.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2009, 16:42:13 »

My colleague has a 1.9 diesel Galaxy - 190,000 trouble free miles!  :y
wouldn't have been auto as the 5 speed box in galaxy diesels is incredibly weak.....
i've owned a p reg toyota previa auto,a m reg lucida diesel auto,a c8 04 plate manual,a y reg 2.3 galaxy auto....plus we used to have 36 diesel auto old shape galaxy's ,then 24 new shape manual galaxy's at the company i worked at.....
i've also had a kia sedona 2.9 manual td
and a petrol 1.8 manual zafira but both only for two weeks

best car was galaxy closely followed by 2.4 previa although both are quite juicy...sedona's engine is slow and tractor like
iin manual so auto must be snail like...zafira was good but not really big enough,lucida very slow,c8 was ok good mpg but plasticy inside and broke down 3 times in 12 months and 15k/18k miles...
so galaxy's would be my choice...all our 5 speed auto's diesel's had a g box failure around 100k miles so be careful...i still own a y plate 4 speed auto galaxy (although she aint getting used now as i have a lpg mig and wife has a little auto corsa) the gearbox failed about 130k but i was lucky enough to get one out of a cat b with 54k on the clock....is mpg is a problem? if so get a 2.3 facelift like mine  for 2/3k and have it lpg'd

« Last Edit: 09 July 2009, 16:43:38 by bigboykarl »

NiallyV6CDX

• Intermediate Member
  • County Down
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2009, 17:32:54 »

What about the Ford Galaxy 2.8 ghia auto. Has the VW VR6 engine in it, so shifts, and probably more reliable than the 2.0/2.3 ford engined versions.
Thirsty though, but lots about so probably cheap too.

belldarr

« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2009, 18:35:29 »

What about the Ford Galaxy 2.8 ghia auto. Has the VW VR6 engine in it, so shifts, and probably more reliable than the 2.0/2.3 ford engined versions.
Thirsty though, but lots about so probably cheap too.

We bought a Ford Galaxy 4 years ago and can't fault it - its the V6 engine, Auto box and even has 4 wheel drive - but it's such a great car to have if you have kids, our 3 are all seated out of striking distance of each other in proper seats (not wafer thin things that you pull out the floor).

We even have child seats in ours that are intergrated into the proper seats which is really handy.

We also got a roof box for when we go away so that everything can be thrown into that (bikes and scooters even!) and leaves the cabin clear.  Or we can have all the kids in the middle row of seats and a clip-in load cover like a standard estate car, they are really good and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend one to anyone, just get the highest spec one you can, there are loads out there.

Only downsize is that the Galaxy Owners Forum is nowhere near as good as this one......   :y

Darren

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2009, 19:17:18 »

Been there done that

No way, citroen picasso's are awful imo my brother-in law has just got rid of one it was horrible, he just got a Zafira which I quite like actually  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2009, 23:41:41 »

Been there done that

No way, citroen picasso's are awful imo my brother-in law has just got rid of one it was horrible, he just got a Zafira which I quite like actually  :y

Comfy, spacious, 7 seats, quite quick, quirky and good on fuel, will do for me thank you :y  Each to their own of course. ;D

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2009, 23:55:26 »

i have just sold a toyota landcruiser 4.5 8 seater bit heavy on petrol very roomy and good motor go for one fitted with lpg  i loved mine best motor i have ever owned .apart from my miggy!big car my wife drove it .she loved it. :y

NiallyV6CDX

• Intermediate Member
  • County Down
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 July 2009, 00:00:18 »

Been there done that

Comfy, spacious, 7 seats, quite quick, quirky and good on fuel, will do for me thank you :y  Each to their own of course. ;D

Since when has the picasso been a 7 seater? :-?
Or are you talking the new (2007 on-) grand picasso or whatever they call it?

NiallyV6CDX

• Intermediate Member
  • County Down
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 July 2009, 00:02:57 »

Still think the Galaxy is the way to go, although the Seat Alhambra has the VW 1.8T engine in it which is also quite good.

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 10 July 2009, 00:09:00 »

Been there done that

Quirky?...have been driven in one, what on earth possessed you? Really trying hard to think of a more repulsive piece of modern design. Really is nauseous.... But as you say, each to their own. :-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2009, 09:54:55 »

Like most Citroens, the Picasso is either pretty reliable, or a dog.  I know a few people who have various models, and some are back at dealer several times a year, others have been ridiculously reliable.

Seems the 'quirky' dash seems to be unreliable.

Not a car I'd have (or is any MPV for that matter), but the hire one I had in France - aka the Battlebus - was a decent enough motor that went pretty well for what it was, and didn't mind taking some large in the twisties (left my mate in a petrol saloon for dust in the bends ::))
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.