Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: What car should I buy?  (Read 26141 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: What car should I buy?
« Reply #90 on: 25 October 2018, 21:32:09 »

So do I. I feel sorry for youngsters who have never experienced driving quickly in a rwd car.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 25 October 2018, 21:35:49 »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810221727162?fuel-type=Petrol&model=5%20SERIES&make=BMW&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2006&radius=1500&postcode=tw89de&price-to=2000&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&transmission=Automatic&page=1

4.4 V8 with RWD for grand, that's my kinda banger.
You will spend your entire life trying to find where all the fluids are escaping from.  Actually, as you say you don't have time to maintain cars (and that 4.4 lump needs lovin'), you'll be paying someone a fortune keeping that going.

I’d rather spend time tinkering with that, while getting to enjoy a V8.

Where is the fun in tinkering to keep an Astra, no fun for the work.

Tinckering with an Astra G isn't fun, it's easy. Tinckering with an Omega isn't fun it's a necessity.

Both my Astra G's are really ordinary but with light mods when things wear out have got better with age and miles. Full Eibach/Bilstein suspension with new GM sport front mounts and the front end is really tight and pointy, not really go kart but pretty sharp for a family hatch. Remapped 1.7CDTi gives real world 63+ MPG and the same sort of pull as a new Skoda Octavia VRS - just ask the poor sod who tried to out drag me uphill on a dual carriageway last Summer when he saw a slightly battered old Astra and assumed it was a slow smoky pile of s!!!e. It's only the longer gearing that eventually got him past after nearly a mile of trying really hard. Total with the mods still less than a grand. That's where the fun comes.

Petrol is less congested under the bonnet than diesel so easier to work on, 2 litre turbo is pretty rapid and can be made to handle well and is off the "notice me" radar.

Normal 1.4 or 1.6 petrol dead easy to work on, simple and once sorted is reliable. Most will not have been looked after properly but that's right up Terry's street so should be fine.

RWD is much more fun to drive, even better with a howling engine for a soundtrack, sadly it's a long way from what most people want. Have found though that you can still do doughnuts in an Astra G with deft use of the handbrake, a wet surface and crap tyres.

« Last Edit: 25 October 2018, 21:41:08 by ajsphead »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 25 October 2018, 22:14:38 »

So do I. I feel sorry for youngsters who have never experienced driving quickly in a rwd car.

Yes they will never know the delight of a Morris Marina 1800TC Coupe!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 25 October 2018, 23:51:06 »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810221727162?fuel-type=Petrol&model=5%20SERIES&make=BMW&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2006&radius=1500&postcode=tw89de&price-to=2000&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&transmission=Automatic&page=1

You will spend your entire life trying to find where all the fluids are escaping from.  Actually, as you say you don't have time to maintain cars (and that 4.4 lump needs lovin'), you'll be paying someone a fortune keeping that going.

That's the point, an Astra(or similar) doesn't need any tinkering! It's the 'premium' German stuff that has to be fettled all the time and is therefore a poor choice for those who don't have the time/money to keep them.

Nor can I understand all the fuss about V8s, especially European ones.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 26 October 2018, 00:46:32 »

He did say driving quickly. What's to miss about having your @rse chewing through the driver's seat while trying to grapple with the prehistoric suspension??
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

2boxerdogs

« Reply #95 on: 26 October 2018, 05:27:26 »

He did say driving quickly. What's to miss about having your @rse chewing through the driver's seat while trying to grapple with the prehistoric suspension??

Very true, as I mentioned on here a few weeks back a friend took me for a spin in his 1974 MGB GT V8 looks & sounds terrific but I have to admit I felt extremely vunerable in it, made me appreciate how much cars have improved.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #96 on: 26 October 2018, 05:38:16 »

That's the point, an Astra(or similar) doesn't need any tinkering! It's the 'premium' German stuff that has to be fettled all the time and is therefore a poor choice for those who don't have the time/money to keep them.

Would never "tinker" with my V8 wash & polish it yes & enjoy the sound and experience of simply driving it, and has not needed any "fettling" at all.😎

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 26 October 2018, 09:33:01 »

Would never "tinker" with my V8 wash & polish it yes & enjoy the sound and experience of simply driving it, and has not needed any "fettling" at all.😎

How much was yours? Although know yours was in excellent condition.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 26 October 2018, 10:50:54 »

Which engines are best, or to be avoided? Most petrol Astras seem to be 1.6, but some are 1.4 and some 2.2. Diesels can be 1.4 or 1.6. And what does 'twinport' mean?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 26 October 2018, 12:18:22 »

Petrol-astra g (mk 4)
 1.4 16v X14XE produced 88 bhp (66 kW; 89 PS).lower tax  :-\  mum has one  :y
 1.6 8v X16SZR produced 75 hp, Mrs builder has one great simple engine  :y
 later the 8v Z16SE produced 85 hp older brother has one  :y
The 1.6 16v Produced 101 bhp (75 kW; 102 PS),
 later the 1.6 Twinport Z16XEP produced 105 bhp

Twinport = updated version of the Family 0 engine and features TwinPort technology – twin intake ports with a choke closing one of the ports at low RPM, providing strong air swirl pattern for higher torque levels and better fuel economy.

1.8 X18XE1 produced 115 bhp,
 later Z18XE 125 bhp (93 kW; 127 PS).
 2.0 X20XEV produced 134 bhp.
 2.2 Z22SE produced 147 bhp (110 kW; 149 PS). Avoid  :(
2.0 Turbocharged produced 189 bhp (141 kW; 192 PS)
 SRI Turbo and 197 bhp
 1.7 DTi producing 75 bhp (56 kW; 76 PS).
 1.7 CDTi producing 80 bhp (60 kW; 81 PS).
 2.0 DTL 16v producing 85 bhp
 2.0 DTi Y20DTH producing 100 bhp (one in the zafira a :y )

astra h (mk 5) petrol
 1.4 90 bhp,twinport (brother's wife has one in corsa ,nippy economy  :y)
 1.6 105 bhp or 115 bhp,
1.8 140 bhp,
1.6 Turbo and 2.0 litre Turbo (VXR).
Diesel Models  1.3 90 bhp,
 1.7 with either 80 or 100 bhp (other brother has one  :y)
  1.9 with either 120 or 150 bhp.( DG says avoid because of chocolate gearbox  :()
« Last Edit: 26 October 2018, 12:20:59 by dave the builder »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #100 on: 26 October 2018, 12:39:26 »

Was priced at £5995 got it down to £5250 sold the mig to a member on here for £750 so it stands me £4500 .

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 26 October 2018, 13:09:03 »

Was priced at £5995 got it down to £5250 sold the mig to a member on here for £750 so it stands me £4500 .

Not bad for V8 barge, my kinda money if I was going to scratch the V8 ich.  :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 26 October 2018, 16:56:27 »

Low mile 37,500 ,11 months MOT 1.6 club red astra G 53 plate
£745 clicky
in V̶a̶u̶x̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶i̶n̶k̶ RED , probably want tyres looking at the mot (old)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 26 October 2018, 17:13:38 »

Low mile 37,500 ,11 months MOT 1.6 club red astra G 53 plate
£745 clicky
in V̶a̶u̶x̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶i̶n̶k̶ RED , probably want tyres looking at the mot (old)
Thanks Dave. Now that the wife has stopped driving it's a bit far away for me. Tomorow I shall look at 2 Astras, one auction and one classified ad. There are lots about, aren't there?

STEMO

« Reply #104 on: 26 October 2018, 17:23:54 »

I had the G,H,J and wifey now has the K. The only problem we had was the well known clutch judder on the H, due to the crap dual mass flywheel. If you're worried about reliability and longevity, look how many are still on the road. Parts are readily available and, even if you don't want to get your hands dirty, they are relatively cheap for a local garage to repair.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.