Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Telly Troubles  (Read 3356 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Telly Troubles
« on: 31 December 2018, 17:05:27 »

My TV setup is as basic as it comes. Freeview via a normal TV aerial.  :y

However recently the picture has become pixelated and the further down the channel list I go the worse it gets.  Generally, BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4, C5 are OK, but the rest get progressively worse so they become unwatchable.

I noticed the other day that one of the prongs of the big flat bottom aerial was touching the roof, so this afternoon I've been up the ladder and lifted it a bit so that it is now clear.  It made no difference to the picture, so I re-tuned the telly and now I can only watch BBC1 and BBC2!  ::)  Bollix!  >:(

I have a strong signal but the signal quality is not good apart from BBC1 and BBC2.  I had this problem a few years ago and added a couple of attenuators to reduce the signal and that worked.  :y  Do attenuators wear out?  :-\  :D

Any ideas chaps?  ???  I refuse to sign up to Sky and the like.  ;)  TIA!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Telly Troubles
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2018, 17:07:48 »

My TV setup is as basic as it comes. Freeview via a normal TV aerial.  :y ....

Likewise  :y

Sorry can't help though. What about your near neighbours? Do they have the same problem?

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2018, 17:13:07 »

My TV setup is as basic as it comes. Freeview via a normal TV aerial.  :y

However recently the picture has become pixelated and the further down the channel list I go the worse it gets.  Generally, BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4, C5 are OK, but the rest get progressively worse so they become unwatchable.

I noticed the other day that one of the prongs of the big flat bottom aerial was touching the roof, so this afternoon I've been up the ladder and lifted it a bit so that it is now clear.  It made no difference to the picture, so I re-tuned the telly and now I can only watch BBC1 and BBC2!  ::)  Bollix!  >:(

I have a strong signal but the signal quality is not good apart from BBC1 and BBC2.  I had this problem a few years ago and added a couple of attenuators to reduce the signal and that worked.  :y  Do attenuators wear out?  :-\  :D

Any ideas chaps?  ???  I refuse to sign up to Sky and the like.  ;)  TIA!  :y
Some good deals about for new customers on Sky, and Tunnie might have a code.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2018, 17:15:13 »

I wouldn't worry about it. Theres far call on TV worth watching anyway.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2018, 17:54:08 »

Did you upgrade your ariel  to a digital when the change over happened?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2018, 18:30:01 »

Did you upgrade your ariel  to a digital when the change over happened?

There's no difference to the actual aerial regardless of the type of signal, despite what the marketing folk might claim. There has been a continuous process of re-tuning transmitters to clear spectrum since the system went digital, however, and this is still ongoing, so, if the aerial is old, it may well no longer be of the correct spec. for the transmitter you are receiving.

Another thing to check is your downlead. These can get damp inside and become quite lossy.

However, if the TV reports a good signal strength but poor quality, chances are that it's multipath or interference that's the problem. Make sure the reflector on the rear of the antenna is still intact so it rejects local reflections and that it's accurately aligned with the local transmitter. If you have had to put attenuators in the path before, try removing them, and, of course, if the signal is this strong, any booster amps will be doing more harm than good.

Get rid of any splitters / combiners, etc. and simplify to an aerial attached directly to one TV if you can. See how that behaves first.

To answer your question, attenuators are just a couple of resistors in a tube, so they are normally reliable but they add a couple of extra connections and any connector in the system has the potential to become dodgy!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2018, 18:31:15 »

Fit one of these clicky
fitted lots and have one myself
available off ebay much cheaper ,if your a gambling man in no rush  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2018, 18:43:34 »

Fit one of these clicky

The problem with aerials sold by DIY sheds is that they are all "one size fits all" wideband antennas as they CBA to stock a decent selection of antenna groups. I would actively avoid anything wideband these days as the potential for interference from 4G telecomms stuff if the antenna has gain outside the frequency range of interest is huge.

The best thing to do is to find out what transmitter you are receiving from, get an antenna that's well matched to it and you'll end up with something more visually appealing tht performs better and probably for less money.

TBH, if you can find an antenna guy locally who knows his onions, it's probably not work messing about yourself.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2018, 18:49:16 »

The aerial on our roof is rusty, sits at a very sad looking angle and has a few of the fins missing. Result: A perfect picture on all channels   ;D

Life isn't fair, is it?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2018, 18:58:43 »

The aerial on our roof is rusty, sits at a very sad looking angle and has a few of the fins missing. Result: A perfect picture on all 5 channels   ;D

Life isn't fair, is it?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2018, 19:08:07 »

Fit one of these clicky

The problem with aerials sold by DIY sheds is that they are all "one size fits all" wideband antennas as they CBA to stock a decent selection of antenna groups. I would actively avoid anything wideband these days as the potential for interference from 4G telecomms stuff if the antenna has gain outside the frequency range of interest is huge.

The best thing to do is to find out what transmitter you are receiving from, get an antenna that's well matched to it and you'll end up with something more visually appealing tht performs better and probably for less money.

TBH, if you can find an antenna guy locally who knows his onions, it's probably not work messing about yourself.
never had a problem with 4G interference (that i know of   :-\ ) with any of the ones i fitted , you can buy 4G blocker plugs ,newer splitters etc have it built in IIRC

I have one of those labgear ones serve a pub/B&B with 10+ tv sets (with powered distribution  splitter etc )

I agree that old cable and connections can be damp/corroded causing issues ,all cheap and best replaced

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2018, 19:31:34 »

The aerial on our roof is rusty, sits at a very sad looking angle and has a few of the fins missing. Result: A perfect picture on all 5 channels   ;D

Life isn't fair, is it?
Err.....no. All freeview channels are fine too. But, of course, I always have the sky box on.  :P

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2018, 19:38:44 »

The Five so called National Channels, BBC1, 2, ITV, 4 and 5 are (or were) in most Cases on Higher Power and bigger Bandwidth over the rest of Freeview Channels, so its definitely a deterioration of TV Signal causing your issues, and will probably get worse before it gets better

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2018, 23:40:36 »

Read the title wrong.

Thought it was about those colourful childrens tv characters with tellys where there belly button should be.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2018, 23:52:13 »

Well to a certain extent after it's been switched off for a while its sorted itself out and I now have more channels than not.  :y

After a bit of research I have discovered that our TV channels are broadcast in groups called multiplex's and each multiplex has it's own frequency. Zirk is right that the multiplex's that carry the main channels like BBC1, ITV etc are broadcast at a higher power than the other channels.  In my case there are 2 multiplex's that are at 50000 watts and 3 at 25000 watts, broadcast from the Stockland Hill transmitter in East Devon, about 8 miles as the crow flies.

I have a good picture on the 2 multiplex's on the higher power, and most of the channels on one of the lower power multiplex's are OK.  The rest are shite.  ::)

There is a strong signal on all channels, but where there is a bad picture the quality of the signal is bad.  So I need to work out why that is...  :-\  ::)

Thanks for all the answers and advice!  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.