Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Music . . . . . anything about it really  (Read 9604 times)

STEMO

Re: Music . . . . . anything about it really
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2017, 16:31:46 »

Ginger Baker’s drum solo on ‘Do what you like’ on the Blind Faith album was pretty lively.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2017, 16:58:45 »

How true that is, as then it was the "trend" to be arty farty with camera work and many films and TV programmes were ruined by it, as is this film that cannot be repeated. :'( :'(

I am jealous Mr Rog as I never got to see Cream live and just wish I could have done! :'( :'(

;)

Just to rub it in   ::)    Support bands were all relatively unknown at the time, YES and Taste (with Rory Gallagher ) whilst Yes were never quite my thing, I became a dedicated Taste / Rory Gallagher follower.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 October 2017, 17:28:07 »

Just had a skim through this thread. I have songs by various groups that have great memories. For example Fleetwood Mac.

My boss had a Ginetta G15 ( with a breathed on 1000cc engine from memory) and we used to go out on business from leicester to Burton on Trent via the back roads with that belting out of the speakers. I thought it was fantastic as we were being paid too.

I couldn't afford to buy Arthur Brown's "Fire" so used to listen to it in music shop booths.

Saw loads of great groups live . Roxy Music three times. The first was just after they released Virginia Plain and the venue (Scarborough Penthouse) doubled their fee to I think £200 as they had been booked earlier and the gig was postponed. That would be 1972.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2017, 17:29:21 »

Ginger Baker’s drum solo on ‘Do what you like’ on the Blind Faith album was pretty lively.

Had that album too, and it was 8) 8) 8) :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2017, 17:32:20 »

Just had a skim through this thread. I have songs by various groups that have great memories. For example Fleetwood Mac.

My boss had a Ginetta G15 ( with a breathed on 1000cc engine from memory) and we used to go out on business from leicester to Burton on Trent via the back roads with that belting out of the speakers. I thought it was fantastic as we were being paid too.

I couldn't afford to buy Arthur Brown's "Fire" so used to listen to it in music shop booths.

Saw loads of great groups live . Roxy Music three times. The first was just after they released Virginia Plain and the venue (Scarborough Penthouse) doubled their fee to I think £200 as they had been booked earlier and the gig was postponed. That would be 1972.

Yes, 1968 and one of my purchases as everyone was playing it, and his Top Of The Pops performance impressed us youngsters!  Loved it when he set himself on fire; what an act! ;D ;D ;D ;)

My original purchase is still in my Singles collection, along with so many others you mention like Fleetwood Mac with Albatross 8) 8) ;)
« Last Edit: 04 October 2017, 17:34:28 by Lizzie Zoom »

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2017, 17:33:14 »

Nice one Mister Rog,

I grew up listening to Deep Purple, Rainbow and Whitesnake courtesy of my parents and now I listen to mainly Metal and American punk with the likes of Rise Against, Less Than Jake, Against Me, H2O and many many more and the metal stuff goes from Judas Priest right thought to new bands like, Like A Storm and with a few oddities thrown in like Hollywood Undead.

One of my favourite bands though is Volbeat from Denmark, and I have seen them twice now over there, here is a classic by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mV_HHL-h6g

You will probably like it  :y

Great stuff  :y              That drumming is impressive !

I've seen Volbeat but not in a small venue, just festivals, so not as good

I`ve seen them about 7 times now and they just get better, they blew Alterbridge  away last year when we saw them at Leeds Arena  ;)

Here`s one for you to practice Rog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoIw63sQ204

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2017, 14:34:34 »

Drummers such as Ian Paice, John Bonham and Keith Moon were superb drummers, but Ginger Baker was in a different league altogether.
He wasn't just a drummer, he was a musician from a jazz background who composed intricate and complex musical pieces for percussion.
I would recommend a film about him called Beware of Mr. Baker, which demonstrates that he is as mad as a box of frogs, but an incredible drummer.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 October 2017, 15:38:03 »

I grew up in a very religious family.We had no TV or radio when I was a kid, but my Dad loved music and we would sit around listening to Johhny Cash and Hank Williams while others were watching TV.
When I was about 9 years old (68/69) the family joined a noisy, happy clappy Pentecostal church, which had electric guitars, drums and a Hammond organ.
I found all this very exciting and started nagging my parents for a guitar. They were piss poor and couldn't afford one, so an uncle gave me his old guitar for Christmas 1969. My Dad got a guy from the church to teach me how to tune it, and three chords, D G and A.
This was my one and only music lesson.
I then started trying to play along with Dads music tapes and after about a year, proudly played my rendition of Walk the line, by Johnny Cash.
Once I got to the teenage years, I gave up on the church thing, and started watching TOTP  on our newly acquired TV, so then started trying to copy people like Marc Bolan and Slade.
Not long after a friend of my older sister ( who I later got friendly with) by the name of George Lowden** loaned her a pile of albums.
My sister was more interested in walking around with some of them under her arm, than actually listening to them, but when she wasn't around I was listening to them constantly.
There was BB King, Fletwood Mac, Claptons first solo album, and most importantly, Disreali Gears by cream. I fell in love with this music called The Blues, although I didn't even know it was called that at the time, but it touched something deep inside in a way I never knew was possible.
I knew these sounds I heard were being made by a guitar, but I couldn't imagine how a guitar could be made to sound like that.
I had to try and find out though, so I talked the parents into buying me an electric guitar and amplifier, if I got a paper round to pay the HP payments.The guitar was nothing special (Watkins Rapier 44) but had a better neck than any Fender or Gibson Ive played since. The amplifier was a Vox AC30, which I later learned was used by the Beatles, Hank Marvin, and my soon to be hero, hero Rory Gallagher.
When the parents weren't at home, the volume control was always at maximum - in 3bed council house ?
No wonder the neighbours hated me, and my hearing is shot. ::)
Around this time I went to my first proper gig. Some bloke called Rory Gallagher at the Ulster hall in Belfast. I found it strange that there were several TV cameras or similar there and a lot of recording equipment, but it turned out that a film and album was being recorded called Irish Tour 74. I saw him another 6 or 7 times in the next few years and they were the best gigs Ive ever been to.
Anyway, this experience was mind blowing to me at 14 and I became completely obsessed with listening to and playing blues and rock music.
I had no interest in school or career plans. I was going to play guitar - end of.
I was very taken with Gallaghers old battered sunburst Stratocaster, and eventually got my self a lovely sunburst version and improved my skills further, even playing lead guitar in a couple of little bands that quickly fell apart.
Then just as my teens were coming to an end, I had some kind of inexplicable brainstorm. Had my (very long) hair cut, sold my guitar for next to nothing, dumped my girlfriend of 3 years and moved to England, where I had almost no interest in anything but cars and motorbikes, and soon after marriage, kids, normal job and domesticity.
A visit to Belfast and some old friends about 10 years ago kicked off a minor mid life crisis. Someone put a guitar in my hands (after a few beers) and I started playing again. I was embarrassed to hear afterwards that this mate had told everyone, before I arrived that I was an awesome guitarist who could have played in any band in the world, if I hadn't given it up.  :-[ ;D
Anyway, I now listen to and occasionally even play music again, and regret all the years I didn't.
John Miles puts it better than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAsvjVx-Mg4

**George Lowden was always banging on about how he wanted to make guitars for a living, which I thought pretty bizarre.
Not long after I got to know him he packed in his job as a sales rep and announced he was to become a guitar maker, even though he didn't really know where to start.
He persevered though and it worked out pretty well for him. His cheapest model is now around £3000 !
He was always a big Clapton fan, and I had to smile when I heard that Clapton had used one of his guitars on a couple of acoustic tracks on one of his albums about 10 years ago.
http://www.lowdenguitars.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu50cXnXiM

Well, theres 10 minutes of your life you will never get back.  :-[ ;D

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2017, 15:52:26 »

That's certainly growing up with music Migv6!  What an experience 8) 8) 8) :y :y :y

You mention Eric Clapton, and since his Cream days I have followed his music.  I always say that he is the greatest blues guitarist we have, and ever had :-* :-* ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 October 2017, 17:40:45 »

Ive been a fan of his since those days of borrowing thealbums when my sister wasn't home. He has had his ups and downs musically due to heroin addiction and rivalling Gorge Best for title of worlds worst alcoholic, but when he plays the blues as though his life depended on it, there is no better sound on gods earth.
Ive seen him live several times, the last time when he and Jeff Beck played the O2 together about 8 years ago.
Hes still playing well considering hes now 72 years old, but has serious nerve damage in his legs/ back / arms afaik, so he is talking about packing it in.
Personally, I think he needs to do it like he needs to breathe, and wont stop until he cant pick up a guitar.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 October 2017, 18:25:09 »

What I listen to at any given time depends on my mood of the moment,but I do find that the sort of music I'm listening to when driving alters my driving style depending on what it is.E.G. If I've got Mozart on I'm very chilled out and relaxed,whereas something more "rock'n'roll"brings something more "press on".

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 October 2017, 18:28:47 »

Ive been a fan of his since those days of borrowing thealbums when my sister wasn't home. He has had his ups and downs musically due to heroin addiction and rivalling Gorge Best for title of worlds worst alcoholic, but when he plays the blues as though his life depended on it, there is no better sound on gods earth.
Ive seen him live several times, the last time when he and Jeff Beck played the O2 together about 8 years ago.
Hes still playing well considering hes now 72 years old, but has serious nerve damage in his legs/ back / arms afaik, so he is talking about packing it in.
Personally, I think he needs to do it like he needs to breathe, and wont stop until he cant pick up a guitar.

It is his way of really talking; in his blues communication is something very, very special :-* :-* 8) 8) 8)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 October 2017, 18:57:31 »

They said he was burnt out in the 70,s. This 1996.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIU7GZ_yLhI

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 05 October 2017, 19:14:01 »

Good grief. Would you shag him, Albs?  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 October 2017, 19:22:15 »

Good grief. Would you shag him, Albs?  ;D
If it weren't for his back and knees, probably  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.