Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Partition editor  (Read 3784 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Partition editor
« on: 03 November 2019, 19:13:27 »

I need to move unallocated space on my laptop D drive to allow me to extend my c drive. Can anyone recommend a good freeware partition editor?  :y

aaronjb

Re: Partition editor
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2019, 08:06:14 »

I need to move unallocated space on my laptop D drive to allow me to extend my c drive. Can anyone recommend a good freeware partition editor?  :y

For which OS? (IIRC you were trialling Linux recently - gparted should work just fine there and it's installed by default in most distros)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2019, 16:21:33 »

For which OS? (IIRC you were trialling Linux recently - gparted should work just fine there and it's installed by default in most distros)
Sorry, i omitted it is Win7 :y
Not got around to using Linux properly, just to extract files from non-booting PC to my limited space laptop. I have extra space on the laptop D drive which was FAT 32 & converted to NTFS, but i have to move its unallocated space before i can use it for the C drive. I hope that makes sense. :y
« Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 16:25:46 by Shackeng »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2019, 17:22:57 »

minitool parition wizard (free home user version) has managed to most of what I've ever needed .. :)

https://www.partitionwizard.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2019, 17:34:15 »

Windows can do it itself (certainly Pro, would need to check Home)

Back up D:
Delete D:
Extended C: from the inbuilt disk management tool
Recreate D if required (who is daft enough in this day and age to split a drive?)
Restore files
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2019, 19:01:01 »

Windows can do it itself (certainly Pro, would need to check Home)

Back up D:
Delete D:
Extended C: from the inbuilt disk management tool
Recreate D if required (who is daft enough in this day and age to split a drive?)
Restore files

The reason I have not tried this is that the D drive volume is ACERDATA. I have backed these files up externally however, so is it OK to put them in the C drive, then delete the D. :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2019, 19:11:24 »

Depends what the files are.  The volume name means nothing (though implies its the most unreliable brand out there) ;)
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2019, 22:42:03 »

Depends what the files are.  The volume name means nothing (though implies its the most unreliable brand out there) ;)

As they are on the D drive on their own, I assumed they are system files.  :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2019, 07:33:48 »

I bought this ACER Extensa 5220 years ago to use as a backup if my PC failed. Unfortunately it was only running XP. I have since upgraded it to 7 but it does not have the space on the C drive to cope with all the files I have ‘rescued’ from the dormant PC. Hence my efforts to utilise the 29gb of unused space on the D drive. I also need to increase the RAM as it only uses one of its 2 slots at 1Gb. Unfortunately it seems I can only double it to 2Gb.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2019, 18:13:58 »

As they are on the D drive on their own, I assumed they are system files.  :-\
Hard to say without some examples...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2019, 18:15:48 »

I bought this ACER Extensa 5220 years ago to use as a backup if my PC failed. Unfortunately it was only running XP. I have since upgraded it to 7 but it does not have the space on the C drive to cope with all the files I have ‘rescued’ from the dormant PC. Hence my efforts to utilise the 29gb of unused space on the D drive. I also need to increase the RAM as it only uses one of its 2 slots at 1Gb. Unfortunately it seems I can only double it to 2Gb.  :(
The laptop I am typing this on now only has 2Gb, runs Win10 Pro, old Core2 Duo CPU.  It handles day to day tasks fine, it struggles only with CPU intensive chores, such as websites laden with ads, such as egay.
Grumpy old man

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2019, 00:10:11 »

If it's running the 32 bit versions of WinXP or Win7 then upgrading to 2GB memory is probably cheap and worth it. No point in going above 4GB though - that's the theoretical maximum for 32 bit Windows, and in reality you probably can't use more than about 3GB because much of the memory above 3GB is reserved for system use - BIOS and graphics usually.

This laptop (DELL Vostro 1720 Core2 Duo running Win7Pro-32) has 4GB installed, but only 2.96GB is useable according to the control panel.

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2019, 07:56:46 »

The laptop I am typing this on now only has 2Gb, runs Win10 Pro, old Core2 Duo CPU.  It handles day to day tasks fine, it struggles only with CPU intensive chores, such as websites laden with ads, such as egay.

With such high specs as that, this sounds like it would be right up your street:
https://store.pine64.org/?product=14%E2%80%B3-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-ansi-us-keyboard-estimated-dispatch-in-december-2019&attribute_pa_power-supply=eu  :D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2019, 16:19:58 »

If it's running the 32 bit versions of WinXP or Win7 then upgrading to 2GB memory is probably cheap and worth it. No point in going above 4GB though - that's the theoretical maximum for 32 bit Windows, and in reality you probably can't use more than about 3GB because much of the memory above 3GB is reserved for system use - BIOS and graphics usually.

This laptop (DELL Vostro 1720 Core2 Duo running Win7Pro-32) has 4GB installed, but only 2.96GB is useable according to the control panel.

Win7 64 bit and just doubled RAM to 2gb.   :-X
« Last Edit: 06 November 2019, 16:22:25 by Shackeng »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2019, 17:29:08 »

Win7 64 bit and just doubled RAM to 2gb.   :-X
For 64bit, I would normally recommend more than 4Gb. 64bit is less efficient with memory than 32 bit.

General rule of thumb:
32bit - 2Gb-3.5Gb
64bit - > 6Gb

3.5 - 6Gb is no mans land really.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.