Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Three short weeks....  (Read 2573 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Three short weeks....
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2017, 10:40:01 »

Some courses are a 4yr bachelor + masters from the outset. Usually there is a minimum requirement to be admitted onto the 4th year (2:1 typically). Those students who arrive at the end of yr 3 with less than this threshold level are awarded their bachelors as normal, but not admitted onto yr 4.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2017, 11:14:19 »

Daughter went off to her final year a couple of weeks back, and I had to set up a standing order to give her £360 a month, as my drawings from my business a couple of years ago have affected the amount of grant she now gets  (Gone to Zero).

Then she phones up my wife about her broken laptop and my wife tells her we (i) will pay half for a new one.  For which I am expected to pay £425.

I calculate that as a week longer before I can retire.

And it gets worse when they say "Dad, I think I want to do a Masters !"

Just when you thought it was safe . . .  :(
My lad is doing a masters....four years  :(

I don’t understand that. I thought he was going to uni for the first time @ the age of 18, & thought a masters, as a post-graduate degree, was done after the initial bachelors degree. Can you go straight to a masters, or am I getting confused?
Don’t ask me, Robert, I know nothing of such things. All I know is that he’s doing a four year masters in maths.  :)

Lincs Robert

« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2017, 14:40:23 »

Some courses are a 4yr bachelor + masters from the outset. Usually there is a minimum requirement to be admitted onto the 4th year (2:1 typically). Those students who arrive at the end of yr 3 with less than this threshold level are awarded their bachelors as normal, but not admitted onto yr 4.

Got it - I think ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2017, 16:19:33 »

That's also sort of my understanding. But be aware that universities are run like a business, so if they can get a "customer" to do a Masters, then they get another year of fees. When my son was looking at universities, we did the rounds of visits, and quite a few applications were made. He was instantly accepted at a couple in Scotland, yes he is quite bright but the real reason is the fees they would earn that they can't get from Scottish students. (BTW: He ended up in Sheffield which was great in every respect)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2017, 19:13:11 »

Daughter went off to her final year a couple of weeks back, and I had to set up a standing order to give her £360 a month, as my drawings from my business a couple of years ago have affected the amount of grant she now gets  (Gone to Zero).

Then she phones up my wife about her broken laptop and my wife tells her we (i) will pay half for a new one.  For which I am expected to pay £425.

I calculate that as a week longer before I can retire.

And it gets worse when they say "Dad, I think I want to do a Masters !"

Just when you thought it was safe . . .  :(

Neighbour's daughter (at Oxford) is then going on from her Master's to a Phd! (His son is also at Oxford). :-X
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.