Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering Idler Arm removal - help please!  (Read 1676 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Steering Idler Arm removal - help please!
« on: 22 April 2007, 19:18:30 »

Well, the car is still on the axle stands :(

Yesterday, I made a start on the Steering Idler.  Got the nut undone fine, in spite of the lack of room.  The end that connects to the chassis come off no problem.  Can I get the ball joint end to come off?  No I can't.  I have followed the guide on here and just want to check that I am doing this right.

I have posted a pic or two.

Here is the bar to apply downward force (which is a stout screwdriver):

and here is where I am hammering, upwards:

I started with an ordinary hammer as I did not want to cause damage to the steering tie rods etc.  The joint has not even moved.  Hence the club hammer in the pics.  So, am I doing this right or am I way of track?  Any advice, comments etc. welcome.

Incidentally, I have three ball joint splitters, two of which are the tighten nut type and one is the hammer type.  None fit.  As a last resort, I may be forced to get a centre steering rod from Vaux, another idler for the drivers side and fit the whole lot.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Idler Arm removal - help please!
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2007, 20:00:37 »

As strange as it might sound; your breaker bar needs to be between the chassis and  the idler arm (not where you have it in your photo)  and keep hard downward pressure while you hit idler arm it with hammer (where you ARE showing it in your photo) , you might have to hit it several times and  joint should eventually come apart.
Cheers Pete

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2007, 20:26:12 »

My method is to rotate the idler so its in line with the centre tie bar....I then knock a wedge between it and tie barto apply some pressure adn using two hammers, simultaneously hit eitehr side of the idler arm at the stuck ball joint end with a slight upwards motion.....works every time for me......even when people have spent hours on them with no luck...

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2007, 21:45:13 »

You could try loosening the nut where the idler bolts to chassis mount replace the nut about 2 turns & hit the idler from below, don't go to mad it is only a taper fit, worked for me

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2007, 08:58:43 »

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated. ;)

Mark, if I understand correctly, I need to turn the steering gear to the right, wedge a block of wood between the idler and the centre tie rod and hammer both sides by the balljoint.......  Is this right?

Thanks again everyone
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2007, 09:04:21 »

Yes...thats correct....

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2007, 10:59:46 »

My method is to rotate the idler so its in line with the centre tie bar....I then knock a wedge between it and tie barto apply some pressure adn using two hammers, simultaneously hit eitehr side of the idler arm at the stuck ball joint end with a slight upwards motion.....works every time for me......even when people have spent hours on them with no luck...

The idea is that the the hammer blow momentarily distorts the tapered hole and releases the ball joint pin.
You only need one good strike so get every thing lined up, use a pair of hammers of (ideally) the same weight, practice the swing to make sure the hammers arn't going to snag on anything mid-flight and get the timing right using light taps then go for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.