Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CamShaft Sensor  (Read 2132 times)

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
Re: CamShaft Sensor
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2007, 15:54:18 »

Already have, hes coming tom morning and only charging £40 so hopefully will get to the bottom of it!
hopefully he will sort it no probs :y

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2007, 12:47:27 »

Well the Auto Tune guy has been and gone and heres the update!!!!

He checked the diagnostics and found that the throttle position sensor voltage was high/low (P0120) and Camshaft Sensor (P0340) were showing. He reset the system and checked again and only the Camshaft Sensor was listed, guess that was due to the fact that I had replaced the Throttle Sensor. On further inspection he found that there was no signal coming to the camshaft sensor so there is an electrical fault to it and his recomendations are get it to an electrician.

So still stuck with a oppsed motor and another £40 down the drain.

Im guessing the mechanic must have kinked some cabling and broke a wire somewhere.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2007, 14:51:13 »

The cam sensor does not receive a signal. It generates one. Did he check for a signal FROM the sensor while the engine is running? This can be done using an oscilloscope and will verify if the sensor is OK or not. If the sensor is OK it can only be a wiring issue between the sensor plug and the ECU.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2007, 15:10:14 »

BTW this is how the cam sensor should wire up to the ECU according to the diagram in Haynes:

Cam Sensor Pin      ECU Pin
1                               13
2                               31
3                               32

My next step would be to verify these connections using a multimeter on Ohms, I think.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2007, 17:03:31 »

He just tested the cables to the camsensor by using a tester that had a light on it that would turn green if ok. He never connected it to a machine.

Ive since been playing and traced the cables all the way back to the fuse box/ecu however Im not entirely sure how to test these. I have a multimeter although I dont have the instructions, but am more than capable if I had instructions.

Also to note that the autobox warning has now gone off the screen and sport mode will now engage and the revs sound much better.

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2007, 23:50:26 »

Ok another update. My Brother (whos a mechanic) who I dont get on with so good (due to his new partner lol) has just been round to borrow a set of ramps and while here had a quick look at my car.

He listened to it, switched it off, removed the timing cover and straight away said the timings out. Reconds its firing No2 cylinder first and is out by 2 teeth like the other mechanic said. He showed me the cogs and explained where they should be and there miles off. Theres no wonder the sensor is playing up as it cant read it properly lol

Hes too busy to sort it but hes going to ring a bloke he works with to see if he will come sort it, so no electrician (@ £30 per hour) needed just yet. Fingers crossed!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2007, 00:05:09 »

I guess this could be an explanation. If the cam sensor signal was not arriving at the ECU within the correct window due to the cam timing, it could raise a fault code I imagine.

Kevin

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2007, 13:00:54 »

Sounds like you better have the cambelt replaced.....as there must be a reason why it all of a sudden becomes 2 teeth out. Must need a new belt and tensioner IMHO.
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.