Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting my project car into little pieces  (Read 7323 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Cutting my project car into little pieces
« on: 21 August 2006, 23:56:00 »

Ok - I have a dilemma - i am a little uneasy with anyone coming to my house after having a car stolen elsewhere!

To uplify my rover when i am done striping it will involve getting the car picked up and taken to scrapper - similar to what i think happened to the VI.

i DONT want this sort of person at my own house and getting ideas re my other cars.

A good mate of mine has suggested theres an alternative....dispose of the whole car myself!! He does know hs car stuff.

He suggests compressor and air tools to cut bit by bit into sections and take the car and sell it as scrap metal at the scrapers myself - or cut it up using a welder.

I know whats left ( very little) is very thin metal but is this realistic - dont mind shelling out £100 - £200 for the equipment. Also dont mind if it takes an extra week or so to cut up in the garage!!  ;)

If this is possible...?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting my project car into little pieces
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2006, 23:58:13 »

can this be cut up ....

MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2006, 07:29:54 »

Windy saw + compressor should make short work of it, if you wanted to go that route.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2006, 08:29:21 »

Its a Rover, leave it out in the rain a  few days and then follow up with the yard brush... ;)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2006, 09:33:52 »

Its a Rover, leave it out in the rain a  few days and then follow up with the yard brush... ;)
;D ;D

You really dont like em do you Mark - to be honest - neither do i but someone always buys the parts

Andy B - that was my thoughs thanks!! - do you really think that will work ( its the same as i found on ebay) i suppose after all the internal panels aint that thick...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2006, 09:38:09 »

I grew up working on Triumphs, Rovers, MG's, Rustin's etc......and by the early nineties it was clear to me they had run their course as a car maker....

to far behind the rest of the cars of thier era and very poor at developing their products.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2006, 09:44:00 »

I fairness, under Honda's guidance, they were beginning to overcome many of their problems. Then BMW bought them, and I remember telling Mrs TheBoy that day (she used to work there) that that would be the end of Rover, as Honda would no longer co-operate.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2006, 09:54:24 »

They never got any where near to getting over their problems and never would have done whilst Long-bridge remained open.....Honda to an extent made it worse, they ended up with two cars which 40% of the population couldnt drive due to the lack of head room and an overrated Honda dev engine in the form of the K series!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2006, 10:02:55 »

Agree totally Mark - Rover were aware of many pitfalls and pushed in either in ignorance or arrogance.

Lotus apparently told them in 1997 they needed to change the design on the head gasket for k series 1.8 vvc`s.

They didnt do it untill 2001. Either cos they didnt want to or simply perhaps lack of funds..

On the subject of cutting this car up - i think its a no goer - theres no way i can cut through a chassis is there......anyone ?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2006, 11:29:37 »

Witha  good reciprocating saw you can.....you could hire a plasma cutter for the weekend.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2006, 11:37:31 »

k series wasn't bad in its time, but its still a 1980s engine.  BMW wouldn't put in the money to develop the cars/engines. Even now, the K series isn't bad (1.6 seems to be most reliable), and still way better than the 1.6 Zetec crap we had to endure in a Focus we had for 2 years.

I quite like our little Rover 25. OK, so its obviously built to a cost, but it goes well around the lanes, and handles well. Build quality is not that good though, rattles like hell  >:(
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2006, 12:14:41 »

Witha  good reciprocating saw you can.....you could hire a plasma cutter for the weekend.

how good is a good reciprocating saw....looked at a few and they range from £30 obviously rubbish to around £500. :o

would this sort of spec and price do ....

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060118080

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2006, 12:29:01 »

yeehaa that looks the buisness and there one of the branches about half a mile from me

Cheques in the post Mark  ;)

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2006, 14:53:07 »

I once cut up a Carlton estate using no more than a grinder, (used quite a few disks!), hacksaw, and my personal favourite............ a very sharp cold chisel and a big hammer! Worked a treat!
If I have to explain you won't understand!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.