Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I insured to drive project car?  (Read 4463 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Am I insured to drive project car?
« on: 24 August 2006, 21:22:08 »

Possibly one for the Police members here...

My insurance says I am allowed to drive any car with owners consent not owned by me.

So if I make Mrs TheBoy the legal owner, am I insured? I guess so, but wondered if that would be the case, as she won't be insured to drive, despite it being hers?

Anyone know for sure?
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Am I insured to drive project car?
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2006, 21:31:04 »

you could try ringing them and explaining what your doing, the may be nice and let you be covered for free one day.

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2006, 21:33:55 »

IIRC the car in question will still need to be insured under a fully-comprehensive policy for you to drive the car, given you have the owners consent...

So unless the project is also Insured by Mrs TheBoy under a Comprehensive policy, then afraid not!

BUT I have used these before...

http://www.dayinsure.com/

As long as you are insured on another vehicle under your own policy, you can get temporary cover on another car using a short term policy.

You can't however Tax a car on a short-term policy if needed...
« Last Edit: 24 August 2006, 21:35:16 by PaulW »
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2006, 21:40:34 »

Car is taxed and MOT'd - jsut I saw something On TV last night - one of those Traffic Cop programs, and the driver of the car was insured to drive car, even though car itself was not insured by owner....
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2006, 21:51:44 »

Hotel 21 is probably able to help you on this one. He was kind enough to advise me on a similar matter.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2006, 21:54:02 »

I think the guy your are talking about was a mechanic with a traders policy.
Retired

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2006, 22:43:04 »

Been out for the evening, just back in.

Its called the DOC extension.  Thats driving other cars, not some invention by a certain Dr Chartham which used to be popular with some male members....    ;)

All the following refers to a public road, that being a road to which the public have access, whether on payment or otherwise, not just a road which is repairable at public expense.  

The registered keeper is not required to be the owner.  Check the smallish print on your V5.

If Mrs the Boy owns the car but its registered in Mr TheBoys name, thats OK so far.

If Mr The Boy has insurance and it states that he can also drive other cars, not owned by him nor hired to him under a hire purchase agreement, then he would, on the face of things, be covered.  Most times, however, only Fully Comp policies have this DOC extension, most 3rd party only or TPF&T do not.

There is a substantial caveat, however.

He is only insured whilst in the drivers seat.  Not the passenger seat, not the back, not whilst under the bonnet, in the boot or going to pay for petrol at a garage or whatever.  Therefore its not insured if it rolls backwards and crushes a pedestrian or dents someones brand new Rolls Canardly when he is not in the drivers seat.  At such other times, car is uninsured and, as Mrs The Boy is the owner, she is liable for penalty points and the fine that goes with causing or permitting the use of a vehicle whilst uninsured.   Mr TheBoy also catches similar points and prizes as he was actually using it at the time.  Can be a fixed penalty ticket for 6 points and £200 or a summary appearance at a Court with the risk of a higher fine.  For either or both Mr and Mrs.  And the repair costs of the Rolls or the civil suit for the multi million squids cash payout to the family of the injured party who now lives in an iron lung or a wheelchair......

The DOC extension was designed to cover eventualities such as the regular driver becoming unwell of an evening and a fellow passenger who has his own insurance for his own car jumping into the drivers seat and then get the entire party home.

I know we check such situations out hereabouts and the use, as described, is technically OK.  Remember that a vehicle must be insured whilst on a public road and when used as above, is only insured whilst being driven .  I would not like, however, to put such an arrangement as described to the acid test of a claim for a serious road crash with insurance company's battling it out to see who is going to pay what.

If its simply a case of moving the car from one side of town to the other versus insuring a 2CV and then driving a 3.2 MV6 to regularly travel to work, if the latter, I think I would be looking for short term insurance, just in case.

Ultimately, its your call but it may not stand upto extended scrutiny....

HtH

Broocie

« Last Edit: 25 August 2006, 06:34:25 by hotel21 »

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2006, 07:57:51 »

Well put Broocie

I have trade insurance which covers me to drive any car owned by me or in my possession 'in connection with my business'. So, I cannot just drive a friend car unless I am doing work to it etc.

Before this, I used www.dayinsure.com to get Fully comp. It cost £10.50 and allowed me to collect any car and drive it without worry, but obviously that car had to have a current MoT and be taxed and roadworthy. The exception would have been to take a car for an MoT at a garage within reasonable distance. ie, I could take an un-MoT'd car for its pre-booked MoT on the other side of Nottingham, but not to Birmingham. Note it has to be PRE-BOOKED.

My understanding of this 'other peoples' cars buisness is that the car must be rigitsred to the person you say you are borrowing it from and they must hold insurance on it themselves, hence why it is easier to just use dayinsure and count the £10.50 cost in with the cars expenses.

HTH

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2006, 09:59:42 »

Just to further clarify the already comprehensive (no pun intended) answers.  The small print on my fully comp insurance which allows me to drive other cars is quite clear that this should only be used in an emergency.  If you had call to claim, they would probably take issue with the owner of the car that is not yours being your wife!

Depending on who your insurance company is,  you may well be able to extend your current policy to cover the project car 3rd party only for very little.  Give them a call!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2006, 10:25:48 »

In my experience, with most fully comprehensive policies they will cover you to drive other cars provided you have the owners full permission, but importantly it is only 3rd party cover. This means if you have an accident and you are responsible, it will only cover the third party's car and not the car you are driving (this could be costly if you write the car off :'(). As mentioned in some of the other replies to this thread, you are better off getting temporary cover for a day or so which will only cost approx. £20-£30 depending on circumstances, or if long term, get put on the other persons policy as a named driver.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2006, 11:03:25 »

In my experience, with most fully comprehensive policies they will cover you to drive other cars provided you have the owners full permission, but importantly it is only 3rd party cover. This means if you have an accident and you are responsible, it will only cover the third party's car and not the car you are driving (this could be costly if you write the car off :'(). As mentioned in some of the other replies to this thread, you are better off getting temporary cover for a day or so which will only cost approx. £20-£30 depending on circumstances, or if long term, get put on the other persons policy as a named driver.
The owner might be Mrs TheBoy, and she ain't insured neither....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2006, 11:14:05 »

Thanks for info guys, esp hotel21 for the 'official' insight :)

I have decided to play safe, and get it added to my policy for 2 weeks...
Grumpy old man

flymike

• Nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2006, 11:23:03 »

You can get DOC on TPFT and TP policies.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2006, 12:12:11 »

Well put Broocie

I have trade insurance which covers me to drive any car owned by me or in my possession 'in connection with my business'. So, I cannot just drive a friend car unless I am doing work to it etc.

Before this, I used www.dayinsure.com to get Fully comp. It cost £10.50 and allowed me to collect any car and drive it without worry, but obviously that car had to have a current MoT and be taxed and roadworthy. The exception would have been to take a car for an MoT at a garage within reasonable distance. ie, I could take an un-MoT'd car for its pre-booked MoT on the other side of Nottingham, but not to Birmingham. Note it has to be PRE-BOOKED.

My understanding of this 'other peoples' cars buisness is that the car must be rigitsred to the person you say you are borrowing it from and they must hold insurance on it themselves, hence why it is easier to just use dayinsure and count the £10.50 cost in with the cars expenses.

HTH

I used them to pick up my elite, think is the same system as i paid £10.50 but it was though Norwich Union. Printed out a Certficate of my insurance and took it with me, incase plod with their new systems stopped me.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2006, 12:33:13 »

Well put Broocie

HTH

I used them to pick up my elite, think is the same system as i paid £10.50 but it was though Norwich Union. Printed out a Certficate of my insurance and took it with me, incase plod with their new systems stopped me.

Is that the service Ebay are offering only I think Norwich Union cover you for 3 days or something like that.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.