Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A wee story  (Read 6266 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
A wee story
« on: 10 August 2006, 19:05:02 »

Meant as a funny tale, not a preaching lesson, so no offence or bible thumping intended.....   :P

Once upon a time, I was out and about doing what I get paid for.  (see the newbie welcome if unclear)

My colleague and I were having a busy day and asked a chap who was travelling at warp speed to check out how soft and comfy the rear seats were in our shiny Beemer.  He didn't want to, so we twisted his arm a wee bit.   ::)  

Once there, he insisted that he still didn't want to be there and that we should be doing other things rather than be talking to him.  We asked him to watch the telly that was in the dashboard for a couple of minutes.  We hoped that would calm him down, but it had no effect as he did not like the channel or the programme.  If anything, it seemed to get him more annoyed.  

He was told it was the only channel that we could watch and that, if he kept looking, he would see a nice shiney car like his on it soon but he would have to watch really really hard as it was only going to be there for a few seconds to start with, as it was going quite quick.  He shouldn't worry though, we managed to keep up with it and, if he looked at the corner of the screen, he could see how fast it was going......  (really dont advise having too many dangly things in the rear window.  Makes your boring blue repmobile quite distinctive from all other blue repmobiles...) 

Once he realised that he was now a TV star and that we wouldn't send the tape to a Mr Beadle, he settled a bit but told us we should change jobs and go catch what he called 'real criminals', such as rapists and murderers.

Cue radio message....

Zed Tee from Hotel two-one, for the benefit of a member of the public, could you advise how many ongoing rape and murder enquiries there are within the force area at this time, please?

To Hotel two-one, none at this time, over.

Roger Zed Tee, thank you.

Well sir, it would appear that you now have our full and undivided attention.  Want to see the tape again?

As we say up this neck of the woods, his gas was now at a peep, and he paid up like a good 'un at the court later.  

Discuss......   :-/

« Last Edit: 10 August 2006, 19:08:52 by hotel21 »

Taxi_Driver

Re: A wee story
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2006, 19:26:49 »

Yeah amusing  ;D

I once got pulled over on the m4 a few years ago driving a company car.

I was in outside lane sat on 90mph.....when i suddenly noticed id gone passed a patrol car that was tucked in nice and tight in front of a HGV on the inside lane (not saying they do that on purpose  ::))

Id had a bad day at work and thought....sod it....carnt be bothered to slow down.
Next thing its behind me in the middle lane....i still carnt be bothered to slow down...

Lights on and i have to pull over.....great i think....not...here comes speeding ticket  :(

Officer opens passenger door....and says before you say anything sir....your gonna get a ticket for something and as your not wearing a seatbelt....that will do  :-?

So i get a £20 fine for not wearing a seatbelt plus a lecture about we know this is a company car....and reps cannot stick to 70mph....just slow down when you see us and speed back up when you carnt see us anymore...and dont go faster than 90 otherwise you would have got a speeding ticket as well.

Dunno if traffic are still the same or i just had good experience as it were  :-/
« Last Edit: 10 August 2006, 19:28:43 by Taxi_Driver »

summat

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2006, 19:27:46 »

Lol!    :D

A fair cop, I'd say

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2006, 19:29:43 »

Meant as a funny tale, not a preaching lesson, so no offence or bible thumping intended.....   :P

Discuss......   :-/

Sorry (well not much) Hotel21
But as previously discussed with regard to private roads etc etc. Practice what you preach & condescending tw4t seem to spring to mind!!!  >:(
I've followed coppers at 40 in a 30. Reversing the situation I held a copper to 29 in 30 where he couldn't overtake, when we got to a set of traffic lights that were changing against us I pulled into the right hand lane to turn right, while he put his blue flashy light on to take him through the now RED light! It was off again within 30ft.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2006, 19:38:43 »

Andy B - each to their own.  Like I said, meant as a funny tale and nowt else.  Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental, names and circumstances changed for poetic licence.....  

As to your counter tale, no doubt everyone has a similar story, myself included.  

Like any big workforce, there are good, bad and indifferent workers within, scattered throughout the different branches up and down the country.  You recount only one small aspect of the tale.  The cop in the car may well have another and, by acting as a 30 mph roadblock, you may have either 1) scored a minor point for yourself or 2) prevented the detection of a crime or offence by delaying the cop who did not want to use lights/sirens to allow Burglar Bill to run off on hearing them or 3) made the cop late for dinner and all chips/doughnuts are now finished.  

B

« Last Edit: 10 August 2006, 19:43:41 by hotel21 »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2006, 19:48:35 »

Hotel21...

I know a retired patrol.....who told me it can be the norm for patrols putting on their blue lights to get through traffic even tho no emergency..and used to do it quite regularly esp when shift finishing time and wanted to get to local pub b4 last orders  ;D..he said it was not allowed to put on sirens unless real emergency tho.

Just wondered?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2006, 19:56:36 »

Lets face it, we all know the speed limits, if we get caught either by camera or patrol exceeding these limits, its fair cop.

Whilst there are probably scumbag coppers, most are just doing what they are paid to do, and enforcing the rules (made by others).
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2006, 20:02:24 »

Andy B - each to their own.  Like I said, meant as a funny tale and nowt else.  

As to your counter tale, no doubt everyone has a similar story, myself included.  

Like any big workforce, there are good, bad and indifferent workers within, scattered throughout the different branches up and down the country.  You recount only one small aspect of the tale.  The cop in the car may well have another and, by acting as a 30 mph roadblock, you may have either 1) scored a minor point for yourself or 2) prevented the detection of a crime or offence by delaying the cop who did not want to use lights/sirens to allow Burglar Bill to run off on hearing them or 3) made the cop late for dinner and all chips/doughnuts are now finished.  

B

10 o'clock in the evening, just me and him on the road, big wide major road on which he could have passed me if he'd wished. Bad choice of words on my behalf. Do we get to know this dangerous speeders speed and in what kind of car he was in? This current campagne with a blacket message of 'Speed Kill!' p's me off. I could go on a rant, but will use the well used responce of INAPPROPIATE Speed kills! 70mph is less than half of what a V6 3.0 will do and so has the 150mph brakes to match! There is one member who was done for 79mph on a Motorway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what is the justification for that? While 'you lot' act like that you'll never get motoring Joe Public to be behind you! And you'll continue to get the reply you got ... go & catch a proper criminal  (- or you could charge the ignorant & gullible normally law abiding kids - but that's another long long story. We fought the law and won though!!)
Trouble is if you legally own & run a car, chances are you'll have a few quid to spare and besides you have your name & address on the front & back of the car for any misdemeanors to be contacted via!
Anyway if you work(ed) in Fife we've probably already met! I used to get stopped every week-end some where between home & Rosyth (HMS Caledonia) My crime was to be young and drive a MkIII Cortina.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2006, 20:06:36 »

The Oxford traffic plod used to pull me DAILY. I had a Astra GTE at the time, and it was when the media caught those joyriders in Blackbird Leys (estate on edge of Oxford) on camera.

My crime? Young, and driving GTE, and out late at night.  However, I was glad they stopped me, at least if it had been nicked, I knew plod was ready to pull anyone over...
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2006, 20:08:27 »

TD - Using the lights/sirens to get home if you are running late?  Of course it happens, just not officially.   ;)  Same as the employee at Dixons/Woolies/Pick an expensive shop - are not supposed to put items aside at sale time AND get staff discount at the same time!!  In both these and others similar, you would need to have your head well buried in the sand to believe otherwise.  Perks of the job?  Possibly, but hopefully used sensibly.  I know I do, cant speak for others.

TD and Andy B -  Good Cop/Bad Cop? - Again, of course it happens.  The usual starter is most times based on the attitude test. By that, if a person is stopped and comes back at the cop with all (verbal) guns blazing, they have most times talked themselves into a booking.  The converse, most times, is also true.  The caveat in the last bit, though, is based on the old cop/young cop.  The older guy has, most times, seen, done and worn most T shirts around whilst the young cop, new in the job, books everyone - its the only way to be fair, isn't it?

I subscribe to the former.  A warning, most times, goes further to educate than a booking.  

But I also have a pen and tickets...

Hth

Broocie

« Last Edit: 10 August 2006, 20:15:42 by hotel21 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2006, 20:14:33 »

I think my (nice) attitude to Mr Plod is why I always (touch wood) have gotten away with nought more than a bollocking...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2006, 20:16:15 »

My crime? Young, and driving GTE, and out late at night.  However, I was glad they stopped me, at least if it had been nicked, I knew plod was ready to pull anyone over...
How many time have I heard that well used & abused phrase by coppers? It didn't seem to matter if it was day time or 3 in the morning. On one occasion the copper said 'I knew it was you .... I've stopped you before!!!!!!!!!!!' So WTF did he stop me this time?
 When my Mk III was knicked where were the coppers? Exactly ..... no where to be seen!  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2006, 20:19:01 »

I've obviously had a better experience with the law then you :)
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2006, 20:30:00 »

Andy B - each to their own.  Like I said, meant as a funny tale and nowt else.  Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental, names and circumstances changed for poetic licence.....  

B

and asked a chap who was travelling at warp speed to check out how soft and comfy the rear seats were in our shiny Beemer.  He didn't want to, so we twisted his arm a wee bit.   ::)  

Once there, he insisted that he still didn't want to be there and that we should be doing other things rather than be talking to him.  We asked him to watch the telly that was in the dashboard for a couple of minutes.  We hoped that would calm him down, but it had no effect as he did not like the channel or the programme.  If anything, it seemed to get him more annoyed.  

He was told it was the only channel that we could watch and that, if he kept looking, he would see a nice shiney car like his on it soon but he would have to watch really really hard as it was only going to be there for a few seconds to start with, as it was going quite quick.  He shouldn't worry though, we managed to keep up with it and, if he looked at the corner of the screen, he could see how fast it was going......  (really dont advise having too many dangly things in the rear window.  Makes your boring blue repmobile quite distinctive from all other blue repmobiles...)
Which was the funny bit? It must've gone over my head.
He already knew why you were pulling him over. He didn't need a head-master lecture from you two!

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2006, 20:52:44 »

The Oxford traffic plod used to pull me DAILY. I had a Astra GTE at the time, and it was when the media caught those joyriders in Blackbird Leys (estate on edge of Oxford) on camera.

I'm with TheBoy.

When i started out i got stopped almost every night. I think i knew every policeman at my local nic. We were on first name terms.

But from that i knew, if they saw someone else driving my car then they would have known something was up.

From experience though, i have found Traffic to be a lot more fair and just. I don't think they have a point to prove.   ;)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.