Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The next nationwide OOF meet?  (Read 7798 times)

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: The next nationwide OOF meet?
« Reply #30 on: 04 July 2007, 21:25:29 »

Wherever it is, it is worth bearing in mind that practically all of the suggested dates are in the school summer holidays and prices and availability will be affected by this.

There are a number of members in the southwest who would find access to places like The Lake District or the southeast / East Anglia challenging. Within reason, we are happy to travel but it is the same distance north as it is south. I think north Devon is a pig to get to because you spend so long off the motorway to get anywhere. South Devon is a lot easier as it's only just over an hour from Bristol maybe 90 minutes towing a van. if that's still too far, how about somewhere like Brean or Burnham on Sea which is not bad for families and bigger sites have club houses with entertainment etc.

Sorry if I have opened things up again but there appears to be some concern over the already proposed venues.
My own view is that Devon is too far for a big meet - simply many would not be prepared to travel that far for a weekend. Therefore, you would not get too many people who would/could make it, even from midlands area.  Obviously, the reverse is true, hence we didn't expect too many at the England v Scotland (Lakes) from way south.  We have to use locations, I reckon, that as many people as possible can make it.

I suspect most are prepared to drive for up to 2 - 3 hrs, which is always going to make it diificult for the Cornish, Kent, East Anglian, West Wales, and North Scotland members.

Around Bristol should include all the West Country folks, Midlands Mob, Welsh, Bournemouth etc, London, etc.  Obviously Bristol isn't necessarily the most picturesque location, but the Wye Valley isn't too far unless right in the depths of Western Cornwall.

The Western Devon location is going to cover all of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset etc, but possibly not much further  :-/

What do others think?

At the end of the day we are not going to be able to cater for every member of the forum  :-/

Martin_1962

« Reply #31 on: 04 July 2007, 21:27:33 »

Not Brean - it is a dump!

Wye valley should be nice

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 July 2007, 21:40:10 »

Wherever it is, it is worth bearing in mind that practically all of the suggested dates are in the school summer holidays and prices and availability will be affected by this.

There are a number of members in the southwest who would find access to places like The Lake District or the southeast / East Anglia challenging. Within reason, we are happy to travel but it is the same distance north as it is south. I think north Devon is a pig to get to because you spend so long off the motorway to get anywhere. South Devon is a lot easier as it's only just over an hour from Bristol maybe 90 minutes towing a van. if that's still too far, how about somewhere like Brean or Burnham on Sea which is not bad for families and bigger sites have club houses with entertainment etc.

Sorry if I have opened things up again but there appears to be some concern over the already proposed venues.
My own view is that Devon is too far for a big meet - simply many would not be prepared to travel that far for a weekend. Therefore, you would not get too many people who would/could make it, even from midlands area.  Obviously, the reverse is true, hence we didn't expect too many at the England v Scotland (Lakes) from way south.  We have to use locations, I reckon, that as many people as possible can make it.

I suspect most are prepared to drive for up to 2 - 3 hrs, which is always going to make it diificult for the Cornish, Kent, East Anglian, West Wales, and North Scotland members.

Around Bristol should include all the West Country folks, Midlands Mob, Welsh, Bournemouth etc, London, etc.  Obviously Bristol isn't necessarily the most picturesque location, but the Wye Valley isn't too far unless right in the depths of Western Cornwall.

The Western Devon location is going to cover all of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset etc, but possibly not much further  :-/

What do others think?
Just to add my two penneth worth and NOT because i suggested Monmouth, but the Wye Valley is truly breathtaking and i do think it would be more central for many peeps, Devon can be a PITA to get to with traffic etc and is a long way for many, for a weekend. Me i'm not too bothered where the next meet is' as i look forward to getting more involved in the next one, however if we want everyone to get involved and to meet then a central location, i feel, would be better. I dont want to steal Bobs thunder but just airing my own views, and i have to agree with TB. Anyway whenever and wherever i look forward to the next OOF meet.  :y

« Last Edit: 04 July 2007, 21:42:23 by TheBoy »

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 July 2007, 21:48:50 »

PS. Monmouth/ the Wye Valley was only a suggestion and taken only from personal experiance of the area and the centralish location. I dont want to railroad anyone or step on anyones shoes, after all i am still a relative newbie here, although after saying that i do feel very much part of the gang, and cheers  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 July 2007, 08:02:31 »

Personally 2-3 Hours travelling is tops for me
If I take the kids, any longer is not fair on them
If I don't, I almost want to be closer to home in event of a problem

That said, there will always be lots of small, regional meets, in every corner of the country, just like the 'jocular omegas'
but as there is a lot of distance involved, attendance will be limited.
For the bigger meets, like the lakes, it HAS to be central if you want a good turn out.

Im based in Chester, about 1/2 way down the country, for a weekend, I would probably say not north of Carlisle, South of Bristol or SE of Luton.

Looking forward to the next meet though!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #35 on: 06 July 2007, 07:46:46 »

Any further than the Lakes would be too far for me......took me 5 1/2 hours there (bloody friday afternoon traffic) and 4 hours on the way back......didnt mind tho....good weekend  :y

But then i dont mind driving......as i do all day long anyway  ;D

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 July 2007, 16:10:22 »

Hmmmmm.........point taken about it being a bit too far for members further North and Scotland. I just thought that as the Lakes was a fair way up North for some of us (300 miles for me) a location in the South would be nice (although Woolacombe is still 250 miles for me ::)) I guess we could still do it as more of an area meet as opposed to a national meet. If there's still interest in doing this, it looks like 31st August to 2nd September is the most popular so far, so should we go for it or maybe do it next year?
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 July 2007, 19:48:31 »

Hmmmmm.........point taken about it being a bit too far for members further North and Scotland. I just thought that as the Lakes was a fair way up North for some of us (300 miles for me) a location in the South would be nice (although Woolacombe is still 250 miles for me ::)) I guess we could still do it as more of an area meet as opposed to a national meet. If there's still interest in doing this, it looks like 31st August to 2nd September is the most popular so far, so should we go for it or maybe do it next year?
I think the thing is we'll only get one in, so is English/Welsh border, or west Devon going to be the favourite?
Grumpy old man

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 July 2007, 20:00:59 »

wherever,whenever, have Meega will travel

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 July 2007, 20:08:09 »

much as i like Devon seems welsh borders would see more owners ?

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 July 2007, 02:39:17 »

i dont mind a little traveling but say about 2 pos 3 hours as have 10 month old daugther how gets bord very quick so devon welsh border dont mind lets sort out a location time and date and lets make it happin captin lol sorry missius likes men in black

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 July 2007, 10:23:31 »

I think the thing is we'll only get one in, so is English/Welsh border, or west Devon going to be the favourite?

Yup , lets get it sorted, Billing is out but i have something up my sleeve for a venue like that for early next year ::) Devon would be nice but a bit too far for most i fear for a weekend  :question so the welsh borders is favourite with me ;) and the 31st August to the 2nd September is also fine, this weekend also avoids the bank holiday :y

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 July 2007, 09:23:22 »

Yup , lets get it sorted, Billing is out but i have something up my sleeve for a venue like that for early next year ::) Devon would be nice but a bit too far for most i fear for a weekend  :question so the welsh borders is favourite with me ;) and the 31st August to the 2nd September is also fine, this weekend also avoids the bank holiday :y
Sounds good to us!  We'll pencil that in.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

amigov6

« Reply #43 on: 09 July 2007, 21:07:42 »

:)Reckon i'd be ok in Wales but Bristol would be a little more accessible for most. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 July 2007, 21:18:22 »

That sounds good to me....
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.