Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitted new top mount, now it's creaking!  (Read 2663 times)

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
Fitted new top mount, now it's creaking!
« on: 09 May 2018, 20:13:14 »

So, I've decided to change the top mounts and bearings on the front struts.  I've only done one side so far and thought I'd got it all back together properly but when I took the car around the block to try it (and to test the back brakes I've just done), it was quickly apparent something wasn't right.  The strut is now creaking when I steer and is not turning smoothly when I steer.

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?  Thanks.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Fitted new top mount, now it's creaking!
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 21:13:28 »

So, I've decided to change the top mounts and bearings on the front struts.  I've only done one side so far and thought I'd got it all back together properly but when I took the car around the block to try it (and to test the back brakes I've just done), it was quickly apparent something wasn't right.  The strut is now creaking when I steer and is not turning smoothly when I steer.

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?  Thanks.

Never fitted an omega one but I remember something with cavalier ones if you don't line up notches on the top spring cup and plastic insert then it can end up crushing the bearings too much, that or something is either missing or not fitted quite right perhaps?.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 21:38:34 »

I'll have to strip it back down again tomorrow and have another look.  I seem to have had nothing but set backs with the car this week. :(

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 22:52:15 »

Check if the coil spring upper seat is correctly aligned. That's the top-hat metal dish that sits underneath the bearing in the top rubber mounting. Item 2 in this drawing.. It has a two small drain holes. The slightly larger drain hole sits inboard to the engine bay, directly opposite the steering knuckle. Not the smaller hole.

Also that the washers, item 17, are in place and correctly orientated.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 22:54:29 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 23:43:48 »

I'm just changing the top strut mounts and I didn't follow what are you aligning with the hole??

I've just been experimenting. The pictures in Haynes aren't very clear, and the image in the Carlton manual appears to contradict the text. Anyhow...

I *think* the large hole goes outboard, so directly above the two shock to steering knuckle bolts. The small hole is therefore directly above the anti-roll bar fixing point.

There may have been marks on the top hats originally, but I've just had mine powder coated so any marks have been lost.
Drain hole inboard, alignment hole outboard.

As per the orientation of the original parts fitted to my car :y
:y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 19:08:40 »

Well I've redone the first side and done the other, paying attention to the alignment of the top-hat.  I've not had the car back on the floor yet as I spen the rest of the day fighting with a track rod end, but the steering seems smooth.  I guess I'll know for sure when the car is back on its wheels on the floor tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 20:46:52 »

Well, I've not had any luck.  The passenger side which I did second seems to have gone okay, but despite stripping down the drivers side four more times, it is still not turning smoothly.  I've admitted defeat until next weekend.  I've ordered up another bearing and top mount, but frankly I'm lost as to what is causing the problem, especially as the passenger side seems to have gone fine on its first attempt.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 22:12:45 »

What was it that prompted the renewal of the top doughnuts and bearings in the first place?

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2018, 22:16:00 »

Both struts were knocking when you bounced the suspension and on inspection the rubber on both top mounts was cracked.  I've had to change them on cars in the past but this is the first time I've had problems after doing it.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2018, 22:39:31 »

Cracked? Well that's new to me. Usually the doughnuts compress (collapse) and protrude through the turret too far. The bearings themselves are pretty robust.

Knocking when bouncing the suspension could be the link rods that attach the struts to the anti-roll bar. Were they OK when you removed the struts? Recently renewed? Or a knock noise whilst driving could be the nearside idler arm but that's usually also associated with sloppy steering.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 23:33:17 »

Make sure everything is fully tightened...

Got that T shirt :-[
Onanists always think outside the box.

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2018, 06:55:59 »

Does it make same noise when you jack front up and turn wheels?
I had same kind of noise coming and I was sure it is top mount, but it was ball joint with puncture on its rubber sleeve that was probably full of dirt and making all the noise.

Worth to check if you cant find solution from strut end.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2018, 19:47:59 »

Cracked? Well that's new to me. Usually the doughnuts compress (collapse) and protrude through the turret too far. The bearings themselves are pretty robust.

Knocking when bouncing the suspension could be the link rods that attach the struts to the anti-roll bar. Were they OK when you removed the struts? Recently renewed? Or a knock noise whilst driving could be the nearside idler arm but that's usually also associated with sloppy steering.

The drop links are brand new, fitted by myself and I double checked the tightness several times following reading posts on here!  The offending bearing was found to be seperated everytime I dropped the strut.  I've ordered up anotherone to eliminate the possibility of a bad bearing.

The top mounts were cracked (They were stamped with GM so I suspect they were original) and on removal found to be compressed, they were defiantley due renewal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.