Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1.8 Zafiras  (Read 1246 times)

05omegav6

1.8 Zafiras
« on: 08 March 2012, 04:59:50 »

Considering a nearly new one to replace the v6 for work... Are they durable? What sort of economy are they capable of? Anything over 33mpg would make it viable. Plan would be to keep it for 18 months/120k. Also it would only be used as a car, not an MPV so rear seat space not an issue. Have 3 1.8 Vectra Cs on our fleet with 300k between them and no significant probs, so not worried by the engines. Alternative would be a SEAT Altea XL, but I really dislike VWs... 

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: 1.8 Zafiras
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2012, 09:17:51 »

Al I have a 11 reg zafira 1.8 at mo as a loan car ( bloody peugeot again back at main dealers) and tbh not that good on petrol as it needs a 6 th gear at motorway speeds I can get 32 mpg if I take it easy the 1.9 cdti a lot better  i could get 42 mpg out of that then saying that for comfort etc very good if I was going to buy one i would seriously consider the diesel though  :y
« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 09:20:18 by the alarming man »
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

mantahatch

« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2012, 13:24:01 »

We have a 2004 Astra 1.8 (125bhp)auto and a 2009 Astra 1.8 (140bhp)auto. Both of them do mostly town driving up to 40mph and we both get around 26mpg.  Not brilliant but they can get a shift on when needed  :y

I am sure they would do better on a run. My old Omega is giving 18-19mpg on the same run. Omega did return 36mpg on a long 60mph run towing a trailer tent, have not done than run in the Astra.

Suspect it may be slightly worse for a Zafira as probably heavier and less aerodynamic.

HTH

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2012, 14:40:25 »

Right, had a look at two, one a 1.8 petrol, tother a 1.7 diesel. Using the fuel consumption on the respective trip computers as a base, (1.8 was 30mpg and the 1.7 was 36), and assuming 1.379 for unleaded and 1.469 for diseasal, the Omega costs 29ppm, 1.8 Zafira costs 20.9 ppm and the 1.7 costs 19.6ppm. So over 4500miles a month, the Omega costs1350ish, the1.8 945 and the diesel 855. :-\

Clear cut you might think...

But the 1.8 will cost 440pm and the 1.7 would be 505. Both cars have approx 5000 on the clock and are the same spec, also were both registered on the same day. The diesel one would cost about 7 quid a week less but is an unknown against the 1.8,which has proven itself to be a reliable lump :-\. Neither will save me money against the Omegas fuel bill, but nor will they actually cost anything.  :-\

The main problem apart from its thirst, is that the parts that I keep having to replace are simply not lasting with the mileage that I do. Drop links that should last 2years are shot within 3 months, likewise wheel bearings are having to be done every disc change, which in turn are every other pad change. Need to do the third HBV in three years etc, etc... :'( Much as I love the bloody thing, it is starting to drive me mad.

Waiting on the nod from the finance peeps before a decision is made.
Plan is to keep the Omega as a private car which will enable me to claim back every penny on the Zafira 8) and hopefully get back to enjoying it for what it actually is.... a bloody good car. :y
« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 14:44:06 by taxi al »

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2012, 14:52:21 »

Apologies for 2nd post, but 'modify' wouldn't do quite what it should on this newfangled tablet thingy ::)

Wanted to add that I'm only considering manual cars, so mpg should be reliably nearer 30 for the 1.8.  :-\ Our 3 Vectras are all returning at least 30mpg with a variety of drivers. Have a saloon, a hatch and an estate, all manual 1.8's for reference. :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2012, 16:14:32 »

The 1.7 CDTi has no real issues....check though as its probably got a DPF so totaly unsuitable for town driving as it needs regular long runs.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2012, 18:51:29 »

The 1.7 CDTi has no real issues....check though as its probably got a DPF so totaly unsuitable for town driving as it needs regular long runs.
A valid, ie expensive reason, to avoid it then as a work car :-\ 70% of what I do is either short journeys or stop start :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.