Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Any motorhome owners on here.  (Read 9225 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Any motorhome owners on here.
« Reply #60 on: 21 May 2019, 13:34:38 »

we have a Landrover camper, ex ambulance converted to camper,
it means we can get off the beaten track,
3 weeks last year up to the artic circle we spent 4 nights on campsites, the rest of the time, we stayed in woodland clearings and out of the way places.

That sounds awesome!  8)  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 May 2019, 18:22:10 »

3 weeks last year up to the artic circle we spent 4 nights on campsites, the rest of the time, we stayed in woodland clearings and out of the way places.

That sounds awesome!  8) :y

It sounds uncomfortable ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 21 May 2019, 18:25:53 »

Personally, I'd prefer a tent and a spade.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 May 2019, 18:46:49 »

You mean a shovel  ??? ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 May 2019, 19:03:26 »

You mean a shovel  ??? ::)
Cant dig with a shovel. Hence spade.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #65 on: 22 May 2019, 14:41:59 »

Huge six figure inheritance and you want to go out in a motorhome!? Are you mad? :o :o :o

The cost alone of maintaining one, would buy a huge amount of hotels. Plus add in depreciation etc, you could spend 25% of what you would on a motorhome on a very nice car and enjoy the drive to a hotel and use the facilities there. The annual running cost of one of those things, you could pay for a hotel for 2 weeks easy.

Not many motorhomes have swimming pools, sauna's, hot tubs along with a waitress to bring you drinks.  ;)

Better still, pop suitcase in back of your V8 Merc and take that. Fuel and hotels won't be an issue with new funds.

Do all of those things already ,and to be quite honest you either like camping & caravanning or you don't, when we go abroad we fly anyway  cost & maintenance is not a problem. Just want to see parts of the UK we've never been to before.

« Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 14:43:47 by Tilbo »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 May 2019, 14:55:07 »

Huge six figure inheritance and you want to go out in a motorhome!? Are you mad? :o :o :o

The cost alone of maintaining one, would buy a huge amount of hotels. Plus add in depreciation etc, you could spend 25% of what you would on a motorhome on a very nice car and enjoy the drive to a hotel and use the facilities there. The annual running cost of one of those things, you could pay for a hotel for 2 weeks easy.

Not many motorhomes have swimming pools, sauna's, hot tubs along with a waitress to bring you drinks.  ;)

Better still, pop suitcase in back of your V8 Merc and take that. Fuel and hotels won't be an issue with new funds.

You usually mention out emptying the toilet .....  ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 22 May 2019, 14:59:57 »

You usually mention out emptying the toilet .....  ::)

Oh yeh forgot that, while I'm here... blocking up the roads, causing queues, bad for the environment, stupid campsite rules and I'm still yet to stand up straight in one, without my head hitting roof.  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 22 May 2019, 15:15:28 »

Will also say I've driven a few of them, Gramps Tunnie (RIP  :'() many years ago was looking to buy one, much to my dislike and I suggested hotels but he wanted one. So I took him around to look at loads and we drove them.

I took a few for a test drive, not cheap things, for something decent he was looking at splashing £40/50/60k.  :o

The driving experience was van like, slow, underpowered, lots of gear shifts for a change in engine sound/note but did not appear to translate into much movement forwards.

Also, because they are loaded up with cooking pots, plates, cups, glasses, tins, food, jars, all the usual kitchen stuff etc. The amount of metallic bumping/knocking/clanging coming from the cabin area made the drive intolerable in my view. Hit a pot hole or even rough section and whole thing shook and crashed about.

So you get a horrible drive, which is slow and dull and zero fun. You arrive at destination where you park 3 feet from someone else, not allowed do campfires usually/games etc. Have to cook your own food, wash up your own plates and toilet etc. Not sure I will ever get the appeal!

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 22 May 2019, 15:55:49 »

That sounds awesome!  8) :y

It sounds uncomfortable ::)

not really, we did 5500 miles in it on that trip, 9000 total last year, we camped out in it new years eve for the last 3 years, went to a wedding last sat, parked the camper at the reception, crawled into it late evening,
oh we have a bog onboard.

I really dislike other people on campsites, the petty rules etc,

2boxerdogs

« Reply #70 on: 22 May 2019, 15:56:29 »

Will also say I've driven a few of them, Gramps Tunnie (RIP  :'() many years ago was looking to buy one, much to my dislike and I suggested hotels but he wanted one. So I took him around to look at loads and we drove them.

I took a few for a test drive, not cheap things, for something decent he was looking at splashing £40/50/60k.  :o

The driving experience was van like, slow, underpowered, lots of gear shifts for a change in engine sound/note but did not appear to translate into much movement forwards.

Also, because they are loaded up with cooking pots, plates, cups, glasses, tins, food, jars, all the usual kitchen stuff etc. The amount of metallic bumping/knocking/clanging coming from the cabin area made the drive intolerable in my view. Hit a pot hole or even rough section and whole thing shook and crashed about.

So you get a horrible drive, which is slow and dull and zero fun. You arrive at destination where you park 3 feet from someone else, not allowed do campfires usually/games etc. Have to cook your own food, wash up your own plates and toilet etc. Not sure I will ever get the appeal!

Things have changed a lot obviously, won't comment on everything but as for the 3 foot comment it is the six metre rule on proper sites, we both love it & have had everything over the last 45 years from a tiny tent to our present 26 foot twin axle caravan, believe me after my time in the forces this is not " roughing it "😎 We can afford to eat out if we wish but like to cook & eat outdoors preferably, but as I said understand it is simply not for some people.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 16:01:56 by Tilbo »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22 May 2019, 16:49:17 »

Things have changed a lot obviously, won't comment on everything but as for the 3 foot comment it is the six metre rule on proper sites, we both love it & have had everything over the last 45 years from a tiny tent to our present 26 foot twin axle caravan, believe me after my time in the forces this is not " roughing it "😎 We can afford to eat out if we wish but like to cook & eat outdoors preferably, but as I said understand it is simply not for some people.

I have to say, being able to self-cater is great on holiday, especially when abroad and the local markets yield lots of interesting produce to use. I quickly get bored of mediocre hotel food or having to eat out every night. My choice of camper might be a canvas one in the boot of the Omega, but there is a lot to be said for self-sufficiency on holiday, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

2boxerdogs

« Reply #72 on: 22 May 2019, 17:16:25 »

I have to say, being able to self-cater is great on holiday, especially when abroad and the local markets yield lots of interesting produce to use. I quickly get bored of mediocre hotel food or having to eat out every night. My choice of camper might be a canvas one in the boot of the Omega, but there is a lot to be said for self-sufficiency on holiday, IMHO.

Yes it's great enjoy the outdoors always have even to the extent of disappearing completely on my own using survival skills learnt years ago ! Although family insist I take a mobile nowadays..😀

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 22 May 2019, 17:46:20 »

I rarely stay in Hotels for pleasure for this very reason. We nearly always go self catering, irrespective of whether Mrs TB has any intention to cook.

We go to Cyprus at least annually, always a villa, just so we don't have to be regimental like in hotels.  And the local tavernas are always a million times better than bland hotel food, particularly the all-inclusive tasteless shite you get.

We still occasionally take the tent away.  Generally I make her cook just one night, as there is something unique about camping al-fresco, even if its just bangers and mash. I completely agree with Tilbo on that. Though we then usually eat out most of the time.

But I cant be dealing with caravans or campers. Too cramped. Too inconvenient getting it there and back. That's before you take into account costs.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #74 on: 22 May 2019, 18:55:16 »

Yes it's great enjoy the outdoors always have even to the extent of disappearing completely on my own using survival skills learnt years ago ! Although family insist I take a mobile and a Zimmer frame nowadays..😀

Very wise  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.