Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wiper blades  (Read 2057 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
wiper blades
« on: 27 January 2019, 17:18:55 »

i am sick of whichever front wiper blades that i have on , them not lasting very long . so recommendations please on which to buy..

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: wiper blades
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2019, 19:06:35 »

You could try the Bosch Aerotwin Retrofit.
A front screen twin Pack = 24" (600mm) / 19" (475mm) AR24U / AR19U. They're available for not much more than a set  Bosch or GM originals blades.

The only issue is that the nearside 19" blade does not completely follow the windscreen curve in the lowermost parked position, the end does not quite follow the edge curvature . However both blades do properly clear the normal swept area.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2019, 20:28:07 »

I've never had an issue with genuine GM, or Champion (who used to make the original blades for Vauxhall, although I'm not sure whether they still do). Both are very reasonably priced, even the drivers side which should have an aerofoil (wind deflector) on it.
Cheap blades are a false investment in my experience, and judder without much provocation.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2019, 20:35:34 »

I get 2 to 3 years from cheap blades, and not much more from branded ones at four times the price.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2019, 20:42:15 »

I've never had an issue with genuine GM, or Champion (who used to make the original blades for Vauxhall, although I'm not sure whether they still do). Both are very reasonably priced, even the drivers side which should have an aerofoil (wind deflector) on it.
Cheap blades are a false investment in my experience, and judder without much provocation.

I replaced the blades on my Merc loads of time due to the driver's wiper starting to judder at 50mph plus, I used OE at great expense & cheaper blades too but they all soon started to judder again.

I replaced the actual arm ..... sorted!!  :y :y :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2019, 21:55:13 »

How wiper blades perform can vary greatly depending on the condition of the arm - if a previous owner has bent the arm slightly in an attempt to cure a problem such as unswept areas, or to increase the pressure of the blade on the screen, or a judder, then even new blades won't perform properly. The quality of the rubber blade is also important as cheap blades don't flex the same, especially in cold weather, and at the end of its sweep, the blade needs to change its angle on the screen in order to be at the correct position /angle to clear water sufficiently, but quietly too.
I agree with Andy B - a new arm can cure most wiper sweeping issues after new blades.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2019, 21:57:44 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2019, 17:41:31 »

The (quality) aero style definitely last longer (although I've had a few snap, always passenger side, always in sub zero temps, always at speed), but I don't think clean summer flies as well.

The (quality) traditional type don't last as long, but do clean flies better, but probably don't shift the rain as well/effectively.

I get about 18-24 months from Bosch aero style, and about 6-9 months from (quality) traditional, before the noise and effectiveness does my nut in.

The cheap shit Vista crap that euroshite sent me lasted about 4 weeks before I could no longer tolerate them.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2019, 17:45:57 »

But I seem to be overly sensitive to noisy wipers, and to ones that aren't effective.

And I detest Omega rain sensing wipers with a passion.  Why oh why oh why do the bloody things have to wipe when they detect a molecule of water within 100 miles  >:(
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2019, 17:58:12 »

But I seem to be overly sensitive to noisy wipers, and to ones that aren't effective.

And I detest Omega rain sensing wipers with a passion.  Why oh why oh why do the bloody things have to wipe when they detect a molecule of water within 100 miles  >:(
Can you not adjust the sensitivity on an omega? I forget.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2019, 18:31:37 »

Can you not adjust the sensitivity on an omega? I forget.
No. Sadly.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2019, 19:36:33 »

My windscreen fitter seemed to think he could, but deemed them to be working ok so didn't bother.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2019, 01:11:07 »

Michelin rainforce blades currently for sale in Poundland @ £5 each. & thrown in the boot as spares. the same blade is cheaper online no doubt  :-\
Don`t know how long they`re gonna last, but I note from the box that small asian hands made them in Vietnam   :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2019, 17:54:00 »

Michelin rainforce blades currently for sale in Poundland @ £5 each. & thrown in the boot as spares. the same blade is cheaper online no doubt  :-\
Don`t know how long they`re gonna last, but I note from the box that small asian hands made them in Vietnam   :)
I had some Michelin aero style from Costco on my Omega for a while, about a fiver each.  They were OK to be fair, but not as good as the Bosch ones.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.