Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver awareness course.  (Read 5981 times)

STEMO

Re: Driver awareness course.
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2016, 14:40:42 »

Just been out in the car. The 30mph road at the bottom is very wide, there was very little traffic and I just couldn't help myself. Probably hit 38. Should I hand myself in?  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 March 2016, 14:57:54 »

and it's getting easier & easier  to speed .... loads of roads that were NSL are now only 50 Our dual carrageway by-pass used to be 40 & now after a fatality years ago is now only 30  ???

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 March 2016, 09:48:40 »

My offence was 36mph in a 30mph zone. I'm completely guilty as charged so not denying that but the speed awareness course implies that all 30 zone offences are in heavily populated areas and the extra two or three miles per hour really do make a difference. I get that in built up areas, but I had just left a 'danger zone' travelling at 28mph with the utmost of concentration and was well clear of anybody/anything. The photos below show the area that I got nicked incoming and outgoing ( TheBoy knows the exact spot and never misses an opportunity to rip the piss  ;D ).
As said, I'm guilty as charged but it's very difficult to sit at 30mph for about half a mile of wilderness until you get to the NSL sign. I got caught so I now honour the full distance of the zone but the anger on the driver behinds face is a picture at times.  ;D
In a 30mph zone I now spend a lot of time staring at the speedo, which is counter-productive if a child runs out.  :-\

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 March 2016, 10:04:09 »

YZ250 was done in an area where the do-gooders had extended a 30mph limit into the realms of the ridiculous. And I'd actually argue was not enforceable, as its not an urban streetlit area, and there are no repeater signs.

Its a road I use a fair bit, and I've never seen plod with their rayguns on that stretch (but have on other stretches where people should stick to the limit), although the mobile cash generator often hides up on one of the farm entrances, much to the annoyance of the farmer.

Its the usual story of some idiot moving to the area, and then demanding everything is changed to suit them.  Line 'em up, shoot 'em. And shoot the mobile cash generator operator as well.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #34 on: 29 March 2016, 10:39:16 »

At the end of the day I think all of us can hold up our hands to have been guilty at some time of speeding, most of us would probably be annoyed at filling the governments pockets with more cash .The course does make you more aware of what can happen ,so if it upsets others that you stick to the limit , well that's just tough luck .I like driving powerful cars but really do try to observe the law and keep my money in my pocket.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 March 2016, 10:39:49 »

Yep, normal thing. Extend the 30 MPH limit a mile into the sticks, as otherwise it wouldn't enhance safety as much raise any revenue. ::)

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 March 2016, 11:08:47 »

YZ250 was done in an area where the do-gooders had extended a 30mph limit into the realms of the ridiculous. And I'd actually argue was not enforceable, as its not an urban streetlit area, and there are no repeater signs.

Its a road I use a fair bit, and I've never seen plod with their rayguns on that stretch (but have on other stretches where people should stick to the limit), although the mobile cash generator often hides up on one of the farm entrances, much to the annoyance of the farmer.

Its the usual story of some idiot moving to the area, and then demanding everything is changed to suit them.  Line 'em up, shoot 'em. And shoot the mobile cash generator operator as well.

I would have added that as a 'get out of jail' card as well. Parked on private land without the written consent of the owner.
A mobile cash generator has to be legally parked.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 March 2016, 13:02:08 »

There is also a cash generator I see very frequently in Buckingham. Definitely is and should be a 30 limit, but given the huge width of the grassy areas between the road and the houses, you could be forgiven for thinking its not a 30, although is was streetlit.

It parks itself, obscured, on the top of a steep hill, where its impossible to stick to 30mph without using brakes - even an Omega auto locked in 2nd speeds up.  I suspect its because they know that very few will use brakes downhill in such a wide, open area to maintain speed, and oddly, the council never trim that one bush that the mobile cash generator hides behind....

I would stop waving the self-abuser signs at the cash generators if I genuinely believed that the "partnership" genuinely had road safety as their primary objective, rather than revenue generation.  But they don't.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe most limits, certainly in built up areas, should be observed.  I do not believe the artificially low limits, like the current craze for dropping all roads to 50mph should be...  ...in fact, I firmly believe it makes them more dangerous.

Despite what the do-gooders claim, speed doesn't kill. It never has and never will.  I'm sure the vast majority of us have travelled at over 300mph with no ill effects. The danger is speed differential, and this is where the do-gooders have managed to opps it up badly.  Since all the 50mph limits popped up around here, and the do-gooders have now made it socially unacceptable to get within 15mph of the limit, every tit drives at 35mph.  Now the honest 50mph driver has a speed differential that is starting to become dangerous.  Additionally, following at 35mph, this frustrates the honest driver who wants to proceed at the speed limit, and thus silly overtakes happen.  The circumstantial evidence is there on every commute in.  The do-gooder response? Lower the limit again, making it worse.  Before all this wank started 5yrs or so ago, when everyone did 60mph on these roads, they only times you saw cars in ditches was in icy weather.  And that's progress?

So a) non-urban speed limits should be raised to NSL, b) those that drive significantly below the limits should be removed from the roads and shot.

That's a road safety campaign I would back.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 March 2016, 13:25:35 »

My offence was 36mph in a 30mph zone. I'm completely guilty as charged so not denying that but the speed awareness course implies that all 30 zone offences are in heavily populated areas and the extra two or three miles per hour really do make a difference. I get that in built up areas, but I had just left a 'danger zone' travelling at 28mph with the utmost of concentration and was well clear of anybody/anything. The photos below show the area that I got nicked incoming and outgoing ( TheBoy knows the exact spot and never misses an opportunity to rip the piss  ;D ).
As said, I'm guilty as charged but it's very difficult to sit at 30mph for about half a mile of wilderness until you get to the NSL sign. I got caught so I now honour the full distance of the zone but the anger on the driver behinds face is a picture at times.  ;D
In a 30mph zone I now spend a lot of time staring at the speedo, which is counter-productive if a child runs out.  :-\

...which is why I like to use cruise control in these circumstances, and which idea was rubbished by the lady motorcycle rider who lectured on my SAC, as I would not be able to concentrate on the road if CC selected!!! ???

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 March 2016, 17:28:11 »

There is also a cash generator I see very frequently in Buckingham. Definitely is and should be a 30 limit, but given the huge width of the grassy areas between the road and the houses, you could be forgiven for thinking its not a 30, although is was streetlit.

It parks itself, obscured, on the top of a steep hill, where its impossible to stick to 30mph without using brakes - even an Omega auto locked in 2nd speeds up.  I suspect its because they know that very few will use brakes downhill in such a wide, open area to maintain speed, and oddly, the council never trim that one bush that the mobile cash generator hides behind....

I would stop waving the self-abuser signs at the cash generators if I genuinely believed that the "partnership" genuinely had road safety as their primary objective, rather than revenue generation.  But they don't.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe most limits, certainly in built up areas, should be observed.  I do not believe the artificially low limits, like the current craze for dropping all roads to 50mph should be...  ...in fact, I firmly believe it makes them more dangerous.

Despite what the do-gooders claim, speed doesn't kill. It never has and never will.  I'm sure the vast majority of us have travelled at over 300mph with no ill effects. The danger is speed differential, and this is where the do-gooders have managed to opps it up badly.  Since all the 50mph limits popped up around here, and the do-gooders have now made it socially unacceptable to get within 15mph of the limit, every tit drives at 35mph.  Now the honest 50mph driver has a speed differential that is starting to become dangerous.  Additionally, following at 35mph, this frustrates the honest driver who wants to proceed at the speed limit, and thus silly overtakes happen.  The circumstantial evidence is there on every commute in.  The do-gooder response? Lower the limit again, making it worse.  Before all this wank started 5yrs or so ago, when everyone did 60mph on these roads, they only times you saw cars in ditches was in icy weather.  And that's progress?

So a) non-urban speed limits should be raised to NSL, b) those that drive significantly below the limits should be removed from the roads and shot.

That's a road safety campaign I would back.

I`m totally with you on that one, there are a couple of roads not far from me that hardly anyone drives near the speed limit where it is completely safe to do so, on is a 70mph dual carriageway where halfwits drive at 50mph in the outside lane all the time and the other is a single lane national speed limit yet no one seems to get over 40mph...makes my blood boil  >:(

Like you say....line em` up and shoot them  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 March 2016, 20:36:00 »

...which is why I like to use cruise control in these circumstances, and which idea was rubbished by the lady motorcycle rider who lectured on my SAC, as I would not be able to concentrate on the road if CC selected!!! ???

...... they begin to believe it themselves eventually  ??? ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #41 on: 29 March 2016, 20:40:05 »

The Bint who took my course knew loads of unfortunate people.

"I know a man who was taking his pregnant wife to hospital and was in a hurry. He was speeding when he hit a family at a bus stop, killing seven of them outright and maiming another thirteen. His wife had a miscarriage as a result and he is now a broken man. It it worth it?"

"I know another man who............."

Yeah, yeah........fick off........Jonah. ;D
« Last Edit: 29 March 2016, 20:48:53 by STEMO »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 March 2016, 23:32:57 »

The Bint who took my course knew loads of unfortunate people.

"I know a man who was taking his pregnant wife to hospital and was in a hurry. He was speeding when he hit a family at a bus stop, killing seven of them outright and maiming another thirteen. His wife had a miscarriage as a result and he is now a broken man. It it worth it?"

"I know another man who............."

Yeah, yeah........fick off........Jonah. ;D

;D

Did you go in the Renault?

Probably safest. Don't have to worry about leaving rubber in the car park then, at least. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 March 2016, 11:00:35 »

I almost fell asleep regularly at my SAC. The bloke who did most of the talking is a driving instructor, and spent 'most' of the course talking about himself... Yeah! Well worth £90 x 20 on the course = £1,800..
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 31 March 2016, 12:37:24 »

I almost fell asleep regularly at my SAC........

I found it riveting, it's completely changed the way I drive.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.