Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2980200 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #20745 on: 11 August 2020, 09:31:01 »

I must admit, most of the advice is take it to a dealer and get it connected to Star :)

Money seems to be no object to some of them.
Its crazy, the only work the Jag forum members are prepared to do is polish it. Weekly. All weekend.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20746 on: 11 August 2020, 10:36:58 »

I must admit, most of the advice is take it to a dealer and get it connected to Star :)

Its crazy, the only work the Jag forum members are prepared to do is polish it. Weekly. All weekend.

how is it crazy? Cars are a tool. Complicated ones, that require expertise and equipment to keep them going. Gaining expertise takes time and effort; equipment costs  money. Anyone who doesn't have that expertise or kit needs to pay someone who does. There are jobs on cars I would farm out: I don't expect to remove another gearbox for example. And there is plenty of other, everyday, work I have no interest in learning: plastering, computer faults, gardening etc. We all have our own list.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20747 on: 11 August 2020, 11:02:12 »

on the Merc forum were cured by a new sensor.
See, on a Jaaaaagggg forum, all the advice would be "take it to a dealer, and drink their coffee whilst they fix it".

;D

You need a decent car ;) ;D

Some, but not all of them  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20749 on: 11 August 2020, 11:55:53 »

Hit a pothole, dash lit up like a Xmas tree, fault code ABS front nearside sensor.

New one being delivered on Thursday.

Lets hope it is just the sensor, its not usual for a reluctance device to be damaged by a few Gs, its generally things with a bit more mass such as reluctance rings etc  :y

Fault code says it's the ABS sensor, similar warnings on the Merc forum were cured by a new sensor. :-\

Mr Haynes has a guide on how to change it, but no torque setting for the 'one time' bolt.

What was the sub code for the DTC (trouble code), open circuit, short circuit, short to batt, implausible signal?

The ECU has no way of exactly determining the failure, its a symptom report only  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20750 on: 11 August 2020, 14:39:31 »

Just dropped the Range Rover off for MOT + new front discs & pads & anything else that crops up 😎
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20751 on: 11 August 2020, 18:01:15 »

Hit a pothole, dash lit up like a Xmas tree, fault code ABS front nearside sensor.

New one being delivered on Thursday.

Lets hope it is just the sensor, its not usual for a reluctance device to be damaged by a few Gs, its generally things with a bit more mass such as reluctance rings etc  :y

Fault code says it's the ABS sensor, similar warnings on the Merc forum were cured by a new sensor. :-\

Mr Haynes has a guide on how to change it, but no torque setting for the 'one time' bolt.

What was the sub code for the DTC (trouble code), open circuit, short circuit, short to batt, implausible signal?

The ECU has no way of exactly determining the failure, its a symptom report only  :y

ESP : C111200; C327100: C326600

C is chassis. 1112 is the major fault code 02 is the minor. In this instance 1112 refers to a bad front ABS sensor.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2020, 19:06:52 by Auto Addict »
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20752 on: 11 August 2020, 18:02:45 »

on the Merc forum were cured by a new sensor.
See, on a Jaaaaagggg forum, all the advice would be "take it to a dealer, and drink their coffee whilst they fix it".

;D

You need a decent car ;) ;D

Some, but not all of them  ;)

I resemble that comment ;D
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20753 on: 11 August 2020, 22:22:16 »

how is it crazy? Cars are a tool. Complicated ones, that require expertise and equipment to keep them going. Gaining expertise takes time and effort; equipment costs  money. Anyone who doesn't have that expertise or kit needs to pay someone who does. There are jobs on cars I would farm out: I don't expect to remove another gearbox for example. And there is plenty of other, everyday, work I have no interest in learning: plastering, computer faults, gardening etc. We all have our own list.
I was referring to the amount of polishing of said "tool"
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20754 on: 11 August 2020, 22:23:16 »

Decided to modify my problematic rivet gun with a big hammer.  Thats another piece of shit that will *never* piss me off again. Ever.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20755 on: 11 August 2020, 22:26:53 »

Fitted new door actuator to the Jag, but ran out of daylight, so need to doo dooryard etc tomorrow.

I might, as always when changing JLR door actuators, have called Mr Callum a silly gentleman.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20756 on: 12 August 2020, 07:49:18 »

C is chassis. 1112 is the major fault code 02 is the minor. In this instance 1112 refers to a bad front ABS sensor.

So a quick lesson in DTCs, the first four digits are the circuit identifier, the last two, the condition identifier.

C1112 is the front left wheel speed sensor according to my info.

the 02 is an implausible signal.

That tells me that electrically all is ok (not open circuit, short circuit, short to batt) so there is a either an issues with the reluctance ring or a load of crudd affecting the signal.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20757 on: 12 August 2020, 08:16:25 »

Fitted new door actuator to the Jag, but ran out of daylight, so need to doo dooryard etc tomorrow.

I might, as always when changing JLR door actuators, have called Mr Callum a silly gentleman.

They are a well known problem but keep the manufacturer in business ! Have had both rears replaced on the RRS  & have asked my indie to replace both fronts while in for its MOT & new front pads & discs, its become a pain checking the doors to see if they have locked or not.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20758 on: 12 August 2020, 08:41:13 »

They are a well known problem but keep the manufacturer in business ! Have had both rears replaced on the RRS  & have asked my indie to replace both fronts while in for its MOT & new front pads & discs, its become a pain checking the doors to see if they have locked or not.
Indeed it is a long standing, well known issue.  I also know how much JLR get them for from their supplier, and how much they charge the dealer for them, so, yes, good for JLR to put such appallingly poor quality devices on the cars, but destroys reputation.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20759 on: 12 August 2020, 08:42:13 »

So a quick lesson in DTCs, the first four digits are the circuit identifier, the last two, the condition identifier.

C1112 is the front left wheel speed sensor according to my info.

the 02 is an implausible signal.

That tells me that electrically all is ok (not open circuit, short circuit, short to batt) so there is a either an issues with the reluctance ring or a load of crudd affecting the signal.
Am I misreading something, as the codes posted show minor/condition code is 00 ?
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.