Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocker cover gaskets  (Read 7606 times)

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker cover gaskets
« Reply #30 on: 24 August 2015, 23:39:12 »

I will certainly keep everyone informed on the performance of these Victor Reinz gaskets.There customer service was first class as i emailed Germany to find a UK stockist answered the next day with nearby stockist and address and phone number.It seemed to fit ok without problem the old GM ones were very hard and the plug wells were quite full of oil particularly the passenger side.I think i may need a coil pack for that side in the future as it was overheated and cracked but still working.If anyone knows under the plenum bridge i noticed some whiteish crystalised  powder around the water inlet i assume.I have been losing water for some time i wonder if that could be it???
« Last Edit: 24 August 2015, 23:41:04 by gbh »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #31 on: 30 August 2015, 23:46:09 »

Keep us up to date. So far the pattern Cam cover gaskets have lasted anything from a few weeks to a few months, the exception being the ones that (I think) dbug is currently trialling.

Update - the AGP ones that cost around a fiver have been on the "drivers bank" now for around 16K miles - fitted together with a new set of GM gaskets (which I had "in stock" and cost me £25 when I bought them) on the "passenger bank".  No leakage to date from either bank - in fact just serviced the car so checked carefully - and in 16K miles only needed to top up engine oil once (after 15K) with around 1/4 pint!  Engine and drive both dry.

Both gaskets fitted using new GM o-rings and black sealant - niether bank was torqued, just tightened from middle out in stages by feel (experience).  All bolts checked during recent service for continued tightness & all ok.

HTH

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 August 2015, 08:54:41 »

Keep us up to date. So far the pattern Cam cover gaskets have lasted anything from a few weeks to a few months, the exception being the ones that (I think) dbug is currently trialling.

Update - the AGP ones that cost around a fiver have been on the "drivers bank" now for around 16K miles - fitted together with a new set of GM gaskets (which I had "in stock" and cost me £25 when I bought them) on the "passenger bank".  No leakage to date from either bank - in fact just serviced the car so checked carefully - and in 16K miles only needed to top up engine oil once (after 15K) with around 1/4 pint!  Engine and drive both dry.

Both gaskets fitted using new GM O- rings and black sealant - niether bank was torqued, just tightened from middle out in stages by feel (experience).  All bolts checked during recent service for continued tightness & all ok.

HTH

Ive always found that's were they leak, never had a gasket leak.  :)
Hoof'land storeman.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 August 2015, 10:13:57 »

Victor Reinz gaskets are recommended by other with vast experience so hope the gaskets serve you well  :) At least we now have an option for these gaskets rather than being ripped off at the stealers .
Omegatitis

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 August 2015, 10:20:39 »

I am currently 'testing' eBay specials  ::)

Fitted last August. Not leaking yet. I pull a couple of plug leads every month.

Though do be aware that this is a test for OOF research purposes.

And partly cos I refuse to pay the £80-summat quid GM want.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 August 2015, 16:13:44 »

The 2.6 I bought in Plymouth in May 2015 came with a cam cover gasket set in the boot. I soon discovered the o/s cam cover gasket ws leaking, and the  small breather was well blocked. N/s CCG was not leaking. I cleared the breather and fitted the gasket supplied. No trouble so far. The make was Leader LSC, the price for 2 sets gaskets and O rings on 2/4/2015 was £15.13 inc. VAT and postage.

At least Omegas are popular enough to make it worthwhile for others to make aftermarket parts for them. I doubt the same applies to Ferraris, Rolls Royces, etc. I will report later.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #36 on: 31 August 2015, 22:55:29 »

The 2.6 I bought in Plymouth in May 2015 came with a cam cover gasket set in the boot. I soon discovered the o/s cam cover gasket ws leaking, and the  small breather was well blocked. N/s CCG was not leaking. I cleared the breather and fitted the gasket supplied. No trouble so far. The make was Leader LSC, the price for 2 sets gaskets and O rings on 2/4/2015 was £15.13 inc. VAT and postage.

At least Omegas are popular enough to make it worthwhile for others to make aftermarket parts for them. I doubt the same applies to Ferraris, Rolls Royces, etc. I will report later.

Fitted an aftermarket exhaust to my '72 Dino ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 September 2015, 17:47:11 »

The Pattern lab  ;D

Where they the ones i linked to or did you buy different ? The ones i fitted are on the old MV6  :(
Omegatitis

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 September 2015, 19:39:39 »

The Pattern lab  ;D

Where they the ones i linked to or did you buy different ? The ones i fitted are on the old MV6  :(

Yeah I think they were the ones you pointed out mate cheers  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.